Still possible to upgrade VR4jr?

The Dude

Still possible to upgrade VR4jr?
« on: 18 May 2011, 11:37 pm »
Is it still possible to upgrade the VR4jr speakers to MkIII?  And is it still the same price ($2,500.00)?

scp2

Re: Still possible to upgrade VR4jr?
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2011, 01:51 am »
Oh yeh!!! Mine was upgraded last week and is in route to me right now. I should have it Friday and can't wait. Price was $2500 plus shipping.  It's a pain packing and shipping and waiting...but I think it will be worth it. Be warned it is about a four week process...a week way for shipping...and two weeks at the factory.

lenkevy

« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2011, 12:08 pm »
I have considered upgrading from VR2s to the VR33.  It seems like the VR33 would run about as much as buying a used set of VR4jr and paying for the upgrade.  However, I don't know how the two compare.  Any thoughts since you are looking at upgrading?  Did you consider the VR33s and decide to pass?

scp2

« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2011, 12:36 pm »
Here's my take and I have not heard both but read as much as I could. The 33's may have an edge in the  low frequencys(larger woofer)...but jr may have an edge in the upper range (Albert's signature design featuring the rear firing ambience tweeter). And either may win out depending on the room they are in.

The two factors that made me decide to upgrade my jr's rather than get the 33's are 1) I absolutely love the looks and size of my jr's in the african hazelwood and don't care for the look of the 33's. This is subjective and someone else may feel the opposite. 2) I know how the jr's handle the somewhat challenging acoustics in my room and only look for it to get better.

Of course if you want an expert's opinion...call Albert himself. He is very accessible and loves to talk about his products.

scp2

« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2011, 05:17 pm »
Here's a good one.

They delivered my speakers today to my work and they came on a pallet so I had to have one of the guys unload it off the truck with a forklift. He starts quizing me about V/S speakers...I tell him blah..blah..blah...his response so these are really good speakers?...even better than Bose?  :duh:

I will report back after I get them set up.

The Dude

« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2011, 02:16 am »
Did you upgrade from the original jr or from the MkII?  I'd really be interested in hearing your impressions.

JackD201

« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2011, 08:31 am »
I believe it doesn't matter if one is coming from the Mk.1 or Mk.2. All drivers and crossovers parts are replaced anyway. Maybe even the binding posts but I can't be sure. IIRC the cabinets of the Mk1 and Mk2 were identical.

I had a pair of Jrs I had bought back. I sent the payment for the upgrade already but due to some twists and turns someone ended up buying them from me. The payment went towards Masterbuilt ICs instead.

scp2

« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2011, 09:25 pm »
Ok speaks are up and running now for 4 days. I unboxed and reloaded my speakers with about 40 lbs of lead shot.

First impression(short quickie session)...I was kind of dissappointed....highs and mids were improved but bass seemed to be missing something. I expected to be blown away. Later that night I sat down with a glass of wine and proceded thru my listening reference cd's. After about 4 hours and  almost a full bottle of wine..I was starting to like what I heard. I couldn't wait til the next night to see if it was the wine or the speakers starting to settle in.

It was the speakers!!!! Now with a couple of more days break in...I am really beginning to be impressed. Mind you this is with only about 10 hours of break in and at moderate volume levels.( I think they need 100 hours of loud lsitening) I would love to leave for a weekend and let my rig blast for 3 days straight...but that won't happen for a month or so.

The biggest thing I notice is the listening position isn't as critical. Before you had to be in the sweet spot to get maximum enjoyment...now you can move right or left and still enjoy...not quite as good as center..but much better than before. The bass just keeps improving. Highs and mids as well...but like  said mids and highs  were better from the beginning. 

At this point I am happy with my investment and think when all is broken in..I will be VERY happy. I will keep you posted.

JackD201

« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2011, 09:28 pm »
Hi scp,

If you don't mind, would you be so kind as to post some pics of the new drivers?  :D

Jack

scp2

« Reply #9 on: 25 May 2011, 09:37 pm »
Will do....might be tomorrow before I can get them though.

They are  solid black...not the aluma like in the VR4 SR MkIII.

JackD201

« Reply #10 on: 25 May 2011, 09:39 pm »
Thanks!!!!!!!

scp2

« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2011, 04:23 pm »
Pics posted in my gallery.

I got to enjoy a little more last night. First started with Willie Nelson..Teatra... his raspy voice is a nice test of equipment...sound was spot on...then popped in Eric Clapton..Reptile...this is one I had an overwhelming WOW. About the third track..I think it's called "Broken"...he has some background singers at one point...the sound filled in... way outside my speakers...I have never noticed that before...always liked the soundstage of my V/S before...but never have I heard the stage as wide and deep as it is now. My listening postion is on a couch about 11-12 ft from speakers. I moved from center and left and right....I could be happy listening in any postion. Before I had to be in the middle. It always made if difficult when demoing my system to non audiophiles. They would never sit in the middle guess they felt weird sitting in the middle of a couch...can't wait to have friends over to impress them.  :thumb:

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2011, 05:03 pm »
I have the VR5 Anniversaries driven by McIntosh electronics and on certain recordings you'd swear there are surround speakers somewhere in the room.  That's one of my favorite parlor tricks when I've got someone sitting in the sweet spot.

JackD201

« Reply #13 on: 29 May 2011, 08:59 am »
This new generation of VRs seem to have added that to their arsenal. I noticed the same thing between SR Mk2s and Mk.3s, VR-5 SEs and Anniversaries. Now we're getting word that the Jr2 and Jr3 are doing it too.

I wonder if the work on the UNIs had some indirect influence as all UNIs I've had on hand have had the ability right out of the starting gate.

Thanks for the pics Scp, I see a strong family resemblance to the VR-35 Ex drivers.