Is there a decent recording of "The Joshua Tree"?

Hantra

« on: 31 Jan 2003, 02:13 am »
All:

Does anyone know if there has ever been a better sounding release of "The Joshua Tree"?  I have seen the MFSL version, but is that it?  Also, does anyone have the MFSL version, and is it THAT much better?  I am having a hard time coughing up $80+ for it!  But that is one of my all time favorites, and also one of my worst recordings!  

How's the LP?

Thanks!

B

tmd

« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2003, 08:34 am »
I have thought about that myself. I really like U2 but most of the CD's I have are not very enjoyable anymore. I would also love to have a good recording of Bono with Clannad, In A Lifetime. This was one of the best tracks from the 80's imho.
If anyone is aware of any better recordings of any of U2's stuff I would also like to hear about them.
Thanks, Neil.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2003, 10:30 pm »
I've been looking for quite awhile, too.  It's just strange what gets remastered and what doesn't.  I was thrilled to see the whole back catalogs of Dire Straits, XTC, the Police, Pink Floyd, and (to a lesser degree) Van Halen.  But I'm mystified as to why Bon Jovi gets remastered buy Def Leppard doesn't.  Likewise, of all the weird stuff that is remastered (eg., King Diamond, Merciful Fate), I haven't seen anything by U2.

I agree that most of the U2 catalog sounds pretty dreadful.  I have the Joshua Tree, and it's a pretty bad sounding disc.  You can't really blame the CD technology of the time, as there are a lot of really superb sounding discs dating from that time period.  Not sure why it sounds so thin.

Why not at least a Gold Disc remaster?  Strange that MoFi never released one (to my knowledge) back before they went under.