The Home Entertainment Show (Newport Beach) Report 2011

John Casler

SET UP DAY

Arrived the Hilton yesterday, and looks like it should be a good show.

By the time I arrived, the boxes were all in the room (411) and waiting to be opened and set up.  After being used to the Ballrooms of the shows in Vegas, the challenges of a small room are great.

The basic system was as projected in Show thread and we set about unpacking and placing gear while Commander Cheney barked orders and words of enthusiam.  :lol:

We were joined by AudioCircle enthusiast Russ Straton (Rustafarian) who is a VMPS RM30 owner and knows his way around audio gear.

To our surprise the system fell together quite quickly with few glitches and in no time we were hearing music, and evaluating what sonic adjustments might be needed.

Russ even had his I-Phone frequency analyzer app out to catch the stray mode/node that our ears might not.  Brian expertly adjusted the D-OXO and again in rather short order, we had the system sounding pretty good, for a set up day.  After a night of the system being on, it should be show ready.

We even had a special chair (sweet seat).

Since the main thing about the RM30 Series II was the new 10" Passive Radiator, I was curious as to how the BASS would propagate in the room.  Well in a word. . excellent.  It was so good that we didn't even turn on the New ORIGINAL sub (12" active/15" passive and 500wpc plate amp)

Gotta leave now, but will report more later.

John Casler

Re: The Home Entertainment Show (Newport Beach) Report 2011
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2011, 02:28 pm »
WOW!  What a show.

Without a doubt, the BEST audio show ever.  Even better than the current CES/THE Show in Vegas.

From the stand point of exhibitors, attendee traffic, and ease of getting around this was the MOTHER of all Audio Shows.  Only bugaboo was parking and my friend Bob Levi said that was because they had over 5,000 attendees!!!

I was told by many attendees it was even far better than RMAF!!

In any event, we went through over 450 information hand outs, and that was only a portion of the traffic (not everyone took info)

I ran out of business cards the first day!! :duh:

The system sounded absolutely sublime.  Early on we developed a skip in the CD player on CD-r's and had to borrow an OPPO to use as a transport into the DAC-9 and it performed admirably.

While it is always difficult to get a system to sound good in a small hotel room, this system was up an running with little adjustment in just a couple hours.  The high quality of the "parts" and the adjustability/flexibility of the new Series II "modded" D-OXO made set up a snap for the Master Cheney who is a veteran of these wars.

The new Controller ($1600 msrp) is spectacular in how it handles the RM30 and the room in which it is placed.  After notching out a couple little problems (caused by the room), one of which was spotted by Russ Stratton (Russtafarian) with his i-phone spectrum analyzer app, we had pretty incredible sound and only had to wait for the gear to fully warm up.

While some analog die hards might opt for the Analog OXO ($450msrp) with TRT caps ($1200 msrp), it is easy to see what a bargain the $1600 modded unit is with all its capabilities, and fine adjustments.

The biggest problem we had this show was the same one fine restaurants have and that is "turnover".  Many people sat down and wouldn't leave!!!!  Then they would leave, go downstairs to the marketplace to find their favorite CD and come back 2 or three times :o :o

Between the NuFORCE DAC-9, the AMPZILLA equipment, the WyWires Cabling thorugh and through, the Audience Power Conditioner, and the RM30 Series II with the New Modded Controller, we had one of, if not the best sounding rooms in the show.

Oh, and Harry had  a sore throat, so he wasn't up for the arm wrestling (couldn't make the required grunts and other gutteral sounds)  :lol: :lol:

Will write more after I begin to catch up.

Here are a couple pics:

More to come. . . . .

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2011, 05:03 pm »
I sure had a blast.  It was great to meet Brian for the first time and warm to his "unique" sense of humor during setup.  I thought I had the best sounding pair of RM30s on the planet, but I had to concede to Brian that he has edged me out with the V2 pair he brought to the show.

John, add this CD to your "reference" track list.  The CD is called Dialoghi by Elinor Frey & David Fung on Yarlung Records.  It's a beautiful recording of piano & cello that's available from our buddy Hajime Sato at http://eastwindimport.com/.  This is what we used to sniff out those mid bass bumps during setup.  The deep sustained cello notes on the first two tracks tell you pretty quickly where the room/speaker standing waves are.

The ipod touch/iphone RTA is a free app from Studio Six http://www.studiosixdigital.com/rta.html.  Their Audio Tools suite of apps was reviewed in TAS (May 2011).

Russ
« Last Edit: 6 Jun 2011, 10:03 pm by Russtafarian »

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2011, 11:25 pm »
Hi Russ,

Yes, I am a big David Fung/Yarlung fan already.  Finally someone gets a piano recorded correctly.

Here are a couple more photos of the SHOW

simoon

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jun 2011, 12:44 am »
I loved the sound of these!

By far, the best sounding speakers at THE Show at anywhere near their price.

They truly are one of the great bargains in high end.

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jun 2011, 12:55 am »
Jon L posted this pic HERE on Audio Circle, and it shows the new CDWG well.  Thanks for the kind words Jon.

Visit the thread for more show reporting

John Casler

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jun 2011, 01:23 am »
I loved the sound of these!

By far, the best sounding speakers at THE Show at anywhere near their price.

They truly are one of the great bargains in high end.

The single biggest question we got at the show was "is this price a misprint"? when people picked up the information sheet.

Instead of $3500 pr, people thought B had dropped a ZERO, or at least it was $3500 "each".

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 8 Jun 2011, 03:23 am »
Just tell them that they are in fact $3500 each, and pocket the excess as profit.

John Casler

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jun 2011, 01:16 am »
Just tell them that they are in fact $3500 each, and pocket the excess as profit.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If only that would work.

John Casler

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jun 2011, 08:17 pm »
Here is the pic and report from Stereophile

PICTURE

REPORT click HERE

Shear Bliss

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jun 2011, 04:08 am »
Holy Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeet, small room ... more like a closet, hope it had some depth. I can appreciate the "horrors" EVERY showing manufactor has/must face in trying to get optimal power and room space, allowing said systems to breath/bloom. Easier said than done under show conditions for sure. Basically under the gun, trying to put your best product/ or system togather in a rush. I think Big B and Crew revel in the challange, from the pic of the room, I would"ve run! Congratulation to all envolved. ..... NOW, to the topic of squatters coming back for 3rds/4ths ... if theres anything I despise more than a Audiophile who knows what room/system is set-up the best, playing the best tunes of show, having the gall ... to buy and bring back new music to listen to on the same spkrs/system over and over again 2, 3, 4, times ..... is just not acceptabe PERIOD! I propose you bring me and my conciderable girth (he-he) and loving VMPS ears to the next show, to act as usher/doorman of sorts ..... naw, would"nt work, I"d just myself end up a squatter, with a big Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet eating grin on my mug also!

DW.

PLMONROE

« Reply #11 on: 12 Jun 2011, 04:00 pm »
I propose you bring me and my conciderable girth (he-he) and loving VMPS ears to the next show, to act as usher/doorman of sorts!

DW.
AHHH - a bouncer! On the other hand as long as we have John I think all that would be needed would be for him to tap the offending individual on the shoulder and point to the door. That should sufficiently intimidate anybody!   :lol:

Paul

PLMONROE

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jun 2011, 04:05 pm »
On further thought he would need to exercise caution and not flex his biceps while pointing to the door, otherwise we would need to bring in a mop.

Paul

John Casler

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jun 2011, 06:47 pm »
And Mr. Monroe, where were YOU for this show?

Liked to have seen you out here in So Cal.

Maybe next year?

PLMONROE

« Reply #14 on: 18 Jun 2011, 05:13 am »
Will try - sounds like I missed a good one!

Paul

John Casler

« Reply #15 on: 30 Jun 2011, 01:22 am »
Audiogon has finally posted a report on THE Show.

Looks like they arrived early in the set-up

wywires

« Reply #16 on: 30 Jun 2011, 03:11 pm »
Had lunch on Tuesday with one of the organizers of THE Show. There were over 5000 "unique" visitors. Next year, they plan on expanding to the Atrium Hotel next door with over 200 exhibit rooms. They are talking about maybe 7000-8000 visitors.

The only really annoying thing was the room across the hall from ours. I don't remember who it was, but the idiots had a very expensive and horrible and boomy sounding system and they kept playing "Rumors" over and over and over and over so loud that my ears were bleeding as soon as I got out of the elevator. Most people however are considerate of their show neighbors.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #17 on: 30 Jun 2011, 03:26 pm »
We had the same problem on our floor.

I got to talk to Bob or Richard about this for next year. :)
Had lunch on Tuesday with one of the organizers of THE Show. There were over 5000 "unique" visitors. Next year, they plan on expanding to the Atrium Hotel next door with over 200 exhibit rooms. They are talking about maybe 7000-8000 visitors.

The only really annoying thing was the room across the hall from ours. I don't remember who it was, but the idiots had a very expensive and horrible and boomy sounding system and they kept playing "Rumors" over and over and over and over so loud that my ears were bleeding as soon as I got out of the elevator. Most people however are considerate of their show neighbors.

John Casler

« Reply #18 on: 30 Jun 2011, 03:34 pm »
You guys are correct, and while the organizers "did" consider having rooms "side by side" (which would also have been lousy) they didn't think that some would be "across the hall with open doors".

I posted about this before in some thread and it is easy to improve this next year, by simply staggering the rooms on each side of the hallway.

I see this show as becoming (if it is not already) THE audio show of the year.

Richard has finally hit stride on his shows and has done so WITHOUT the synergy of the CES.

I think next year, we need to get in a larger room w/RM50's and let it eat.

Now if they just clean up the parking :roll:

wywires

« Reply #19 on: 30 Jun 2011, 03:35 pm »
We had the same problem on our floor.

I got to talk to Bob or Richard about this for next year. :)

I think we should ask Bob and Richard to somehow communicate some ground rules regarding SPL's. It's a touchy subject but we need to figure something out. For the most part, it's not a huge issue but it happens. In Vegas at the Fritz room we had the Soundlab room across the hall doing the same ridiculous SPL's and refusing to close their door. I think of you need that kind of volume to have your system sound impressive, there is a fundamental problem.