BDA-1 + Blu Ray concerts = Fabulous!

Heckler75

BDA-1 + Blu Ray concerts = Fabulous!
« on: 16 May 2011, 11:14 pm »
I'm  been, using  mostly, my BDA-1  with my CD palyer (cd player as drive)   with excellent results.  :green:       

so i decide, to try it, with my pioneer bdp-05 blu ray player. my setup BP26/BDA1/4BSST2/802DI

ran  hdmi cable-straight to TV, and then set blu ray player- audio  to (digital out)

sit back and enjoy. :thumb:          anyone else try this wonderful combo. :singing:

a few, of my favorite  Blu ray concerts!  (these are must see IMHO)
    Awesome picture quality  :eyebrows:     

Phil A

Re: BDA-1 + Blu Ray concerts = Fabulous!
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2011, 11:19 pm »
Would be interesting to try an HDMI audio de-embedder.  I might drag out out my Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds and give it a try with the BDA-1

Mag

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2011, 11:28 pm »
No, I don't have a Blu-Ray player. But I noticed on some dvd the HDMI lights up. I had the HDMI going straight to the TV from my player but for some reason it will only work by running it through the receiver and from the receiver to TV.

Anyway with some dvds without HDMI the input I believe is only 16 bit. Whereas with HDMI the input is 24 bit. So it's possible you're not getting the full resolution of Blu-ray audio.

Perhaps someone will correct me on this if I am wrong. :?

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2011, 11:47 pm »
DVDs are generally not 24 bit.  There are some exceptions.  I was listening to Neil Young Live at Massey Hall (from 1971) and it has video and the 24/96 audio can be had straight from the coax digital out.  With an HDMI audio de-embedder (like the under $44 Monoprice Product ID 5557) the HDMI goes into the switch/de-embedder and it can strip hi-rez 2-channel so you can watch the Blu-Ray and get the hi-rez audio from the BDA-1 (of course there may be issues with some players - Oppo is good though)

Mag

« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2011, 12:11 am »
What a coincidence, I played Neil Young at Massey Hall 1971 just last week! 8)

Heckler75

« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2011, 12:12 am »
 works  nice  w/ the BDA-1

Also, you can run, your hmdi straight to TV, and set the  Blu Ray Player audio  to (analog out  L/R)
right to your pre-amp.

1.HDMI  cable to TV
2.digital out (BR player) to BDA1

OR

Analog out R/L  to pre-amp

either way...

Watch-Blu Ray video w/ great audio  :drums:           just a thought  :bounce:

adol290

« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2011, 12:37 am »

If you output from the spdif on a blu-ray player(oppo 95 for example) the following will happen:
I got this from the oppo blu-ray thread at the other forum.

SACD, DVD-Audio, and the high bit rate tracks on Blu-ray discs can not be output on them because the S/PDIF connections don't support copy protection.

For SACD and DVD-A you get silence.

For Blu-ray, you get the lossy compatibility tracks (DD or DTS) which are always on Blu-ray discs for just such purpose. i.e lower audio rates.

Now if you use phils method with the Monoprice Product ID 5557
 I question whether the output on optical or spdif will be the higher rates. Does anyone know for certain?

bjski

« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2011, 12:44 am »
Would be interesting to try an HDMI audio de-embedder.  I might drag out out my Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds and give it a try with the BDA-1

I think Dave Mathews has some of the best recorded live DVD's and CD's out there.  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2011, 01:13 am »
If you output from the spdif on a blu-ray player(oppo 95 for example) the following will happen:

SACD, DVD-Audio, and the high bit rate tracks on Blu-ray discs can not be output on them because the S/PDIF connections don't support copy protection.

For Blu-ray, you get the lossy compatibility tracks (DD or DTS) which are always on Blu-ray discs for just such purpose. i.e lower audio rates.

I question whether the output on optical or spdif will be the higher rates. Does anyone know for certain?

There's a whole thread in the hi-rez music circle.  I've already tested 192kHz via DVD-A and it passes through and registers on the BDA-1

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2011, 01:15 am »
I think Dave Mathews has some of the best recorded live DVD's and CD's out there.  :thumb:

I'm not a huge movie/concert fan and the Blu-Ray from Radio City Music Hall blew me away in both 2-channel and multi-channel

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2011, 01:18 am »
What a coincidence, I played Neil Young at Massey Hall 1971 just last week! 8)

That's funny.  I'm auditioning a digital cable and decided that I'd try 24/96kHz in addition to CD.  I have to say he is one artist who cares how his stuff sounds.  I don't have any of the (Neil Young) Blu-Rays of his catalog with have a couple of DVD-As and also the 24/96 audio only DVD-V of his greatest hits.

Heckler75

« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2011, 01:50 am »

even  DD or DTS  sound quality (thru coax/optical)  running  thru  the BDA-1    sounds very good.

it might not be DTS HD ,  but the BDA-1,  will    give  the sound  a very nice boost  (tried w/ both concerts above)

works very nice  with my BDA-1/BP26/4BSST2 and b&w 802Di...

keep in mind  guys, this is just a added bonus, with the BDA-1. :rock:     

BDA-1  is definitely worth its weight in gold.  :notworthy:       IMHO

Mag

« Reply #12 on: 17 May 2011, 02:12 am »
We know the BDA-1 is an outstanding product!  :thumb:

The Neil Young concert that were talking about sounds exceptional compared to other stuff, and I suspect it's because it's recorded in 24 bit audio.

What we're wondering is if you're hearing 24 bit or 16 bit audio source without an HDMI cable, even though the BDA-1 upscales to 24 bit and its a Blu-ray player. 8)

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 17 May 2011, 02:22 am »
We know the BDA-1 is an outstanding product!  :thumb:

The Neil Young concert that were talking about sounds exceptional compared to other stuff, and I suspect it's because it's recorded in 24 bit audio.

What we're wondering is if you're hearing 24 bit or 16 bit audio source without an HDMI cable, even though the BDA-1 upscales to 24 bit and its a Blu-ray player. 8)

The album is a DVD-V and it has no restrictions on the coax out with any DVD player that can pass 96kHz (some older ones only did 48kHz).  I have a bunch of Classic Records DADs (audio only DVDs) which are DVD-V with no video and you can play those on a DVD player too.  Sony/Philips had expiring royalties on CDs and so they invented SACD and Warner pushed DVD-A both of which required special players.  They could have just done the same stuff done like Massey Hall and had good sound.  It was concern over copy protection as well (HDMI is a one-way digital connection).  I'm sure the studios would not be happy about the HDMI audio de-embedder which is cheap and allows hi-rez audio over the coad digitial output

adol290

« Reply #14 on: 17 May 2011, 02:55 am »
There's a whole thread in the hi-rez music circle.  I've already tested 192kHz via DVD-A and it passes through and registers on the BDA-1

That is great. I didn't know that a HDMI audio de-embedder like this existed.

Mag

« Reply #15 on: 17 May 2011, 03:22 am »
Dug out Massey Hall, and in audio set up it says it was recorded in 24 bit 96khz. Which shows up 96khz on the BDA-1 with dvd player set to pcm 24bit 96khz. 8)