Any VR-33s on or near Long Island, NY?

Gopher

Any VR-33s on or near Long Island, NY?
« on: 16 May 2011, 09:00 pm »
I've been forced to reconfigure my den to accommodate my newly mobile infant son and its resulted in the speakers I've owned and love (Zu Soul Superflys) not playing well with my room.

I may need to move to something that can be placed closer to the front wall and I would love to give the VR-33s a listen based on the buzz they've received.

If anyone semi-local wouldn't mind having me over for a couple hours one day that would be appreciated.

I realize VSA offers a 90 day money back audition period, but I don't have the cash to float it unless I sold my current speakers while deciding and I imagine return shipping would cost hundreds..

JackD201

Re: Any VR-33s on or near Long Island, NY?
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2011, 09:34 pm »
Congratulations on the bouncing baby boy Gopher  :D

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2011, 11:07 pm »
Wow Fred, you have been such a Soul Superfly cheerleader. I am a bit shocked. But you have also tried so many amps that I am not entirely surprised that different speakers might enter the picture at some point. The SSs proving a bit picky in terms of placement?

VR-33s are certainly getting great reviews. As always, looking forward to your impressions moving forward.

And I blame that evening at your place for the Soul Superflys I am now trying out in my rig...

JackD201

« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2011, 11:34 pm »
Real life does that to our hobby. I went with Maggies for two years just because there was nothing for my then tiny kids to poke in. For some reasons exposed tweeters are just too tempting for kids. I actually saw a pair of Dynaudio Master Evidences with all 4 tweeters poked in. Ouch!

Gopher

« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2011, 01:47 pm »
Thanks JackD!  And very much the truth re: life vs. hobby.

Wow Fred, you have been such a Soul Superfly cheerleader. I am a bit shocked. But you have also tried so many amps that I am not entirely surprised that different speakers might enter the picture at some point. The SSs proving a bit picky in terms of placement?

VR-33s are certainly getting great reviews. As always, looking forward to your impressions moving forward.

And I blame that evening at your place for the Soul Superflys I am now trying out in my rig...

I don't have any desire to change loudspeakers at this point.  The Superflys are very special in my opinion--I'm not looking for an upgrade so much as something livable.  My room layout has changed since the night you heard them at my place.  Had to change things around/open them up so my son could have an area to romp around in.  The result is--my stereo don't sound so spicy.

An excerpt from an email I sent my buddy the day I came home from work and saw the wife's redecorating:

Sent: Mar 25, 2011 7:51 PM
To: "spellyxxx"
Subject: Re: (no subject)

Hmm...  lost a lot of bass impact.  Thats not cool...   midrange suck out too.  shit.  This configuration would be a lot more lifestyle friendly...

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 7:32 PM, Fred Ainsley <fainsley@gxxxl.com> wrote:

So I came home this evening to find my wife reconfigured the den.  Basically my L couch now L's the opposite way against the window with my LPS behind me.  Interesting, my system sounds very different.  I think its because the couch now blocks the windows reflection point--strange though.  It actually sounds kinda foreign to me.

---

This is something new to me.  I'm not looking for better sound...  I just want what I had back dammit!  I own all the same components, but room layout trumps.