Classical guy new to single drivers has questions

hesson11

Classical guy new to single drivers has questions
« on: 21 May 2011, 04:04 am »
As the subject line implies, I listen almost exclusively to classical music. I know pretty much nada about single-driver speakers, but I recently came across the Stereophile article on Louis and Omega. One word caught my attention:

Timbre

I am a timbre/tone-color freak. Unless a speaker gets the feathery/woody/rosiny tone of the violin right, nothing else matters to me. The rich grittiness of the cello. The percussive resonance of the piano. Those are the things I want. I listen to a LOT of chamber music as well as a good deal of symphonic music.

Should I be interested in Omegas? If so, a few questions:

• How do you buy Omegas (I could find nothing on the Website)?
• Are they ready to go out the door, or do you need to wait for construction?
• Which models do you think would best fit my needs (practically speaking, narrower/smaller cabinets would be best)?
• Would Omegas work, at least initially, with an 80-watt Arcam integrated amp (I know that's overkill power-wise, but it IS capable of being turned down!)?
• For symphonic stuff, would it be okay to use my Rel T2 sub, at least as a temporary solution?

Sorry to be so inquisitive, but I'm really intrigued by the speakers, and Louis's evident earnestness and the loyalty of his customers. If anyone has any answers, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!
-Bob

tabrink

• lake life is good
Re: Classical guy new to single drivers has questions
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2011, 04:15 am »
Louis is an awesome gifted man at the very least. Awesomer is his norm. Priceless to be his friend.  :lol: :lol:
His Super 8 was the finest speaker I have ever heard. It just bellowed. But per your description perhaps the Sticks or his new Hoyt Bedford line up will chop your cherries. Please call him and know he is incredibly easy to talk to and it will not be time wasted.
Piano is to die for. I am knee deep/ chest deep  in family medical bills right now and totally speaker less but have owned his Super 8 and 5 and feel the value was extraordinary.
Best,
Tom

TONEPUB

« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2011, 04:42 am »
I think you'll really love em with the chamber music and small ensemble pieces, but it's tough with large scale music of any kind, classical or rock.  The single driver speakers just seem to lose it there.

No reason not to have two systems though!

ZLS

« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2011, 05:51 am »
    Omega Loudspeakers posses that rare combination of beautiful tone and timbre, and also have  excellent rhythm and timing. 
    You will really hear what the beneficial effects are of a lack of crossover.  There is a rightness of sound.
    The interplay between instruments is easily audible, and for me at least, greatly increasing the pleasure I have listening to music through the Omegas. 
    Regarding large scale orchestral works, the inherent limitations of most listening rooms will take effect long before the limitations of a single driver speaker will. 
    I listen to small scale classical works through my Omega Sticks, and I must tell you that the tone on Janos Starker's Cello is just breathtaking. 
    It does not hurt that Omega Speakers are beautiful to look at also. 
    Regarding your Amp, I have used 250 Watt Virtue Mono Blocks on my Sticks, and they sound wonderful. 
    Louis Chochos is one of the "Good Guys" of Audio; give him a call, you will not be disappointed.   

hesson11

« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2011, 11:54 am »
Thank you so much for your replies, everyone. I appreciate them, and they're quite helpful.

I also wonder if anyone could address two of my particular questions (yes, I'll try to call Louis, but it's the weekend as I post):

• How do you buy Omegas (I could find nothing about it on the Website)?
• Are they ready to go out the door, or do you have to wait for construction?

Thanks again.
-Bob

nature boy

« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2011, 12:56 pm »
Bob,

I suggest sending Louis a PM or just giving him a call @ (203) 847-2800 to get answers to your questions.  When I purchased a used pair of Super 8's from a fellow AC'er I called him.  He picked up the phone and spent a good 30 minutes answering several of my questions about pairing with my set up, room, & musical tastes - great guy and I LOVE the speakers.

NB   

Jolly

« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2011, 02:52 am »
   I own the Omega Sticks and they sound surprisingly good with classical music and they only have 4.5" drivers. It is amazing how much music comes out of those small drivers! I heard the Hoyt-Bedford Type 1's with their 8" drivers at the Omega factory and they sound even better and I imagine  combined with the Hoyt-Bedford 3's which are subwoofers, they would sound better yet with classical music. Speak with Louis as he is a very decent, honest and talented fellow and he will definitely steer you in the right direction.

Hank Murrow

« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2011, 07:31 pm »
I suggest that you look into the Omega Super 5's, which offer detail, timbre, and the sort of microdynamics that you are looking for, and they will marry with your subs until you decide you want a sub that's quicker and more tactile. Louis has those as well..... but try either the Super 5's or the Hoyt Bedford One's. However, with speakers this sensitive, it is the first watt that you'll hear, and only a single-ended amp will reveal their true purity. The good news is that you can buy or build one for less than a grand that you'll keep for life. Here are my fresh Super 5's playing in a large ballroom from a 5 watt single ended Amp One at VSAC 2008 in Vancouver WA. I now drive them with a 3.5 watt custom SE 2A3 amp. I listen to acoustic jazz, classical chamber, and keyboard music, and love how accurate the Super 5's are. They provided the first time I heard the true tone of a viola d'amour outside of live performance.

Cheers, Hank

hesson11

« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2011, 10:55 pm »
Just another note of thanks for everyone's contributions. I appreciate it.
-Bob

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 21 Jun 2011, 08:22 pm »
I think you'll really love em with the chamber music and small ensemble pieces, but it's tough with large scale music of any kind, classical or rock.  The single driver speakers just seem to lose it there.

No reason not to have two systems though!

I kinda agree... they are not ideal for large scale music, however buying a system that CAN do justice to a large symphony is going to cost A LOT of money. So, if you have a ton of cash for a system you might do better, but for a non-megabucks system I think Omegas and a good tube amp are a really good compromise, and excel in the areas of tonality, detail, rhythm and imaging.

One issue to be aware of, is that other aspects of the system (besides speakers) have a large affect on tonality, my system (long ago) was using a digital amp and anti-cables speaker cables. It got some string instruments wrong, especially Sitar for some reason... turned out to be the speaker cable/amp synergy just didn't work and new speaker cables solved the issue.

Bayreuth

« Reply #10 on: 8 Oct 2011, 03:14 pm »
I have a similar question to the original post in this thread.  Which of the Omega speakers is best suited for opera and orchestral music at low to moderate listening volumes?  Highest priority would be for best timbre, neutrality, pinpoint imaging, accurate vocal reproduction, but also the capability to play complex orchestral passages at moderate volume without distortion.  I'm especially interested in the Omega Super 6 Alnico speakers, perhaps paired with DeepHemp subwoofer(s).  Thanks for your reply.

ZLS

« Reply #11 on: 9 Oct 2011, 11:02 am »
    Based on personal experience, the most surprising revelation I got from the Hoyt-Bedford Type 1 Speakers was their ability to play at low volumes and still be able to convey the full emotion of the music. 
    Combining them with a pair of Deep Hemp Subwoofers would allow you to enjoy the full gamut of classical music. 
    And as for opera, to hear the human voice reproduced on an Omega/Hoyt-Bedford Speaker, sublime.   

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #12 on: 25 Oct 2011, 02:49 am »
 :D
I listen to a broad array of music and a lot of Classical and orchestral and the Hoyt Bedford is one of the most diverse single drivers I have heard.
Magical is not too strong word for them.... [paired} with Virtue Audio Tube buffered gear is a match made in audio heaven.
I am listening to REM Automatic for the People right now neairfield. 
magical.
Best,
Tom