Is the GR research N1X or N2x the right speaker for me?

inthemine

I'm very much intrigued by these two offerings (N1X, N2x), and like the idea of do-it-yourself kit as a way of maximizing my audio dollar.  In my quest for my next set of speakers (I currently have a set of Paradigm atoms) I have auditioned Paradigm studio 10s, B&W C1s, and the ERA D5s.

My physical requirements are that the speakers must be bookshelf and no taller than 14 inches.  My budget is capped at approximate $1000. The height restriction imposed by the wife, for room aesthetics.

Of those speakers audition so far the ERA D5's are the clear winner to my ears.  Not well versed in the vernacular of the audiophile, is rather hard to describe what I like the speakers.  But I'll give it a shot; I love the soundstage and the precise imaging these little speakers possess.  Music sounded just so convincing.  The speakers do not draw attention to themselves and seem to get out of the way of the music.  They also have good solid base, which I like because I still play a lot of rock 'n roll.

So is anyone familiar with the ERA D5’s end to give me any guidance as to whether or not the N1X or the N2x might give me comparable or even superior performance and what would we had with the ERA's?

Thank you guys any assistance would really be appreciated.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: Is the GR research N1X or N2x the right speaker for me?
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2011, 03:59 am »
Not familiar with the ERA's but the N1X will crush those Paradigm Atoms. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2011, 05:18 am »
So is anyone familiar with the ERA D5’s end to give me any guidance as to whether or not the N1X or the N2x might give me comparable or even superior performance and what would we had with the ERA's?

I am pretty familiar with that line. The Signal Path Corp. hired me to design the crossovers for the D10 and D14 models.  :green:

I also designed an upgraded crossover for the D4 and D5 models, but it was never used. They decided to stick with what they had in stock for those models and not bring in any new production units.

The D5's are nice little speakers but not in the same performance league as the N1X and N2X.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2011, 05:16 pm by Danny »

Ron

« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2011, 09:55 am »
 I have built quite a few pairs of N2X for other people and must say their sound quality and performance is excellent. The N1X and N2X sound very similar except the N1X being a rear vented type speaker has slightly better bass response. Since the  N2X is a sealed type speaker it can be placed close to the rear wall were as the N1X needs to be at least 18"-24" away. Both speakers have a very natural, realistic sound quality with excellent imaging and depth.  Not familar with the ERA line of speakers.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2011, 11:09 am by Ron »

brother love

« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2011, 11:53 am »
I used to own Paradigm Atoms & Titans as part of a 5.1 home theater/ audio system.  Darn good speakers for the money. I always felt they were fairly neutral sounding, but not all that exciting if you know what I mean.

I have owned N2x's w/ Sonicap upgrades & No-rez damping material in cabinet & they are fabulous sounding speakers.  Those B & G planar tweeters are sweet! VERY musical sounding speakers. The sealed version gets down around 65 Hz & is 85 dB efficient as I recall, so a sub is needed.

I have since upgraded to N3 transmission lines (towers) w/ Sonicap ugrades incl. platinum bypasses & No-rez lined cabinets.  The efficiency gets kicked up to 90 dB & they dig down to 40 Hz, so you can get by w/ no sub (I sold my servo sub in fact) & smaller amperage needs (or greater dynamic head room if same amp used). And stands are already built-in!

My recommend to you within your budget is the tricked out N3 TL's.   The footprint is actually a bit smaller than the N2X's w/ stands. If speakers need to be in a book shelf unit or on a stand, then all of this is less important as you have less than ideal conditions. Check out the N3 picture thread & show to your wife. Maybe she will like the tower look better than bookshelf speakers.

You can demo the N1x's or N2x's from Danny as he has both out in the wild.

grimace

« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2011, 12:36 pm »
I used to own Paradigm Atoms & Titans as part of a 5.1 home theater/ audio system.  Darn good speakers for the money. I always felt they were fairly neutral sounding, but not all that exciting if you know what I mean.

I have owned N2x's w/ Sonicap upgrades & No-rez damping material in cabinet & they are fabulous sounding speakers.  Those B & G planar tweeters are sweet! VERY musical sounding speakers. The sealed version gets down around 65 Hz & is 85 dB efficient as I recall, so a sub is needed.

I have since upgraded to N3 transmission lines (towers) w/ Sonicap ugrades incl. platinum bypasses & No-rez lined cabinets.  The efficiency gets kicked up to 90 dB & they dig down to 40 Hz, so you can get by w/ no sub (I sold my servo sub in fact) & smaller amperage needs (or greater dynamic head room if same amp used). And stands are already built-in!

My recommend to you within your budget is the tricked out N3 TL's.   The footprint is actually a bit smaller than the N2X's w/ stands. If speakers need to be in a book shelf unit or on a stand, then all of this is less important as you have less than ideal conditions. Check out the N3 picture thread & show to your wife. Maybe she will like the tower look better than bookshelf speakers.

You can demo the N1x's or N2x's from Danny as he has both out in the wild.

You just inspired me to get going on my N3TLs...

Thanks!

Danny, will call later to order the kit.

HT cOz

« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2011, 03:24 pm »
I really like my N3tls. I get amazed at the bass output. Its not only output but the bass has texture. You can her nuances down low that I didn't know existed. It's actually kinda weird. My room is fairly well treated so that is also a factor but its a moot point if the speaker is not capable. Which the N3TL is!

However back to the original poster. These are great speakers and don't overlook the N1 if you have a good sub.

NeilT

« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2011, 03:44 pm »
I compared the demo N2X's with my $2400.00 a pair, Paradigm Signature S4's. It was night and day. I have sold the S4's and built Danny's OB7's, No looking back for me. Danny's stuff is the real deal and bang for the buck is off the charts.

Good Luck and post some picks.

Neil

wagnju

« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2011, 02:36 pm »
You got a PM

kingdeezie

« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2011, 03:59 pm »
I'm very much intrigued by these two offerings (N1X, N2x), and like the idea of do-it-yourself kit as a way of maximizing my audio dollar.  In my quest for my next set of speakers (I currently have a set of Paradigm atoms) I have auditioned Paradigm studio 10s, B&W C1s, and the ERA D5s.

My physical requirements are that the speakers must be bookshelf and no taller than 14 inches.  My budget is capped at approximate $1000. The height restriction imposed by the wife, for room aesthetics.

Of those speakers audition so far the ERA D5's are the clear winner to my ears.  Not well versed in the vernacular of the audiophile, is rather hard to describe what I like the speakers.  But I'll give it a shot; I love the soundstage and the precise imaging these little speakers possess.  Music sounded just so convincing.  The speakers do not draw attention to themselves and seem to get out of the way of the music.  They also have good solid base, which I like because I still play a lot of rock 'n roll.

Thank you guys any assistance would really be appreciated.

The greatest thing about GR Research is that the sky is seemingly the limit, and the bar with each design can be raised (from the base kit) depending on how far the person building the kits out are willing to go.

For instance, I had the crossovers that came with my AV123 LSs, replaced with external crossovers that used much better parts; Clarity Caps, Mills Resistors, Mundorf Inductors, etc, etc; the difference was huge compared to the Erse stuff that was in the stock AV123 LSs.

I am sure that if I opened up the speakers and changed out the internal speaker wiring, I would also note a nice difference; I just haven't had the heart to pay someone to do it and be without them for the lead time.

I am sure whatever design you get from GR will meet your expectation as long as you are wiling to put forth the effort.

inthemine

« Reply #10 on: 21 May 2011, 04:38 pm »
wagnju,

My status of a Newbie prevents me from responding. I will when I am able.

inthemine

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 21 May 2011, 05:10 pm »
wagnju,

My status of a Newbie prevents me from responding. I will when I am able.

inthemine

At first I have to click approve on your responses or on your posts. I think after 3 posts or 5 posts or something then it will no longer need approval.

This keeps spam off the site.

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 23 May 2011, 07:03 pm »
Oh yeah, inthemine, welcome to AC.  :D

wagnju

« Reply #13 on: 23 May 2011, 08:27 pm »
Hi Inthemine
As said , I can highly recommend the N2X as they replaced a pair of Kef XQ10 and Quad 12L monitors in my setup. I'm in the process of finishing my GR Research V2  :oops: , finally ,  that's why I'm thinking of maybe selling the N2X.
Good luck on your "quest"
Juergen

inthemine

« Reply #14 on: 27 May 2011, 12:19 am »
Thank you everyone for your words of advice and encouragement.  What a wonderful forum, what a wonderful company (GR research) that a schlock like me receives a greeting from the head of the company (thanks Danny).

Well I've decided, the N2Xs will be my future speakers.  My current plan of action is to find a local woodworking hobbyist to do the necessary cutting, essentially producing a flat pack. Then ordering Danny's kit once I have the enclosures are be ready to receive the components.
Since this will be my first build, can anybody direct me to a thread or resource it really describes, hopefully with lots of pictures, the actual assembly of a pair of N2Xs.  I've been doing my own research and have been taking notes when I've come across a nugget of what I think would be useful knowledge.  But is there anywhere it really describes the process in its entirety.  I wonder if the purchase kit comes with any assembly instructions or is the PDF of the enclosures dimensions is all the guidance that is needed.

One quick question specifically about the build process is, at what stage of the assembly/gluing are the braces installed?  And is it typical to assemble the two sides, top, bottom and rear, mount the crossover, and then finally install the front baffle?

Again thank you everyone, I think this is going to be fun.

inthemine

fcraven

• Don't mess with this baritone
« Reply #15 on: 30 May 2011, 11:20 pm »
Well I've decided, the N2Xs will be my future speakers.  ...
Since this will be my first build, can anybody direct me to a thread or resource it really describes, hopefully with lots of pictures, the actual assembly of a pair of N2Xs. ... But is there anywhere it really describes the process in its entirety.  I wonder if the purchase kit comes with any assembly instructions or is the PDF of the enclosures dimensions is all the guidance that is needed.

You will find copious amounts of help right here. Many of us have progress pictures in the forum, complete with lots of questions and answers.

My gallery is here http://gallery.me.com/operadad#100015 and my construction thread is here http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=58202.msg515470#msg515470

You will find ALL sorts of help. My greatest struggle was with the crossover architecture (i.e. where to put stuff). There's lots of help with veneer too (I used paint). And no one is too opinionated or passionate :lol: about what they do.

Oh, and I think you should paint your speakers red. And yes, the seams on the MDF will eventually show up unless you are a magician (I am), or you use a veneer. OH, OH, one more thing, yes, they do need a little time to burn in, really.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2011, 10:00 pm by fcraven »

persisting1

« Reply #16 on: 31 May 2011, 09:47 pm »
fcraven,

I never get tired of looking at your build pics.  Damn impressive  :green:

fcraven

• Don't mess with this baritone
« Reply #17 on: 31 May 2011, 09:55 pm »
I never get tired of looking at your build pics.  Damn impressive  :green:

Thanks. If you're going to build speakers for yourself you might as well build them well, and make them unique. Having a convinient iPhone to take photos helps too. AND my brain switched to italiano. The word is "veneer" not "venire". (I corrected it) My bad. :duh: