VR-33 Questions

Ultralight

VR-33 Questions
« on: 20 May 2011, 05:45 pm »
Just read about the VR-33s.  A few questions:

1. What's the minimum ideal listening distance?   Also wondering if anyone tried this nearfield...

2. Based on a review I read, I understand that these have huge sound staging but not necessarily pinpoint imaging.   I'm assuming normal listening distance.  The MTM (D'Appolito) configuration suggest good imaging but the mids are a bit large and I'm not sure if the fit the idealized MTM config.  Pinpoint imaging is important for me along with a huge soundstage.  Its hard to have both I suppose. 

3. Is the bass balance adjustable?  I wish there were information on these on their website - seem unusual for a manufacturer not to have info on the website in this day and age or did I miss it?   I'm wondering if the bass will overpower a small 11x13 room. 

4. Finally, have anyone compared these to the much vaunted Goldenear Tritons which are also supposed to be price category leaders?  The powered built in sub of the Tritons does reduce the necessity for a high powered tube amp.

Thanks,
UL

BigSwede

Re: VR-33 Questions
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2011, 03:39 am »
3. Is the bass balance adjustable?  I wish there were information on these on their website - seem unusual for a manufacturer not to have info on the website in this day and age or did I miss it?   I'm wondering if the bass will overpower a small 11x13 room. 
Yes, in two ways: distance from the wall, and stuffing the port if needed.

I suggest calling VSA, they (and Albert himself) are very willing to discuss questions such as these...

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
Re: VR-33 Questions
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2011, 06:44 am »
1. We use the VR-33 in a near field listening situation in a small test room at our factory.  The closer you get to the speakers, the more focused the image will appear.  The M-T-M array grows in size as you move back, and in our large room that is 30 feet deep, the sound stage is the size of an orchestra but has large sized images, which is dictated by the laws of physics.
2. The bass has more adjustment range than any other passive speaker that we know about.  There is information in the reviews about moving the speakers back to the wall if you need more bass, and if you want less bass, you move the speakers away from the back wall.  You can also add Dacron (pillow stuffing) into the rear port to add resistance to the transmission line output, which gives you extremely fine control over the bass pitch, tone quality, and transient response speed.  It is all in the Owners Manual.

Thanks for your interest in the VR-33!