Any local N3s speakers

skalos

Any local N3s speakers
« on: 11 May 2011, 05:12 pm »
Hello all,

I know this is a lot to ask.

I am wondering if there are any SF Bay Area N3 or N3s owners that would be interested in letting me listen to them before I take the plunge in purchasing a kit.

I would be happy to trade a listen for a bottle of wine or something.

Thanks in advance.

Steven

jparkhur

Re: Any local N3s speakers
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2011, 06:03 pm »
buy a kit, buy a set of cabinets from me, and if you don't like them, sell them for what you paid for it.

JP

Cheeseboy

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2011, 07:18 pm »
Steven,

It is ok to ask someone to open their home for you.  That's how I heard my first GR Research product. 

I have owned several products that Danny has engineered and have been very happy with their performance.   The dollar to sound value is way over the top.   

If I had a pair of N3's you would be welcome to come over. 

When you do get them home and built drop a thread here and I'd enjoy a listen.  I'll bring the wine.

There are several guys here that can help you with the build.  There are some great posts covering recent builds with pictures.  The N3 tower with a servo sub would be my system choice if I were to purchase today.  I even think there are guys that will build a flat pack with the woodwork completed for you.

I don't think you can do better for the money than GR. or sound quality for that matter.

Steve

dvenardos

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2011, 09:28 pm »
You can also signup for the demo pair of N2X (same drivers) that Danny sends around.

jparkhur

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2011, 11:06 pm »
Danny, what about a traveling pair of n3s?????  I'll donate a set of cabs. 

Ron

« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2011, 11:11 pm »
 Listening to a pair of either the N2X or N1X that are on demo tour might be a good alternative. I have built a number of pairs of N2X and a few pairs of N3S and N3 TL towers. They all three have the same sound quality characteristics, except that the N3S and N3 TL's have higher sensitivity and wider dynamic range. So if you can't find anyone nearby that has a pair of N3S that you can listen to you might want to get on the list to audition the ones on tour.

tesseract

« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2011, 11:32 pm »
buy a kit, buy a set of cabinets from me, and if you don't like them, sell them for what you paid for it.

JP

Yes, do this and then sell to me.   :smoke:

I am also interested in the N3's. I am on the N2X audition list, they will be here any day. Best way to hear speakers is in your own home with your music at your leisure. It is really cool that GR Research offers people the chance. Sign up, it's easy, give Danny a call!

Cheeseboy

« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2011, 06:27 pm »
Steven,

Are you going to the California Audio Show in July?  Let me know and perhaps we could hook up.  I'm in Santa Rosa and shopping for a new Pre and Amp combo. 

Steve

mojave

« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2011, 06:57 pm »
I am on the N2X audition list, they will be here any day.
I'd love to hear these. Maybe I should sign up since we live so close.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2011, 07:12 pm »
Yes, do this and then sell to me.   :smoke:

I am also interested in the N3's. I am on the N2X audition list, they will be here any day. Best way to hear speakers is in your own home with your music at your leisure. It is really cool that GR Research offers people the chance. Sign up, it's easy, give Danny a call!

I'd be curious how they sound compared to the B&W's.  I have a friend with those speakers.

tesseract

« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2011, 08:31 pm »
I'd love to hear these. Maybe I should sign up since we live so close.

Mojave, I already have you in mind, I planned on PM'ing you and a few other guys.  :thumb:

tesseract

« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2011, 08:34 pm »
I'd be curious how they sound compared to the B&W's.  I have a friend with those speakers.

I'll let you guys know. Nothing fancy, no DBT's or anything. I can't do quick swaps, I can level match.

I don't expect anything fancy will be necessary, the N2X will probably do just fine against my modest 602's. I mostly just wanna get a handle on how they sound, kick back and enjoy them a bit, see if the N3 is something I would like in the future.

skalos

« Reply #12 on: 13 May 2011, 09:30 pm »
Steve,

I am scheduled to go to the CA audio show. 

I am considering selling my BD-Design "Orphean"s which are 114db @ 1 watt. If I replace these with the N3S, I also have to replace my 2 watt amp with something to that will match up nicely with the N3S. 

Steven

se-riously

« Reply #13 on: 14 May 2011, 04:06 am »
Does a single N3S (construction on hold while I replace my in-law's water heater) in the Bay Area count?  If yes, that's what I'll soon have.

wired4sound

« Reply #14 on: 15 May 2011, 08:42 pm »
I will be interested in hearing one. I can bring a goodie.   :thumb:

skalos

« Reply #15 on: 17 May 2011, 07:41 pm »
I would be up for a listen.  Let me know when you have it done and we can make arrangements. 

Cheeseboy

« Reply #16 on: 20 May 2011, 05:14 pm »
Does a single N3S (construction on hold while I replace my in-law's water heater) in the Bay Area count?  If yes, that's what I'll soon have.

So what savory nuggets are in your main system these days?  I would be interested in a sit down as well.