(Custom Tube Preamp Audition) at Alpha Tech Electronics

sturgus

If anyone is intrested Thom from Flip's Audio will be showing his new custom built preamp. It will be tue. April 6, from 7 to 9 pm.
Location is 1502 Big Bend Blvd.
314-803-7927
Hope to see you there.
Sturgus

steve k

« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2004, 10:26 pm »
I won't be able to make that one but I'd love to hear it. Give us a full report, Sturg. Is Thom carrying his old stock from Flip's at Alpha Tech now? Maybe there's enough stuff there to have another GAS meeting there??
steve k

sturgus

« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2004, 03:22 am »
Hey Gas House Boys,
Wish you could have made it. The preamp was sounding very good. It is based on the 6sn7 tube with tube rectifaction. The one we listened to only had 1 input. The guy that bought it only use cd as a source. It was driving the Proceed amp, and the Maggie 3.6's.  The source was a Theta transport an Audio Alchemy dac. I was quite impressed by what I heard.
The sound was very balanced with good extension and very natural sounding midrange. I talked to a few people about GAS and got some good comments. We may have a few more members. Thom said give him a little time and he would host a session there. I also talked to Zaw and he is intrested doing a swap meet  every other month. The place has two nice rooms. Thom is still carrying Maggies, Vandersteen, and the Rourk's. He also has ASL and is looking at handling VTL. There was also a great abundance of used gear. All in all I had a great time.
Sturgus

steve k

« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2004, 03:37 am »
Hey Sturg,
Thanks for the report. Good to hear Thom is doing well. Did you lust for the 3.6's??? :nono:
steve