Compressed upper back nerve.

felixscerri

Compressed upper back nerve.
« on: 8 Jun 2011, 08:45 pm »
G'day all, I somehow managed to suffer a compressed nerve in my upper back (C7?) whilst doing some routine home gym work the other week (about 2 weeks ago), causing intense pain in my left arm and a loss of feeling in my thumb and another nearby finger. 

It is getting better very slowly and I believe these things cure themcselves but this pain is quite severe and ongoing.  Any tips for general treatment please?  Regards, Felix.

JCarney

Re: Compressed upper back nerve.
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jun 2011, 08:52 pm »
If you have chiropractor, go see him/her. When stuff gets out of alignment for me, that's what I do. I own a painting business, and if it were not for my chiro, I'm not sure I could walk upright.

JCarney

felixscerri

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jun 2011, 09:07 pm »
G'day mate, thanks for that.  Yes I've already seen a local physio. and my GP who has prescribed somme pretty heavy meds (Ondone) for the pain, and I have another physio appointment tomorrow. 

Things do seem to be improving, but it's very slow going and the pain is difficult to tolerate.  Regards, Felix. 

Avalon

• Rock on!
    • Avalon A-V Consultants
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jun 2011, 09:14 pm »
If you're lucky, it will subside but might take some time.
Mid-May, I pulled luggage around JFK for an hour resulting in 6 hours of torture flying to UK due to bulging disc C7-T1 - same side, left arm, but elbow, wrist. Just cleared now.
I believe the nerve lining/covers swell when inflamed and a vicious circle develops as the swollen tissues can't slip thru the available gaps.  Major pain killers involved and anti-inflammatories, plus care to keep stomach loaded and avoid bleeding there due drugs.  Chiro not indicated unless a nerve is definitely trapped. There's an off-chance manipulation could reduce disc bulging if that's happening, but it could easily make it worse.
If the disc blows, debris can obstruct gaps and/or impinge directly on the nerves.  Then you'll know it!  If you lose feeling or control in fingers etc, you must present as emergency, since prolonged delay may cost you function.  If it's "just" pain, the broken debris and gel from within the disc (if any) might dry and shrink, taking possibly weeks (6 not uncommon), then it comes away from the nerves and voila, the pain goes.
But your neck/spine is weaker and you may be 1 or 2mm shorter.
Try avoiding gym exercises that compress vulnerable discs.
You must now manage carefully.
My situation arose from RSI after 30 years of using computer monitors...
Wishing you a speedy recovery!

tanchiro58

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jun 2011, 09:38 pm »
You definitely need a Chiropractor to adjust your lower neck area. I do not think a PT and/or MD can do anything about your injury except give you painkillers and some home exercises.

What kind of job are you doing for living?

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jun 2011, 10:10 pm »
Anti-inflammatories first, a GOOD chiropractor second. As you gain some movement incorporate stretching exercises third. More than likely you should be back to normal in 2-3 weeks.

felixscerri

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jun 2011, 11:44 pm »
G'day all, thanks for the comments.  Well 'officially' I am retired with a disability pension resulting from permanent spinal cord injury suffered in 1988, an entirely separate and different situation to the present.  I'll see if I can find a chiropractor locally.  Regards, Felix.