Standard Magnepan stand tweak for carpeting

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Standard Magnepan stand tweak for carpeting
« on: 27 May 2011, 11:43 pm »
I have Magnepan 3.6s on ordinary carpeting.
The stands sink  into the carpet some.
So i thought about sticking something under the ends of the stands to 'stiffen' the stands up in relation to the carpeting.
i used some 3/16" pins I had laying around from some cabinet shelving.
So I stuck two at each far end of the leg of the stands.
And the speaker if wobbled a bit would sway less and tighter then without the pins.
The sound is also tighter! more realistic.
(actually it is a tiny little bit 'brighter' too.)
So anything under the tips of the stock stand brackets can make the Maggies sound a little better.
I am going to try some 1/4 inch thick rollers or square or triangular profile things (whatever i can find cheap!!)
You Maggies would have to be on carpet, and carpet thick enough for the stands to sink into it a bit for this to work.
I changed theem a bit to be one under the tweeter side on each end, and three under the bass side. The highs were a little to etched with the first equal sets under the ends of the stands.
This is better.
« Last Edit: 28 May 2011, 01:09 am by Elizabeth »

rw@cn

Re: Standard Magnepan stand tweak for carpeting
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2011, 01:43 pm »
I hear that the Mye stands are very good. You might try some sort of thick platform (see the Mapleshade site http://mapleshadestore.com/feedback_maplespeakerplinths.php).

pelliott321

Re: Standard Magnepan stand tweak for carpeting
« Reply #2 on: 2 Jun 2011, 01:09 pm »
If you are handy and have a few tools it would be fairly easy to drill and tap 1/4-20 holes at each end of the stands and thread in some short spikes to couple the stands(speaker panels) to the floor beneath the carpet.
Full blown stiffening to the frame with Mye stands or equivalent with spikes would be better.
on my hardwood frame rebuild I spiked each corner of the frame and the end of the third leg that supports the top of the frame