How does a single driver do 20-20,000 hz?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: How does a single driver do 20-20,000 hz?
« Reply #40 on: 16 Apr 2012, 12:54 am »
i'd be surprised if lowther dx4's or dx55's would effect those cabinets enough to muddy the sound even a little, yet alone "like crazy".  close to the driver, the cabinet construction would actually be quite sturdy, due to its small size...

doug s.

If they produce any decent amounts of deep bass, the unreinforced walls near the mouth appear to be anything but sturdy versus the pressures produced by horn loading.  Note that the average speaker cabinet produces spls comparable to the drivers themselves.  This appears to be an acoustic nightmare.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #41 on: 16 Apr 2012, 12:56 am »
I would tend to agree with Doug on this. Although sometimes resonating cabinets can be fun and sound nice. I've grown to really enjoy these.

These cabinets I've heard about and are basically a modified open baffle.  With the curved walls, they would be much stiffer and under far less pressure loadings.

ejfud

« Reply #42 on: 16 Apr 2012, 01:12 am »
The original Reso cabinets really aren't an OB cabinet. Back is covered with one or two ports. These are a little experiment cabinet I've been playing with. I'm using fullrangers that work in OB.

Bent or not it's still 1/8" wood and does impart a certain "color" to the sound. The difference that can be heard with different bracing in the cabinet is rather dramatic. Will they pound bass, no, but they do sound very nice.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #43 on: 16 Apr 2012, 01:16 am »
If they produce any decent amounts of deep bass, the unreinforced walls near the mouth appear to be anything but sturdy versus the pressures produced by horn loading.  Note that the average speaker cabinet produces spls comparable to the drivers themselves.  This appears to be an acoustic nightmare.

i guess we will simply have to agree to disagree.  i don't see those panels under any pressure at all - the opening is too far away from the back of the diver - at least 10'?  and, w/the opening so big, i don't see how there would be any pressure issues to cause them to wibrate.  the "decent amount of deep bass" is handled by the monster tubes behind them.  what may appear to you to be an acoustic nightmare appears to me to be acoustic nirwana.   :green:  i suspect mr nelson pass knows what he's doing, and he would have damped those panels if he heard or measured any problems.   8)  it would not be too hard to do. 

ymmv,

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #44 on: 16 Apr 2012, 01:21 am »
The original Reso cabinets really aren't an OB cabinet. Back is covered with one or two ports. These are a little experiment cabinet I've been playing with. I'm using fullrangers that work in OB.

Bent or not it's still 1/8" wood and does impart a certain "color" to the sound. The difference that can be heard with different bracing in the cabinet is rather dramatic. Will they pound bass, no, but they do sound very nice.

i have also heard of these cabinets; the curvature does not make them stiff enough to resist wibrations; in fact they are specifically designed to have the cabinet add its resonance to the sound.  whether or not it is successful, i dunno; i have never heard these speakers, originals or clones.

doug s.

ejfud

« Reply #45 on: 16 Apr 2012, 01:44 am »
I'll be honest I built the Reso cabinets more as a woodworking exercise than anything else, but found I really like them with the Saba Greencones. Which lead me to trying fullrange drivers. Lord knows I have enough to roll in the cabinets.

Anyone is welcome to have a listen if in MN.

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #46 on: 16 Apr 2012, 04:18 am »
The walls on those Kleinhorns are so thin, they've got to color/muddy the sound like crazy.

BTW the Fostex F200A are 10 pound 8 inch whizzerless AlNiCo drivers that are rated 30 - 20,000 Hz, 8 ohms, 90 dB/w/m.  Add a cabinet for more bass.  Unfortunately they keep going up in price (currently $975/pair from Madisound).

I don't think the walls of an exponential horn are pressure-loaded the way a sealed or ported box speaker would be.