New Nirvana FullRanges Drives

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
New Nirvana FullRanges Drives
« on: 23 May 2011, 07:04 pm »
There is various new drivers at Nirvana site, a new 12inches Alnico and various Neodymium FR.
http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/nirvana.html
Worth a look.

> Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a cat or dog from the street. On the streets pets live only two years average.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Re: New Nirvana FullRanges Drives
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jun 2011, 03:19 am »
Hi FRM,
Interesting. I've yet to look at a Nirvana spec and not find something to scare me away. Qts on the 15" alnico is over .9, Xmax is 1mm. Seems like fr resp on all of them is questionable. It would be nice to see an off axis plot. I've never heard one, prob never will. I'd be more inclined to try a Markaudio 10"
neo

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jun 2011, 05:29 am »
There is a 10" Markaudio driver? Interesting.

Love my Audio Nirvana 12" but yes I've got supertweeter up top and subs down low. But sounds great in the 2.8 cabinet design from Common Sense, and I am giving some thought to trying the new Neo versions. Good refund policy, so what's to lose?

chrisby

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jun 2011, 06:40 am »
There is a 10" Markaudio driver? Interesting.

Nope,  not a 10"  but 10cm - currently the largest Alpair driver is 12cm  -  both of these sound larger than they look,  but this thread is about the AN drivers, so let's leave it at that

Love my Audio Nirvana 12" but yes I've got supertweeter up top and subs down low. But sounds great in the 2.8 cabinet design from Common Sense, and I am giving some thought to trying the new Neo versions. Good refund policy, so what's to lose?

:thumb:

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #4 on: 2 Jun 2011, 12:34 pm »
My mistake, the Mark is a 6".

Obviously that 15" Nirvana is designed for open baffle?

Seems that Commonsense doesn't believe in conventional bass reflex parameters. I agree with them to a certain extent.
neo

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #5 on: 3 Jun 2011, 02:30 am »

Nope,  not a 10"  but 10cm - currently the largest Alpair driver is 12cm  -  both of these sound larger than they look,

Alpair10 has an ~10cm cone diameter, it is a nominal 5 1/4" driver, Alpair12 has an ~12cm cone diameter, it is a nominal 6 1/2" driver.

dave