IR remote power switch for DIY amp?

wgscott

IR remote power switch for DIY amp?
« on: 4 May 2011, 04:20 pm »
I'm building a Class D Audio kit and have everything working, but ideally I would like to use an IR remote control to turn it on and off internally.  I would have thought this is a common thing, but I can't seem to find anything, let alone how to install one and where to buy one.  I assume all I need is a switch and an IR receiver.  I would be exceptionally grateful for any suggestions.

TomW16

Re: IR remote power switch for DIY amp?
« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2011, 02:59 pm »
Another option is a triggered outlet that you would plug the amp into.  You would need, however, a preamp or another piece of equipment that has a 12V trigger out to control the outlet.

Good luck.

Tom

wgscott

« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2011, 05:20 pm »
Look around here. There might be something you can use.

http://www.instructables.com/pages/search/search.jsp?cx=partner-pub-1783560022203827%3Anpr2q7v5m6t&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=remote+on%2Foff+switch

Thanks.  That site lead me to this:

http://simerec.com/zapper.htm

This is exactly what I need.  I would prefer it be internal, but otherwise it is perfect.  (I guess I could make it internal.  For $50, this is pretty near ideal, and as long as it doesn't somehow degrade the sound quality....

wgscott

« Reply #4 on: 8 May 2011, 05:23 pm »
Another option is a triggered outlet that you would plug the amp into.  You would need, however, a preamp or another piece of equipment that has a 12V trigger out to control the outlet.

Good luck.

Tom

The Peachtree Nova I want to use it with has "IR in" and "IR out" but they said the 12 V trigger isn't implemented.  If it was, that would be absolutely ideal.

wgscott

« Reply #5 on: 8 May 2011, 06:57 pm »
Well, it turns out I am wrong.  What Peachtree said is that it was non-standard and would potentially be used for interaction with future products.

So I measured a small DC voltage spike signal that is sent in conjunction with the IR remote, so I have a signal I can potentially use to power on the new amp. 

Now my problem is how to turn that signal into an on-off switch?  I get a signal for every IR remote button, not just the power on/off switch (eg, volume control).