What a difference cleaning your records and stylus can make and what is best?

jimdgoulding

So, I put on an old album, Julie Tippetts' "Sunset Glow" on some label you've never heard of, Utopia, and it sounds blunted and dull.  Now, I know it can sound better than that, else I wouldn't have played it at all :bawl:.  So, I give it a spin on my Spin Clean with a few extra rotations, dry it as instructed after having shook the excess solution off, treat it with LAST (it's worth all I can give it, imo) and still it's rather messy even after having dry brushed my stylus.  So, I clean my stylus with some alcohol and on a battery powered Electro Cleaning Brush from D&K Imports and bingo!  There is NO distortion in the mix heard previously and the leading transient edges and separation of players is restored.

Now, this is probably a worse case scenario, tho I'm surprised by it, but every now and then you might have to do this, too.  Hope you do.  Btw, I freakin love this record.

DaveyW

Nice one Jim,

As long as I play pre-steamed vinyl I don't have a problem with the stylus.

I have bought some used carts though that definitely needed a careful clean before use.

Cheers
Dave

Wayner

I try to clean the stylus once a week with a stylus brush, sprayed with a 3 to 1 solution of reverse osmosis water and 99% isopropyl alcohol. Dry brushing is good for daily cleaning to remove "large chunks" from the tip, but there always seems to be some kind of grim that collects.

It's nice to have a removable head shell to make this process fast and easy. It's also a good idea to have a scope or jewelers loop to view the stylus, and as a reminder for newbies, never brush the stylus from front to rear as you could damage it, also stay away from coils on open MC design cartridges.

Wayner

orthobiz

A pancake of Silly Putty on a quarter. Place quarter on the platter, lower a couple of times with the tonearm lift. For those across the pond, it will not work with a tuppence or other foreign coins. :lol:

Fluids are controversial, some say never, worry about adhesives. Also capillary action on the cantilever and other typical Audiophile urban legends.

Paul

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
I'll tell ya what not to use. Those flippin' magic erasers. :duh: Unless of course your itching to buy a new one :oops:

Doc.

Photon46

This topic always generates more arguments than seminarians arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Every technique mentioned thus far in the thread has it's supporters and detractors. I guess we all have to learn from mistakes and our follies what techniques work for us as individuals. FWIW, I've used a small 1/4" square of Magic Eraser glued to the tip of a 1/4" x 3" section of popsicle stick for years and years without any mishap. But I'm nearsighted as all getout and have hands as steady as a neurosurgeon, so obviously, YMMV. After having examined styli under a microscope after playing one side of a wet vacuumed record, the visible residue  convinced me to clean my stylus after every side I play. Overkill by most standards I know, but for what retipping costs on an expensive cartrtidge, I'll ere on the side of extreme cleanliness.

orthobiz

FWIW, I've used a small 1/4" square of Magic Eraser glued to the tip of a 1/4" x 3" section of popsicle stick for years and years

Do you stroke the stylus or dab it or what?

Paul

Photon46

Do you stroke the stylus or dab it or what?

Paul

I generally just gently dab the square of eraser material up into the stylus so there's a gentle rubbing noise at normal playback level. The cantilever doesn't visibly deflect very much, there's probably only a couple of grams of force being applied against it. If your eyesight is good and your hands are steady, you can wipe the SIDES of the stylus in a back to front motion. You just don't want to snag the diamond and drag it through the eraser material. The main reason I do this instead of lowering it into a sticky cleaning material is that I understand some cartridge suspensions are not as well damped against forces in the direction the get pulled as they are lifted from the sticky cleaner. Do I have any idea which cartridges are vulnerable? No.  :dunno:

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
I generally just gently dab the square of eraser material up into the stylus so there's a gentle rubbing noise at normal playback level.

I cut a small square of Magic Eraser and lower the stylus tip into it with the cuing lever once or twice.  You can wiggle the stylus a bit if you like.  In any case, don't brush or scrape with the ME, the tiny threads that make up ME can catch the tip and presto, no diamond.

You can also use an equal of the OzNow ZeroDust (which I'm surprised no one mentioned by now) by using a dab of Cyber Clean keyboard cleaning goo.  Another cheapo imitation is the Sticky Hands toy, just dip the stylus into the Cyber Clean or Sticky Hands and presto, no gunk.  (As these are both magic tricks, you have to say "presto" at the end)

BaMorin

• AR turntable rebuilder/modifyer
I do what Joe Grado told me to do when I purchased my first Signature

I use my fingertip. The ridges will remove any lint or goop. I know exactly how much force I'm applying.

Swann36

• A widower finding solace in music
I thought i'd add to this old thread ....

Flux Ultrasonic Stylus cleaner

Flux arrived and used a good few times so far ...its doing its job ..i've no experience of other "ultra sonic or sonic" cleaners ....I'm using it prior to each session and in combination with VP Dustbuster which i use after every LP ..plus the records are cleaned with an anti static brush prior to playing each side ....my records have never sounded better :D

twitch54

when it comes to Lp playback, 'cleanliness is next to Godliness' .........

jjss49

i have wondered for a long time whether the ultrasonic cleaners really do a better job than the tried and true soapy liquid and vacuum methods deployed for years by many like nitty gritty, oki nokki, vpi etc

listening less and less to records now... i guess i will never mobilize to find out

as for stylus cleaning i use one of those clear gooey plastic blobs, gently dab the needle, done ... works well

toocool4

Swann36 I use the Flux stylus cleaner after every listening session, but after every side I use the DS Audio ST50.

For cleaning the record I use Loricraft PRC-3. Every record I buy new or second-hand get's cleaned and put into a brand new anti-static sleeve before it goes anywhere near my turntable.

Luxmancl38

I use the stylus brush that comes w/my Dynavector Karat 17DX cart. I also use on occasion the DS Audio ST-50 Stylus Cleaner. :thumb:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
i have wondered for a long time whether the ultrasonic cleaners really do a better job than ...
Yes they do.   Better than anything else. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Yes they do.   Better than anything else.

Agree I use a Kirmus. After initial clean only an anti-static brush is required before each play as well an anti-static gun.

charles

plastico

I recently got a Flux cleaner, and it brought my AT ART9 back to clear new condition! For the record I used the Magic Erasure, Onzow cleaner and AT fluid with the stubby brush.
I don't know why/ no- how I  refused to spend the money for this wonderful gadget that will probably last a lifetime! And yes, my records did sound better after the first cleaning with the Flux cleaner. Every vinyl head should have this in the tool kit!
Cheers, Doug

recr

recently got a small device that is a rotating container  on a pivot arm that can be used if your hand is unsteady-TRU-KLEEN--can load with Magic Erasure or Onzow cleaner or any something else