A giant killer indeed

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: A giant killer indeed
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2011, 07:15 pm »
Did you get one also?? Nice...where is a link to the buy it site....

milford3

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2011, 07:24 pm »
Yes,  mine, all mine.  I bought it to free up AVR from the back speakers.  It's fantastic.  I still love my MP 301-MK2.  But Audio Sourse AMP does the job brillantly.

milford3

milford3

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jun 2011, 07:47 pm »
http://www.audiosource.net/

Heres the web site Eclein

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 5 Jun 2011, 10:29 pm »
Parts Express has the AMP100 for $99...not bad

Don_S

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jun 2011, 11:11 pm »
Less than that via Amazon.  As of this posting $97.51 with free Super Saver shipping.  Lots of unhappy owners so buyer beware.  As they used to say on NYPD Blue: "Be careful out there."

Parts Express has the AMP100 for $99...not bad

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 5 Jun 2011, 11:15 pm »
None for me I'm all set with amps myself....

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 6 Jun 2011, 01:52 pm »
Less than that via Amazon.  As of this posting $97.51 with free Super Saver shipping.  Lots of unhappy owners so buyer beware.  As they used to say on NYPD Blue: "Be careful out there."

At B&H Photo for $89.95, and yes, many unhappy owners at Amazon over two issues.  Apparently several units self destructed, some catastrophically, also the low level signal sensing is non-defeatable, shutting the unit on and off during speech or soft music.  SQ reports were varied from love it to hate it.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #9 on: 6 Jun 2011, 10:32 pm »
I always wondered how good their amps were, the design is very simple.  I owned a set of Audiosource speakers and they were ok.

And yes, it got mixed reviews everywhere.

wushuliu

• Music a bubble, not looking for trouble.
« Reply #10 on: 6 Jun 2011, 11:00 pm »
I have the older Audiosource Amp 3 from when it was still a USA based company. Really good amp. Seems quality took a nose dive once they went overseas. I considered the amp linked above but yeah the amazon reviews are a little scary.

chgolatin2

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jun 2011, 03:06 pm »
Amazon have some very good reviews on this little solid state amp, however, I prefer tubes myself  :green: :thumb:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #12 on: 9 Jun 2011, 03:28 am »
I have the older Audiosource Amp 3 from when it was still a USA based company. Really good amp. Seems quality took a nose dive once they went overseas. I considered the amp linked above but yeah the amazon reviews are a little scary.

I may be somewhat prejudiced as I owned an Audiosource preamp for about 3 or 4 days back in the early 2000's.  It worked intermittently and sounded mediocre, it was quickly returned to the seller for refund.  However I hope milford3 has great success with his amp and has many years of continued enjoyment, it certainly is in the cheap and cheerful sweetspot.

As for Amazon reviews in general, if you look at the "most recent" which is the default setting, you get mostly new owners that are excited about their purchase.  Looking at the worst ratings first gives a better picture.  Good products may have a couple of jerks or unsophisticated reviewers with bad opinions, but they very quickly peter out.  Bad products have a long string of well meaning reviewers listing carefully worded concerns.  It's all pretty easy to spot if you "start from the back".  Works for Audioreview as well. 

ltr317

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jun 2011, 05:59 am »
I may be somewhat prejudiced as I owned an Audiosource preamp for about 3 or 4 days back in the early 2000's.  It worked intermittently and sounded mediocre, it was quickly returned to the seller for refund.  However I hope milford3 has great success with his amp and has many years of continued enjoyment, it certainly is in the cheap and cheerful sweetspot.

As for Amazon reviews in general, if you look at the "most recent" which is the default setting, you get mostly new owners that are excited about their purchase.  Looking at the worst ratings first gives a better picture.  Good products may have a couple of jerks or unsophisticated reviewers with bad opinions, but they very quickly peter out.  Bad products have a long string of well meaning reviewers listing carefully worded concerns.  It's all pretty easy to spot if you "start from the back".  Works for Audioreview as well.

That has been my experience with several Audiosource amps.  They are okay for the money, but mediocre in absolute sonic terms.