DIY SET Amp for beginner?

cujobob

DIY SET Amp for beginner?
« on: 25 May 2011, 06:17 pm »
I don't know if this is the best board to ask, but I was wondering if there were any recommendations for step by step DIY SET amps?  I've been looking at the DIY route for a while since my audio budget shrunk a bit... Need something to get my feet wet.

-Dave

ebag4

Re: DIY SET Amp for beginner?
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2011, 06:27 pm »
I don't know if this is the best board to ask, but I was wondering if there were any recommendations for step by step DIY SET amps?  I've been looking at the DIY route for a while since my audio budget shrunk a bit... Need something to get my feet wet.

-Dave

Hey Dave,
I am in the process of building the Bottlehead Stereomour 2a3 amp.  The instructions are outstanding (please note I have not fired mine up yet, let's hope it works!).  The are pictoral and have notes with arrows pointing to each component as you progress.

Good Luck!

Ed

cujobob

« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2011, 06:29 pm »
That sounds like just what I need!  Thanks for the suggestion, I'll read up on that.

Pez

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2011, 06:51 pm »
Not only is the simple SE a great amp for beginners, it's also (potentially depending on parts selection) one of the best SET amps period.

Check out Wushuliu's build as well as mine.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=92341.0

sts9fan

« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2011, 07:00 pm »
I would agree that Bottlehead makes a fine product for a fair price.  The P2P wiring is nice and simple. 

TerryO

« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2011, 08:25 pm »
Bottlehead would be my first choice. Excellent instructions, large support group and they sound wonderful.
 :thumb:

Best Regards,
TerryO

ebag4

« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2011, 09:08 pm »
As a follow up to my previous recommendation of the Bottlehead Stereomour, my amp fired up the first time, excellent instructions.

Best,
Ed

JoshK

« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2011, 09:14 pm »
Tubelab SE and Bottlehead are both good designs and beginner's projects. 

wushuliu

« Reply #9 on: 25 May 2011, 09:36 pm »

-Dave

Goes without saying I luuurv my Tubelab SimpleSE, but there is no All-In-One package option like other offerings. Trade-off is you pay a lot more for that convenience. Also strictly-speaking the SimpleSE uses triode-strapped pentode/tetrode tubes, not proper DHTs like 2A3, 300B, etc. if that's important to you.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #10 on: 25 May 2011, 10:16 pm »
Hi CujoBob,There is a company called Decware(www.decware.com)the address for Googling it.It's called the Zen kit #1.It's under 300 bucks,and you build it on your favorite board.All the components are top notch.Whats really cool is they show all the directions in big color pictures you can look at on line.It's basicly a board you drill holes into using their template,then assembling a circuit board and wiring the transformer leads.If the Bottlehead fans think the directions are easy,these got to be even easier.Take a look,I have not heard the amp,there are posted reviews though,but when I crawl ahead of this economy I'm going to build one myself to see what SET sound is all about....take care,Mark Korda.

cujobob

« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2011, 03:11 am »
Thanks for all the replies, the Simple SE was my goal but I wasn't aware it was easy enough for beginners.  I may try another cheap kit just so I'm not quite so noob and solder something poorly or make some other first timer mistake.  The Bottlehead looks nice but the price (for a kit) puts me off somewhat.  I could pile on that much in a SimpleSE build but it would be difficult unless I went for fancy aesthetics.

Summer's around the corner so DIY is upon us!

sebrof

« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2011, 10:21 am »
I built the Decware ZKit 1 that Mark Korda mentioned. Excellent instructions and a fine sounding amp. You'll need to be creative and make the case as there is none provided. It is not a SET though - Single ended but not triodes. About $350 including tubes.
I built the Elekit TU-879, another single ended that uses 6L6s and not triodes. I recommend you get it from Victor at vkmusic.ca if you do get it. It's a good product, the finished product looks good as well. I like it because you can drop EL34s, KT88s, 6550s, and some other tubes in with no modifications, makes tube rolling a lot of fun. $600. Victor also sells 2A3 kits but I have no experience with them ($900 I believe).
I also built a 2A3 amp that wasn't really a kit, more of a scratch build with case and parts sourced from the same guy. See tubeaudiolab.com. Perhaps not the best for a first build. About $1,000 depending on options you choose.
Not saying that any of these are better or worse than Bottlehead, Simple SE, etc., just some other options for you to look at.

chrisby

« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2011, 05:49 pm »
I've heard / built products by several of the names mention, but I guess the "value for dollar"  very much depends on exactly what you expect a "kit" or DIY design to include.

For one, the Bottleheads include everything you need to finish a complete amp, although you're free to get as creative as Ed and others have done over the years with the enclosure/chassis.  In addition, the community support on Doc's site is phenomenal.   All of their amp designs to date have incorporated the parafeed configuration which allows for very good performance with inexpensive OPT, and cost effective parts throughout,  with the option for substantial returns on investment in fancy spendy upgrades later. 

Similarly, the earlier versions of Deckert's Zen C kit included chassis, but since he'd adopted the PCB format, you're on your own for enclosure - which might not be expensive, but can certainly take longer to fabricate than the kit does to assemble.

George's board/parts kits at Tubelab do not include iron or tubes or chassis, so while the actual assembly is no more difficult than either of the above, there's the research and ordering of those components, as well as the chassis fabrication to consider.  So, as sebrof suggests above,  not as easy a build for a first timer as the Bottleheads, but they do however offer a wider range of choices of tube types, and therefore power level than the BH or Decware.

Among my current working collection is a pair of BH Paramour 2A3 and Tubelab SimplePP EL84 (pentode).  When matched to a high sensitivity pair of speakers, the 2A3 (3.5W) are simply seductive, but the power (approx 15w) and grip of the Tubelab give an undeniable authority to a wider range of music / speaker combinations.   

ramante

« Reply #14 on: 26 May 2011, 06:57 pm »
I just built the Hawthorne Audio Spud amp.  Fun project, nice sounding, and inexpensive.  It is actually a SEP, using cheap 6CL6 tubes with an output of about 2.8 watts.  I believe the kit, chassis and upgrade kit cost me less than $400 and it is complete.  No need to buy your parts unless you want.

While the instructions are not as detailed as a Bottlehead project, it is still well documented and suitable for a beginner.

Check this out and email Jerry if you are interested:
http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3841

Pez

« Reply #15 on: 26 May 2011, 07:47 pm »
I guess it's important to know just how much experience with any sort of hands on modding or building you have had Dave? The Simple SE was my first full DIY project, but I did a ton of other mods and am generally pretty handy when it comes to this sort of thing. I think that the important things are A. you enjoy what you do. B. you learn something from what you do. C. You are happy with the end result.

For me I like to have something unique and therefore a kit is right out. I definately appreciate that it makes things more streamlined, but ultimately other than saving money DIY for me is about making something truly customized to ME and not just an unassembled mass produced kit. Either way you will love SET sound and that's what's also important.  8)
« Last Edit: 27 May 2011, 05:27 pm by Pez »