Sustained 2 ohm Drive Capability - 4B-SST/2

SoundGame

Sustained 2 ohm Drive Capability - 4B-SST/2
« on: 7 Jun 2011, 08:26 pm »
With another thread (won't mention it) on this Circle, I noticed that some of Bryston's competition quote power figure capabilities into 2 ohm loads.

I would be curious whether my Bryston 4B-SST/2 is capable of sustaining output into a 2ohm load for any prolonged period of time without overdriving / thermal shut-down and/or unacceptable distortion figures.

Perhaps someone would know if the 4B has been tested or run into 2ohm load with continuous (RMS) output.  If so - what would distortion and output ratings look like.

Not that I'm doing this anytime soon but it would be good to know if at some point I decide to look the way of low ohm speakers.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Sustained 2 ohm Drive Capability - 4B-SST/2
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2011, 10:09 pm »
With another thread (won't mention it) on this Circle, I noticed that some of Bryston's competition quote power figure capabilities into 2 ohm loads.

I would be curious whether my Bryston 4B-SST/2 is capable of sustaining output into a 2ohm load for any prolonged period of time without overdriving / thermal shut-down and/or unacceptable distortion figures.

Perhaps someone would know if the 4B has been tested or run into 2ohm load with continuous (RMS) output.  If so - what would distortion and output ratings look like.

Not that I'm doing this anytime soon but it would be good to know if at some point I decide to look the way of low ohm speakers.

i would not recommend the 4B into 2 ohm REACTIVE loads for sustained periods - thats what the 7B and 28B's are for.

james

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2011, 10:33 pm »
What is a reactive load, James?

D.D.

BrysTony

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2011, 10:35 pm »

That other company uses Autoformers in their amps.  I am not an EE so I can't explain what they are but they effectively raise the load that the amp sees.  There are 3 sets of speaker taps for 2, 4 and 8 ohms and they provide the same watt maximum for each tap.  As far as I know there are not any other manufacturers using autoformers because of cost/mass/volume.  It seems that the other manufacturers believe that those budgets can be better used in other ways to provide better sound.  The same for those blue meters -- Many think they look great but they are not useful.  For example, on a 200 watt amp the first half of the scale gets you to 2 watts and 20 watts is at ~ 3/4 of the scale.  The needle flies around but doesn't tell you anything.  More cost without contribution to sound. 

I suppose I am sounding like I am bashing that company and I do not mean to do that -- they have a different philosophy, they are successful and they sell to a particular customer type IMO. 

I used their equipment for about 10 years and it sounds good.  I currently have one of their late model integrated amps with autoformers and blue meters that is sitting cold on a shelf since I replaced it with a BP26 and 7BSST2:thumb:

Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 7 Jun 2011, 10:50 pm »
What is a reactive load, James?

D.D.

Hi D D

Reactive loads are loads that tend to store energy. Typical example of this kind of load are Electrostatics which act like a big capacitor and push back.

Most dynamic speakers are easier to drive and are more resistive so the amplifier has an easier time of it. So a 2 ohm load on a normal dynamic or resistive load speaker would not cause a 4B much trouble. You also have to figure in the impedance curve as well of course when assessing drive capability.

James

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 7 Jun 2011, 11:49 pm »
That other company uses Autoformers in their amps.  I am not an EE so I can't explain what they are but they effectively raise the load that the amp sees.  There are 3 sets of speaker taps for 2, 4 and 8 ohms and they provide the same watt maximum for each tap.  As far as I know there are not any other manufacturers using autoformers because of cost/mass/volume.  It seems that the other manufacturers believe that those budgets can be better used in other ways to provide better sound.  The same for those blue meters -- Many think they look great but they are not useful.  For example, on a 200 watt amp the first half of the scale gets you to 2 watts and 20 watts is at ~ 3/4 of the scale.  The needle flies around but doesn't tell you anything.  More cost without contribution to sound. 

I suppose I am sounding like I am bashing that company and I do not mean to do that -- they have a different philosophy, they are successful and they sell to a particular customer type IMO. 

I used their equipment for about 10 years and it sounds good.  I currently have one of their late model integrated amps with autoformers and blue meters that is sitting cold on a shelf since I replaced it with a BP26 and 7BSST2:thumb:

Tony
Auto-transformer is a transformer in which the primary and secondary wind are connected, sometimes there is only one winded.

Transformers are a necessary evil in tube amps, but transistor amps with an output transformer are an absolete design, a waste of money, as it is an expensive part.
Hope you like this sound.
Gustavo

> Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a cat or dog from the street. On the streets pets live only two years average.

SoundGame

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jun 2011, 02:06 am »
Okay thanks James and all - though I only have a basic technical understanding, this seems to make sense.  I'll stay away from 2-ohm electrostats. 

I do recall that the Mc's quote the same output power into 8, 4 and 2 ohms but it's good to understand why. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 8 Jun 2011, 11:07 am »
Okay thanks James and all - though I only have a basic technical understanding, this seems to make sense.  I'll stay away from 2-ohm electrostats. 

I do recall that the Mc's quote the same output power into 8, 4 and 2 ohms but it's good to understand why.

Same output on transistor amps? - that seems strange as usually power goes up as the impedance drops - maybe you mean tube amps?

james

SoundGame

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jun 2011, 11:42 am »
Same output on transistor amps? - that seems strange as usually power goes up as the impedance drops - maybe you mean tube amps?

james

Hi James - just went to their site.  Even on their solid-state integrated amps, they quote power into 8 / 4 / 2 ohms.  The 6600 model shows a flat output regardless of load (due to what I percieve is an active "autoformer" design).  Power on this model is quoted as follows:

Watts x Two @ 2/4/8 ohms200, 200, 200 Autoformer Coupled

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 8 Jun 2011, 12:03 pm »
Hi James - just went to their site.  Even on their solid-state integrated amps, they quote power into 8 / 4 / 2 ohms.  The 6600 model shows a flat output regardless of load (due to what I percieve is an active "autoformer" design).  Power on this model is quoted as follows:

Watts x Two @ 2/4/8 ohms200, 200, 200 Autoformer Coupled

OK now I get it - I did not realize you were speaking about the auto former version.

James

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #10 on: 8 Jun 2011, 05:20 pm »
I currently have one of their late model integrated amps with autoformers and blue meters that is sitting cold on a shelf since I replaced it with a BP26 and 7BSST2:thumb:
Tony

:o   :icon_lol:  :thumb: