Golden Ratio Fonken Build

sts9fan

Golden Ratio Fonken Build
« on: 6 Jun 2011, 04:28 pm »
Yesterday I started cutting wood for a pair of Planet 10 HiFi "Classic Golden Ratio Fonken" for the Fe127e.  I chose the project for three reasons. First its square and I still need more practice before I tackle fancy boxes, second I have a pair of the drivers and third I trust Dave on the single driver topic.  I just started so no pictures yet.
http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/box-plans/ClassicFonkenGR-map.pdf

Lyndon

Re: Golden Ratio Fonken Build
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2011, 04:38 pm »
sts9fan,
Keep me informed!  I was very interested in building this model, and to a lesser degree, the Metronome from the Burning Amp festival, if I was going to try a flea amp single driver system.
http://web.mac.com/scress1958/iWeb/Steves_Tube_Trials/Metronome-Speaker.html

Lyndon

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2011, 07:45 am »
Yesterday I started cutting wood for a pair of Planet 10 HiFi "Classic Golden Ratio Fonken" for the Fe127e.  I chose the project for three reasons. First its square and I still need more practice before I tackle fancy boxes, second I have a pair of the drivers and third I trust Dave on the single driver topic.  I just started so no pictures yet.
http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/box-plans/ClassicFonkenGR-map.pdf

Are you making the brace as shown in the design? This looks critical to get the performance out of the box. The side wall is less than 6" internal?

Slot loading is a good idea for something like this imo. As ugly as the box looks on paper, I bet it sounds killer. I assume this is a tested design and I would make the brace exactly as shown.
neo

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2011, 05:15 pm »
It is tested. Quite a few have been built. The brace, and proper fitting of it, are crucial to getting maximum downward dynamic range. A not commonly known trick to get a subtle improvement is adding an extra layer of material to the sides or a cleat block on the inside so that a larger champher or round over can be put on the vertical edges.

dave

sts9fan

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2011, 03:22 pm »
Call me strange but I like big square speakers.

chrisby

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jun 2011, 07:23 pm »
Call me strange but I like big square speakers.

OK, you're strange - where's this goin?  :thumb:

sts9fan

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2011, 10:30 pm »
And yes, I plan to follow the design. 

sts9fan

« Reply #7 on: 12 Sep 2011, 03:18 pm »
These will be finished today. Pics to follow.

sts9fan

« Reply #8 on: 17 Sep 2011, 04:18 pm »
Here are a few pictures of the build.  The finished pictures suck.  I did the baffle with a black stain with a uneven application and sanded it for a distressed look.  I then applied spray laquer.  The main body is truck bed liner. 

Mikeinsacramento

« Reply #9 on: 20 Sep 2011, 03:47 am »
I like the way they look!  Wish I could hear them.

chrisby

« Reply #10 on: 20 Sep 2011, 06:43 pm »
listening impressions to share yet?