Possible amp problem - Class D Audio CDA-254

pjchappy

Possible amp problem - Class D Audio CDA-254
« on: 11 May 2011, 05:14 pm »
I have a Class-D Audio CDA-254 that I believe is the source of my problems (I will confirm this weekend, but I will explain why I think it is the source).

Here is my setup:

---> Sub amp ---> Sub
                                                      /
Source ---> Pre-amp ---> Mini-DSP ---
                                                      \
                                                        ---> Class-D Audio amp ---> Mains

I was watching TV 2-nights ago (volume low--not pushing the amp), when suddenly the mains cut out.  The sub was still going, which is why I believe it is likely a problem with the amp (although it could possibly be the Mini-DSP).  The same problem happened again last night.  In response, I turned off only the amp for several seconds, turned it back on, then I had sound again (for about 15-minutes).

Has anyone had a similar problem with their Class-D Audio amp?  Again, I will take things apart this weekend and confirm, but to me, it looks like the amp is at fault.

Thanks!

Paul

gitarretyp

Re: Possible amp problem - Class D Audio CDA-254
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2011, 05:55 pm »
Paul,

Despite listening at low volumes, that sounds like the amp is going into thermal protection. I had the same trouble with mine and added a larger heatsink, which fixed the problem. If it is thermal protection, it will return to normal operation after a few seconds on its own. I determined it was heat related by running the amp without the cover and observing that it no longer shut-off.

pjchappy

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2011, 06:39 pm »
If this is the case, any idea on why it would just start doing this?  I've had this amp since soon after the craze started (close to a year, I think) and it has ran flawlessly since.

Paul

gitarretyp

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2011, 07:17 pm »
That I can't answer. My amp worked fine for a week or two before overheating became a problem. In any case, testing it by leaving the cover off is pretty simple, and you'll be able to see what the LED indicators are doing.