SACD via HDMI (PCM) question

Jose R.

SACD via HDMI (PCM) question
« on: 21 May 2011, 09:43 pm »
Have any of you compared the quality of DSD to PCM conversion as output from HDMI with different players?
I have an OppoBDP-83 and use the HDMI output connected to my Tact TCS3 to listen to my large SACD collection.
On another forum I was told that the HDMI output of the newer Oppos 93 and 95 will be the same as that of the 83 and wonder whether other players perhaps do any better in the DSD to PCM conversion?
Any opinions would be welcome.
Regards

Jose

Phil A

Re: SACD via HDMI (PCM) question
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2011, 10:01 pm »

Jose R.

« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2011, 10:44 pm »
There's a whole thread here:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82217.0

Thanks Phil

I had been following the thread and read it again - apart from a few posts on the Sony S370, there don't seem to be any comparisons between the Oppo's and other players in terms of DSD to PCM conversion as output via HDMI.
Thus far I cannot find any definitive info on this issue and hence my opening this thread.

Regards

Jose

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2011, 11:32 pm »
Other than sample rate the HDMI output sonics are likely much more a function of the quality of the HDMI backend (i.e receiver, surround decoder, etc) than of the differences in HDMI streams.

jamesg11

« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2011, 01:51 am »
Check out this whole long thread for plenty of conversion investigation + a lot else:
http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php/32607-SACD-playback-into-Generic-2ch-DAC

Conclusion - dsd2pcm conversion is a definite degrading of sonics in oppo & sony - sony is prob worse  - how much is verifiable in listening terms is something else ...

Jose R.

« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2011, 06:43 am »
Thanks James, that is a great thread.
Essentailly the question now is which of the universal players (if any) do the best DSD to PCM conversion?
This will be difficult to answer.
I will try my son's old PS3 but will only be able to compare the sound as I do not have the ability to capture and analyse the PCM output.
One of the observations that I do agree with in the thread is that the Oppo BDP-83 PCM output does clip with certain SACD's as evidenced by the clip indicator on my Tact digital amps.

Regards
Jose

Jose R.

Re: SACD via HDMI (PCM) Oppo 83 vs PS3
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2011, 08:16 am »
I listened to the PCM output of the Oppo 83 vs the PS3 using an SACD from The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Puccini Opera Arias.
The Oppo shows digital output as 88.2 and PS3 as 176.4
The Oppo is definitely louder than the PS3 and does clip at times - I use a lower target curve in the Tact to prevent clipping.
Sound wise I definitely prefer the Oppo to the PS3 - fuller, richer sound with better imaging and soundstaging.  The PS3 can sound quite bright at times.  I did level match the two players when listening.
Will be interesting to see whether the newer Oppos do the DSD to PCM conversion any differently to the 83, perhaps the decoder chips are better etc.

Jose

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2011, 01:23 pm »
Thanks Phil

I had been following the thread and read it again - apart from a few posts on the Sony S370, there don't seem to be any comparisons between the Oppo's and other players in terms of DSD to PCM conversion as output via HDMI.
Thus far I cannot find any definitive info on this issue and hence my opening this thread.

Regards

Jose

I have the BDP-93 in the bedroom system and had the DV980H before that.  I have a Marantz SR6003 receiver.  I have not done extensive comparisons (as the system is not used for critical listening tons) but felt the newer BDP-93 was slightly better.  I did note in the long thread (many pages to go through) towards the end I do have a Sony BDP-BX37 (same as the 370) and felt what I got from the BDP-83 was a bit better as the BDP-83 apparently does not required a handshake with the HDMI audio de-embedder.