Bi-Amping and Verticle Amping?

ABEX

« on: 31 Jan 2003, 03:15 pm »
I am currently in the process of having my 2-way speaker's reworked for Biamping and have a few questions.(new X\O's,Wiring and Binding Post)

I want to use Tubes for the top and a SS amp for the bottom Mid\Bass driver's.

I will be getting a set of 3-Ways also which I will probably Bi-Amp ,but Verticle amping would not be out of the question.

What I want to know is if anyone has tried using Tubes for the Tweeter's and SS for the Bass\Mids and if so what would you suggest.The speaker's have a sensitivity of between 86-88db@1watt I believe.

TIA

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2003, 03:18 pm »

ABEX

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2003, 03:33 pm »
Looks nice and I like the the series of resistors in the Vol. Control.How much do you think they will offer it for?

I can have one custom designed for my speaker's and have to make a few calls to see what might be up with it.

Marbles

House de Kris

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jan 2003, 03:40 pm »
I've used tubes on top with solid state below.  What are you asking for suggestions on?  What crossover to get, what amps to use, if you should do it?

I might suggest you delete the passive crossovers completely from your speakers if they are currently being reworked.

ABEX

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jan 2003, 03:44 pm »
What amps to use would be a start,the crossovers I will be discussing with an Audio Eng. I know  before choosing which to go with.The unit that Marbles is looking at looks intresting.

I agree about the X\O's BTW!

ABEX

« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2003, 03:47 pm »
Marbles--$530 is not to steep.I will see what my Engineer friend has in mind also.

Marbles

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jan 2003, 03:50 pm »
What's your budget for amps?

ABEX

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jan 2003, 03:53 pm »
If $$ were no object I would choose Jadis or Atma-Sphere for the topend and Pass,Lamm Jeff Rowland for the bottom.

Really not sure about the tubes for the top.I have a B&K amp at present,but maybe an old Adcom would be suitable for the bottom end.They use to impress me with their Bass output,but then again I do not know about their Mids.Maybe a McCormick .5 or Monarchy SE-100 Deluxes for the Mid\Bass Driver's and that leaves the Tubes for the Topend.

What are your suggestions?

ABEX

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jan 2003, 03:59 pm »
Marbles
I have a B&K that I could use for the Mid\Bass driver's at the moment so I would look to get the Tube Amps first.After that the SS amps.

I would go to $2K for the Tube Amps New or Used.I like to buy used to save $$ and get the best quality.After that $1500 for the Bottomend Amp\s .

Marbles

« Reply #10 on: 31 Jan 2003, 04:02 pm »
I'm not a tube guy, but I would look at these tube amps:

Bolder cables has imported a fairly pricey one (but very nice)
DIY Cables has some nice ones, well priced
nOrh has an SE9, and SE18 that are value priced
Mapltree Audio Design has some value priced ones
Decware has a very good rep,
Antique Sound labs has a good rep too.

I'm sure there are lots more too, like Dodd, Wright etc..

A good place to start your homework would be:

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tubes/bbs.html
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/set/bbs.html

ABEX

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jan 2003, 04:06 pm »
The speaker's BTW are Modified NEAR M15's.The Bass\Mid driver's are made by Bogen which where given to me by the designer and they are outstanding!
Talk about bass extension and articulation.I do not think I could get better until I got to the $2K level.

I have heard great things about the Monarchy Amps so I was thinking of them for the Bottom end and I don't know about the tubes for the top .Any suggestions are welcome.

Thx!

ABEX

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jan 2003, 04:10 pm »
Marbles
I have heard the ones you have mentioned and will do some research.Any other thoughts just post.

Thx!

House de Kris

« Reply #13 on: 31 Jan 2003, 06:27 pm »
ABEX, the tube amp I've used in the past was a Dynaco ST-70 for the tweeters.  I've used a Technics SE-9060, and Bryston 2B-LP for mids.  Also, ESS M-500, Adcom GFA-545, and Bryston 4B for the woofers.  But really, you need to select an amp that works best for you and your speakers, rather than listen to faceless people on the Internet.

For crossovers, I have a couple SAE 4000s for the fronts and I use a dbx 223 for the rear.  I use a couple DOD 825s for another system.

I actually don't use a tube on the tweeters any longer.  I now use a Bryston 4B and am happy.

ABEX

« Reply #14 on: 1 Feb 2003, 12:40 am »
I will talk to the designer to see what he has used or heard being used with good results.I have heard several different things that work with these speaker's.Anywhere from White Amps, which is now Lliano I think, to Atma-Sphere's which unless I hit the lottery I will look elsewhere for amps.

Thanks for the feedback!