THOR

mclsound

THOR
« on: 7 May 2011, 11:33 am »
has anyone seen?

ajzepp

Re: THOR
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2011, 12:18 pm »
I was pretty sure this was going to be a bluray view for me, but then I read a review from my boy harry knowles at AICN and saw how glowing the other early reviews were. I'm pretty sure I'll be hitting the theater next week to check this out  :thumb:

Bemopti123

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2011, 01:31 am »
has anyone seen?

Yesterday saw it.  2.25 stars out of 5.  Just another Marvel movie.  Didn't think it being a science fiction movie has much imagination.  Or, the makers don't really need imagination because the heavenly bodies do the same as we humans (in this movie).

TheChairGuy

« Reply #4 on: 8 May 2011, 03:56 am »
Just saw today (in 3D).

Didn't cut the mustard for me.  1.5 stars out of 4, maybe...the extra half a star because I read many a Marvel Comic in my youth :wink:

It wasn't terrible - just merely ho-hum/so-so.

John

wushuliu

« Reply #5 on: 8 May 2011, 04:53 am »
This film will have a somewhat polarized response depending on what you are willing to tolerate. My GF and I had low expectations, though I read some decent reviews on-line. We came out entertained, but I think that's because we really did not expect a whole lot. It's a fun, somewhat goofy film. I think they knew the Asgard-in-space stuff was going to be tough for audiences no matter what so they made that aspect of the film over-the-top and I think it works (this is where Branagh earned his pay IMO), but Marvel/Branagh were smart enough to play with that element when the Earth scenes came into play with great effect. The villain aspect was the weakest part, not clearly defined, and TOO much effort to make the bad guy sympathetic (I thought we passed that phase already, so 90's). The performances I thought were very good, but just be prepared that the Asgard stuff is by-the -book cheesy and overdone.

No matter what this is basically an intro/origin story and Marvel have become cheap bastards and didn't want to spend Iron Man level money. If you go in not expecting too much you'll be entertained.

I just have to give props to Stellan Skarsgaard for basically being a wallflower the entire time to the point where I wasnt even sure it was him, but waiting til credits close is worth it for some pay-off. It's a credit to his skill that such a fricin' brilliant actor can totally make himself more or less unremarkable the entire running time.

Finally, deep down I wish Thor was played by Branagh. Let's face it, he would have rocked it HARD.

mclsound

« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2011, 09:22 am »
seen it last nite and if you are a fan i would say  8/10(OOOOPS)
I loved it
« Last Edit: 20 May 2011, 08:25 pm by mclsound »

toocool4

« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2011, 10:48 am »
I have seen it and it was okay, it will keep you entertained for a couple of hours. I thought it more of a chick flick because of the romantic interest with Natalie Portman and Chris Hemsworth’s characters.

If you are like and like to read the credits to see how did the effects music etc, after the credits have rolled you see more footage that lives it open for a sequel. You will see a famous character that was not in the film but could be in the next one.   

wushuliu

« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2011, 06:25 pm »
I have seen it and it was okay, it will keep you entertained for a couple of hours. I thought it more of a chick flick because of the romantic interest with Natalie Portman and Chris Hemsworth’s characters.

If you are like and like to read the credits to see how did the effects music etc, after the credits have rolled you see more footage that lives it open for a sequel. You will see a famous character that was not in the film but could be in the next one.

Yes, with Marvel movies it's pretty much mandatory to stay for the bonus footage after the credits as they now are beginning to tie together all the Avengers related plots.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2011, 02:02 am »
An ok movie, it was more superman than Thor itself. lol

5/10 stars.

viggen

« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2011, 05:57 am »
An ok movie, it was more superman than Thor itself. lol

5/10 stars.

Perfect description. 

My wife keeps saying "I need a horse."

mclsound

« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2011, 08:26 pm »
My wife brought home some SYFY rental of THOR and it SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I actually watched it in fstfwrd mode!

wushuliu

« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2011, 08:31 pm »
My wife brought home some SYFY rental of THOR and it SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I actually watched it in fstfwrd mode!

? What is a SYFY rental?

mclsound

« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2011, 08:38 pm »
I believe it was intended for space TV or SYFY TV station....It was LOW budget and bad acting...
I loved the theater version and June looks awsome also

mjosef

« Reply #14 on: 24 May 2011, 05:14 am »
3 out of 5..
Way too touchy/feelie with the Natalie Portman character(and I like Natalie), was lacking in depth I felt. The Thor actor shouted "B" grade.

Rclark

« Reply #15 on: 24 May 2011, 07:28 am »
The best super hero movie I've seen yet. I grew up reading the comic. Thor was Thor. Loki was Loki. Asgaard was rightly done. I loved the combat, loved the characters, loved the story. For me it was the equivalent of seeing Star Wars for the first time. Amazing.

Sequel!!!

ajzepp

« Reply #16 on: 27 May 2011, 08:57 pm »
I'm surprised at some of the negative responses....I just got back from seeing it, and it met the relatively high expectations I had for it. It kept me entertained for the entire two hours, and I thought the pacing and story were solid. I didn't feel that the 3D was all that great, and it's yet another example of film that makes me question why I even bother seeing these 3D versions, but not the film's fault  :D
3.5/5 for me

Rclark

« Reply #17 on: 14 Jun 2011, 05:10 am »
Perfect description. 

My wife keeps saying "I need a horse."

I think don't think she was talking about the movie (runs away).

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 1 Sep 2011, 01:36 am »
After seeing all the negative press about this one I had very low expectations, but I really loved it!  I thought the casting was very good.  Chris Hemsworth is about as close as a real human is gonna get at living up to the look of the comic book character.  Portman isn't given a lot to work with but she's easy on the eyes and is always good.  Although Hawkeye is one of the lamer characters in the Marvel Universe, the fact that he'll be played by Jeremy Renner gives me reason to hope the Avengers will be good.

The story was actually pretty good IMOHO.  I'm not sure where all the negative press came from.  The effects were good and rarely overwhelmed the story.  Sure it's bombastic and over the top, but it has to be- they're gods after all!  Like most of the fanboys I would have done a few things differently.  The Destroyer was a wimp compared to the "real" one! :lol:  And it's pretty comical to throw in some black Norse gods just to be 21st century "PC."  Still, I'd have to give it a 3 out of 4.  Not as good as Iron Man 1 or 2, or the last two Dark Knight films, but a cut above the average super hero flick.  Certainly better than either Hulk movies, Daredevil, Punisher, Superman, etc.

wushuliu

« Reply #19 on: 1 Sep 2011, 04:19 am »
I think they cast Idris Elba because he's an awesome actor :nono:.  I mean, they also got Stellan Skaarsgard, who is the only REAL Scandinavian in the film so I figure it's even  8) (since the the film is based on a comic and takes place in outer space and not based on actual Norse mythology complaints of inauthenticity don't have much ground).