ASIO

vpolineni

ASIO
« on: 6 Apr 2004, 04:20 pm »
It turns out I've been using waveout for playback with foobar2k... as per echidina's suggestion, I tried downloading an asio plugin but I cannot get it to work with foobar... does J River Media Center have the asio plugin?  I'd rather buy that and not have the hassle of trying to get it work with foobar....

Bwanagreg

ASIO
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2004, 09:31 pm »
J River does have ASIO output as a menu option. I tried it with a USB ASIO driver to a Powerwave and it worked fine.  What sound card are you using? It needs to be ASIO compliant - could that be your problem?

vpolineni

ASIO
« Reply #2 on: 6 Apr 2004, 09:49 pm »
Greg, I'm pretty sure my soundcard is compliant.. it's a RME HDSP 9632... is there some website where I can check?

Bwanagreg

ASIO
« Reply #3 on: 6 Apr 2004, 10:15 pm »
You'd have to check with the manufacturer to see if a special driver is required - it might be. It would just be a matter of downloading it (or it may be on a CD that came with the card).

That's the limit of my knowledge. There are a bunch of experts in this area at the avs-forum.com HTPC forum.

Good luck.
Greg

EchiDna

ASIO
« Reply #4 on: 6 Apr 2004, 11:32 pm »
I though the RME had asio natively? in effect, the card you have is known to be one of the best around, no matter what the price is...
see here:
http://www.rme-audio.com/english/hdsp/hdsp9632.htm

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS AND FEATURES
Supported sample frequencies: 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 64 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz, 192 kHz
8 buffer sizes/latencies available: 1.5 ms, 3 ms, 6 ms, 12 ms, 23 ms, 46 ms, 93 ms, 186 ms  
ASIO zero CPU load technology: 0 (zero!)% CPU load when using ALL 32 channels!  
All settings changeable in realtime  
Automatic and intelligent master/slave clock control  
Enhanced Mixed mode: All inputs and outputs simultaneously operational  
TMS (Track Marker Support): Supports CD/DAT start-IDs and the read out of CD subcode  
Unique status windows for record and playback, showing mode and sample rate  
Analog input and output level configurable LoGain/+4 dBu/-10 dBV via software  
Balanced analog input and output, 24 bit/192 kHz converter. Dynamic range >110 dBA
Low impedance output (75 ohm) for headphones, stepless output level through software faders
Speaker Protection minimizes noise during power on/off
Digital inputs and outputs ground-free transformer coupled
Super low jitter design: < 1 ns in PLL mode (44.1 kHz, optical in)

FWIW, the ASIO plugins can be very old school (read: difficult) to install, I feel like I'm back in the days of DOS when I have to copy file X to location Y otherwise, no way it will work!

good luck with getting ASIO happening, I recommend a few searches on AVS forum as the database of information is very large there....

Phat Phreddy

• http://www.PhatPhreddy.net
ASIO
« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2004, 01:25 pm »
I believe the RME driver handles ASIO natively...

The acid test is to play a DTS CD (not DVD) and see if it plays or if you get white noise... Playing a DTS CD and preserving the bitstream shows no kmangler interaction.