better volume control?

vpolineni

better volume control?
« on: 4 Apr 2004, 07:11 pm »
Everyone knows that the volume control included with windows sucks... is there anything better that we can use?  High end cd players come with volume control... does anyone know of an audiophile-quality volume control to use with a pc?

EchiDna

better volume control?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2004, 11:36 pm »
are you looking for software? or are you looking for a physical preamp of some kind?

vpolineni

better volume control?
« Reply #2 on: 5 Apr 2004, 12:58 am »
software so I can control the volume directly from my computer...

EchiDna

better volume control?
« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2004, 06:28 am »
audiophile software volume control...
hmm...

have tried the ASIO output in Foobar?
sounds much better to me as it bypasses the windows "K-mixer" which up-samples redbook...

also, what is your soundcard? it is believed that all creative cards, even their latest audigy 2, upsample from redbook....

vpolineni

better volume control?
« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2004, 12:11 pm »
my soundcard is a rme 9632... i believe i'm using asio in foobar... any way to check?

EchiDna

better volume control?
« Reply #5 on: 6 Apr 2004, 06:01 am »
in foobar check the output mode, typically it is on wave output. If you have the asio plugin installed, you should be able to select it and then you will be in "ASIO output" mode after a restart.

good luck!

vpolineni

better volume control?
« Reply #6 on: 6 Apr 2004, 11:46 am »
I don't have the asio plugin and am using waveout.. where can I download the asio plugin?

vpolineni

better volume control?
« Reply #7 on: 6 Apr 2004, 12:04 pm »
I downloaded the asio plugin and selected it under foobar but I get this message when trying to play a song:
'ERROR (foo_output_asio(exe)) : foo_output_asio(exe).exe cannot be started."
any suggestions???

EchiDna

better volume control?
« Reply #8 on: 6 Apr 2004, 11:36 pm »
unfortunately, I have no idea why that didn't work, perhaps the native ASIO drivers for your card were less than impressed with your little plugin?   :?