How Big a Concern is Static?

Mag

How Big a Concern is Static?
« on: 8 Jun 2011, 10:39 pm »
I was wondering how big a concern is static electricity with electronics?

Can static build up and charge release be sufficient enough for a unit to power up, when off?

How about in vehicles, my car radio behaves odd at time. Can't raise or lower volume, won't shut off. It may be a short somewhere in vehicle, weak battery or can static build up be a concern in a vehicle? 8)

niels

Re: How Big a Concern is Static?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jun 2011, 10:42 pm »
No.
Sounds like you have a defect radio. Weak battery has nothing to do with that, then you wouldnt be able to start the car.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jun 2011, 11:16 pm »
Electrostatic discharge can be a huge problem with sensitive digital components - you would not believe the measures we have to go through in production to ensure no components are damaged with electrostaic charges during every stage of assembly.

james

srb

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jun 2011, 11:27 pm »
Can static build up and charge release be sufficient enough for a unit to power up, when off?

Yes!  Although in my case, it actually powered the component off.  Of course this only applies to electronically controlled power switches, not discrete mechanical on/off switches.

I have seen static discharge blow out sensitive circuits on installed components in use, not just during assembly.  I ruined the front panel flourescent display/IR receiver circuit on my HTPC with a fairly substantial finger spark.  Damn!

Steve

Mag

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2011, 03:47 pm »
Does anyone know if static build can be a problem with cd, dvd. Particularly from being stored in plastic sleeves. Like can static cause player to malfunction, misread tracks, etc.. :smoke:

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #5 on: 9 Jun 2011, 04:10 pm »
Electrostatic discharge can be a huge problem with sensitive digital components - you would not believe the measures we have to go through in production to ensure no components are damaged with electrostaic charges during every stage of assembly.
james

I absolutely would believe that. I learned a little bit about how much ESD costs the electronics industry through my job, as well as all the precautions taken during electronics assembly. It's a really big deal. There are two kinds of component failures related to ESD - "catastrophic" failure where the zapped component fails right then and there and "latent" failure where the zapped component continues to function damaged for a while and then fails in the field. So wear your wrist straps in the assembly areas, folks!

D.D.

werd

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jun 2011, 04:18 pm »
I absolutely would believe that. I learned a little bit about how much ESD costs the electronics industry through my job, as well as all the precautions taken during electronics assembly. It's a really big deal. There are two kinds of component failures related to ESD - "catastrophic" failure where the zapped component fails right then and there and "latent" failure where the zapped component continues to function damaged for a while and then fails in the field. So wear your wrist straps in the assembly areas, folks!

D.D.

You don't feel static until 8000 volts. Your computer runs on microvolts. So all it takes is a few volts of static across a mother board and you can destroy small components and not know. The device will still run but will run intermittant and may fail in 6 months.

Build your own computer and never touch anything. I use rubber latex gloves, install your power supply and plug it in first for ground.

Never let anyone else build your computer....  :nono:

sfraser

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jun 2011, 01:50 pm »
Yea we got some expensive kit in our lab, some cards costing several hundred thousand. We give and take hairy eye ball's with we are caught or catch some one inserting, removing, or storing them without proper grounding, and static bags. As a previous post mentioned, the failure is not usually immediate.

Davesworld

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jun 2011, 04:51 pm »

james

I would believe it. As an Avionics Tech at Boeing, I have to maintain the certification to even be allowed to handle the assembled components, eg "black boxes".

Davesworld

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jun 2011, 05:11 pm »
You don't feel static until 8000 volts. Your computer runs on microvolts. So all it takes is a few volts of static across a mother board and you can destroy small components and not know. The device will still run but will run intermittant and may fail in 6 months.

Build your own computer and never touch anything. I use rubber latex gloves, install your power supply and plug it in first for ground.

Never let anyone else build your computer....  :nono:

I think latex may allow static buildup as well, ever rub a balloon on your clothing and have it stick to walls? If in doubt, wear a wrist strap grounded to the case or ground yourself and work one handed, better to just buy a wrist strap. If you will do a lot of handling, a special mat to stand on as well as to put on the work bench is a good idea. Many work shoes you buy have static resistant soles.

If you see the ESD symbol on the packaging, take the necessary precautions. You can't harm a component from being too careful with ESD.

As far as packaging, here is a partial rundown.

Some bags such as pink poly bags do not generate static but they also do not protect against it.

Other packaging such as metallic coated bags will protect from static AND not generate it.

1oldguy

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jul 2011, 06:54 pm »
I work in a place that require me to wear a jacket and foot straps to prevent problems.The floor has a special coating as well.
We are more powerful than we think.... :thumb:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #11 on: 7 Jul 2011, 07:04 pm »
Static is a problem here in the desert. I make sure my feet don't rub on the carpet before touching the stereo.

Wayner

« Reply #12 on: 7 Jul 2011, 08:44 pm »
If your into vinyl, it can destroy a cartridge's coil windings. There are a few folks here at the Audiocircles that have had that experience. If you start noticing static discharge when playing your system, I suggest you touch something grounded first before touching any of the electronics. I do find this problem more severe in the winter tho.........

Wayner  8)

mystabg

« Reply #13 on: 7 Jul 2011, 08:56 pm »
I was introduced to the violent results of static about six years ago when I touched my preamp and the volume instantly went to unity gain and scared the ---- out of me.

Since then anytime I touch my componets I  touch the door hindge next to my rack and discharge myself FIRST.
I treat my HT system the same but my wife needs constant reminders to do the same.