Icon HDP - new owner, paranoia-related questions

cosmonauticus

Icon HDP - new owner, paranoia-related questions
« on: 12 May 2011, 02:36 pm »
I just received my HDP and I cannot express how much it has opened up my ears to what fantastic computer audio can sound like. Obviously I want to maximize the lifetime of this thing, so I'm wondering:

1. Is there any reason to shut it off (via the volume knob) when I am not using it, or should it be ok to leave it on?
2. Should I care about repeated plugging/unplugging of my headphones from the 1/4" jack in the front?

Thanks in advance.

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
Re: Icon HDP - new owner, paranoia-related questions
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2011, 11:26 pm »
cosmonauticus,

1.  No worries either way.  Recording studios tend to leave their gear on 24/7 because cycling the power does tend to wear out electronic stuff more than leaving it on.  On the other hand, a good power line spike in the middle of the night from a thunderstorm could cause it to let out the magic smoke and then you're in trouble too (once you let that smoke out, electronic devices tend to quit working :-)

2.  Well, if you're really paranoid about it, go get an adapter with a male 3.5mm plug at one end and a female of the same on the other.  Then plug the headphones into it.  That way you'll be wearing out the adapter instead of the headphone jack on the HDP.

No matter what though, the most important thing to remember to do is...

Have fun!  :D
-Bob