Too Many Subwoofers?

Jfondell

Too Many Subwoofers?
« on: 22 May 2011, 04:16 am »
Hi all, I currently have 2 12 inch servo subs in my 15x20 ft room. I am thinking I may get 2 more subs with 2 12inch speakers in each one. Can you have too many subs in a room? Also for you who have done 2 in each cabinet what amp did you use and how well is that configuration working for you? Basically what I am looking for is the deep bass produced when watching action movies. Let me know what you all think

Thanks

WGH

Re: Too Many Subwoofers?
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2011, 05:22 am »
You can't have too many subs, go for it.

The idea of multiple subs has been explored by Floyd E. Toole and Todd Welti at Harman International Industries.
Check out the sub articles listed here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=58304.0

Wayne

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2011, 05:39 am »
I had a pair of the servo subs in my room which is pretty close to yours in size.  It was good, and had very articulate, deep bass, but was missing in measure the "slam" I felt in other theaters when watching action movies (also an action movie kind of guy).  Going duals (currently 2 8-ohm drivers per cabinet with a H600 amp per side) got me "there" for me in my room in this regard.

If I were building a dedicated HT in my space, I MIGHT want to go for two more yet (depending on how the room is configured and what my speakers were), just to have LFE capable output at all six L/R channels in a 7-channel setup, but I was spoiled once with 8" powered subs giving me 30Hz output all around and it was very cool. . .

Short version: I think going duals (quad) would get you "there" for what you're looking for, and for power I'm running the 600W amps on mine.

Cheers!

Jfondell

« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2011, 06:22 am »
Thanks, thats exactly what I am going to do.

cody69

« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2011, 11:31 am »
The layout in my room was not well suited for a dual sub cabinet, so I built two separate enclosures for my servo units. I drive the servo subs from a single A370 amp, located in the cabinet with my A/V equipment. I am very satisfied with the bass from these units -- very tight and well defined. For a HT system, the 600W amp sounds like the way to go. Enjoy and let us know what you ultimately decide on.

srb

« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2011, 05:01 pm »
Basically what I am looking for is the deep bass produced when watching action movies.

If I were looking for movie sound effects with really low frequency components, I might consider adding one large subwoofer, perhaps with something like an 18" TC Sounds LMS series driver.

Steve
« Last Edit: 22 May 2011, 07:51 pm by srb »

Jim Griffin

« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2011, 07:22 pm »
Multiple subs in a room can yield significantly better room integration (mitigates the effects of room modes) versus a single large sub.  Research the work by JBL/Harmon referenced above and Dr. Earl Geddes.   Generally 3-4 subs are enough for most home HT situations.     

srb

« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2011, 07:40 pm »
Right.  He already has two.

Steve

Jfondell

« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2011, 07:16 am »
Your right, I have 2 at this point and I am thinking of adding 2 more subs with 2 12inch woofers in each cabinet for a total of 6 12inch subs. Now here is the current dilemma, I can get 2 single woofers for 2200 or 2 double woofers for 3800. I don 't know if the extra money and 2 extra woofers is needed? How much is reasonable for 2 cabinets built for double woofers?