Had wired, now I need wireless....help!!!

Marbles

Had wired, now I need wireless....help!!!
« on: 15 May 2011, 05:44 pm »
I moved my computer from the room that has my main stereo system to another room on the same floor.

I need to go from wired to wireless.

I currently have an Empirical Audio I2S Turbo Off Ramp USB converter to Empirical modded Benchmark Dac-1.

I'm currently using itunes, but could go back to foobar if needed.

Any ideas on how I can use the Empirical equipment and go wireless?

Thanks!

srb

Re: Had wired, now I need wireless....help!!!
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2011, 06:28 pm »
Although there are some devices purported to turn a USB device into a wireless USB device, I have no idea if they would even work in this application.  You may not be able to use your Empirical Turbo Off Ramp USB converter in a wireless scenario.

You could use an Apple Airport Express or Apple TV to stream iTunes with an optical S/PDIF output from one of those into your Benchmark DAC.  But you would most likely experience a reduction in quality from using the high-end Off Ramp converter.  The Apple devices are also limited to 16/48 and are known for having high jitter levels, although the Benchmark's "Jitter Free Ultralock System" may render that aspect less important.  But one of these devices from ~$50 used to $100 new retail may provide an interim solution, and are always nice to have around for less critical zones (I have 3).

Steve

firedog

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2011, 10:35 am »
I'm not sure I totally understand what you envisage, but another option is to use powerline networking to your room where your main stereo is. Then between the rooms you wouldn't need to string wires, and within each room you would be wired.

I know this is against audiophile dogma, but it won't cost much to try. I do know of users with good quality systems who say they've experienced no degradation of SQ using powerline networking.

Marbles

« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2011, 11:17 am »
Thanks guys!

I'll look into those options.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2011, 12:20 pm »
Thanks guys!

I'll look into those options.

Rob,

I tried the powerline approach (using Cisco and Dlink) and the results were suboptimal.  I found that I would lose connectivity quite frequently and that the speed at which data moved while connected was not adequate. 

I know it is more work and cost, but can you get an electrician to run the Ethernet cable for you so you can have network connectivity in both rooms?

George

Marbles

« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2011, 01:58 pm »
Rob,

I tried the powerline approach (using Cisco and Dlink) and the results were suboptimal.  I found that I would lose connectivity quite frequently and that the speed at which data moved while connected was not adequate. 

I know it is more work and cost, but can you get an electrician to run the Ethernet cable for you so you can have network connectivity in both rooms?

George

Ethernet, probably not, but I can probably buy a 35 foot USB and run it directly from the computer under the carpet to the Off Ramp.

How long can the USB cable be before it degrades the sound?

EDIT: It looks like 15' is the max.

I wonder if an extension cable like this one would work?

http://www.directron.com/gue2118.html

IOGEAR 39 ft. USB 2.0 Booster Extension Cable, Model: GUE2118. ds-dh

The IOGEAR USB 2.0 Booster Extension Cable uses active electronics to amplify the USB signal beyond the USB 2.0 specification of 15 feet. It does this with no loss of data integrity or signal quality. The cable has male and female USB type "A" connectors. The USB "A" connector is the rectangular shaped plug found on PC's, hubs, and many other host interfaces. The IOGEAR USB 2.0 Booster Extension Cable extends from the host and provides another female "A" connector for longer distance USB needs.

The cable is transparent to the host and the device and it is compatible with any O/S or USB accessory. It is ideal for applications that require distance, for example placing a printer in the office or home where more users have easier access. The IOGEAR USB 2.0 Booster Extension Cable is Plug-and-Play, no additional drivers or complicated set up required. The solution can also give you the ability to daisy-chain a maximum of three cables together in order to reach up to a total of 117 feet of USB High-Speed connection.

srb

« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2011, 03:17 pm »
I'm not sure I totally understand what you envisage, but another option is to use powerline networking to your room where your main stereo is.

Marbles was looking for a wireless USB connection to connect the Off-Ramp to the computer's USB port, not a wireless network or wired Ethernet connection, like you might use for a network-connected Squeezebox device.

USB repeater cables would be similar to using USB hubs to extend the USB length limitation.  While these mostly work fine for typical USB peripherals, you might want to check with Steve at Empirical Audio to see how these devices might (or might not) affect the USB timing as related to audiophile USB audio devices, where pulse shape and jitter could have an effect on sound quality that would normally be a non-issue for other computer peripherals such as printers, storage drives, etc.

Although the Asynchronous USB interface is supposed to be less USB cable dependent, it is probably a question worth asking with so much invested in the USB converter and corresponding expectation of improved sound quality.

Steve

TomS

« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2011, 12:41 am »
Rob,

I'd be inclined to put a bare bones pc or even a netbook with the offramp in the listening room and just let it retrieve files from the main computer. Too bad the Offramp doesn't do Linux as my little Alix is only a $130 appliance with no fans, drives or anything needed other than an ethernet port. No physical noise at all.

Tom

Marbles

« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2011, 12:48 am »
Tom,

If it's OK I'll call you tomorrow to discuss how you have your system setup.

WGH

« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2011, 01:00 am »
These little guys always intrigued me though I never had a chance to try them out.
I have no idea how they would work with the Empirical Audio but they are cool anyway.

Audioengine W1

Get them at Audio Advisor risk free.
http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-W1

"The products offered by Audio Advisor are backed by our exclusive 30-day Satisfaction Guarantee.
Audio Advisor is an authorized dealer for all the products we sell.

If you are not satisfied with a product, we will gladly refund the purchase price of the product or exchanged the item.* Please notify your salesman or our customer service department within 30 days of the receipt of the product, to arrange for a return.
"

TomS

« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2011, 01:00 am »
Tom,

If it's OK I'll call you tomorrow to discuss how you have your system setup.
Sorry I'm hosting workshops in Miami this week. Will be back later Friday I hope.

audioengr

« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2011, 01:16 am »
Typically when one wants wireless, they use a Pace-Car with a Sonos or one of the Squeezeboxes instead of the Off-Ramp.  These limit you to either 44.1 or 44.1 and 96.

You can use Apple TV or AirPort Express with a Pace-Car, but it is a bit more expensive because the Pace-Car must be tuned to that source device.

Steve N.

Marbles

« Reply #12 on: 17 May 2011, 09:55 pm »
Yesterday I ordered that extension USB cable:
IOGEAR 39 ft. USB 2.0 Booster Extension Cable, Model: GUE2118. ds-dh

It arrived today!!!!

Since I had changed a few things, like using itunes for the past year, I needed to reinstall foobar, it is a newer version, not the recommended one.  I also reinstalled the M-Audio Transit drivers.

I can report that the extension cable works.  No issues so far.  Sound is very good to my ears.

Thanks for the great idea George!  $40 cable solved my problems.