new member / new owner 8)

randog

« on: 30 Jan 2003, 10:55 pm »
Greetings!

This is crossposted to harmonic discord and audiocircle... I hope that's ok.

Well, I've recently joined the ranks of the Odyssey clan. Some of you may have seen the ad on audiogon last week... well I'm the lucky guy who picked up the pair of Stratos mono's and the Tempest. Since I was the first to contact the seller, I offered him less than he was asking if I were to pick them up in San Francisco (a 3 hour drive away). Jeff, the seller, countered and between the time that we made the deal (Friday) and when I showed up (Tuesday), Jeff had a number of other folks trying to get their mitts on them. One guy from San Jose told him he'd beat me there and give him *more* than he was asking. To Jeff's credit, he stuck by his word and held out for me. Kudo's to Jeff and his integrity as it could have meant a handful of bens back in his pocket otherwise. Very cool and exactly what I would have done had the shoe been on the other foot (chalk one up for Kharma). As far as that SJ boy, well if you're out there you can kiss my furry bottom, you bottom-fed, pan-fried loser! LOL!  8)

When I first picked these up, I was floored... literally!   :o These things are tanks! Right under the Stratos logo should be etched the phrase "sheetmetal is for sissies."

Thanks to Klaus for spending time with me on the phone before the purchase. His reputation is well deserved and his customer service put me over the top on my decision. (Klaus, if you are reading this: I sent you an email about changing the registration, etc. I also wanted to get in the que for your extreme mono upgrade and Tempest HT bypass, etc. Didja get that?)

I'm building my setup from scratch with a strong emphasis on 2-channel listening but also to be integrated with a simple but solid 5 channel HT system. These are the first 3 components purchased towards that goal. Any recommendations on other components that synergize well with Odyssey is greatly appreciated. I prefer high quality, high value, bang-for-buck stuff on par with the Odyssey philosophy.

Also, who do you folks use to ship these toe-crushers back to Odyssey? Is one courier preferred over others based on cost and handling care?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and sorry for the long-winded intro,

Randog
Northern California Sierra Foothills

BTW, I notice a lot of far-out emoticons being used here that aren't listed. Where are those found?

hairofthedawg

« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2003, 12:16 am »
Welcome and congratulations!  Underneath the emoticons you can see is a link that says view more emoticons.  I think those are what you're looking for.

cheers,

Dick

mgalusha

Re: new member / new owner 8)
« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2003, 12:24 am »
Quote from: randog
Also, who do you folks use to ship these toe-crushers back to Odyssey? Is one courier preferred over others based on cost and handling care?

Welcome to AC!

I used FedEx ground to ship mine back for the upgrade and had no problems. I have had UPS kill two seperate amps (not Odyssey) and won't use them again. Hopefully you have the original cartons, if not perhaps Klaus will provide some to protect your precious cargo. :)

Mike

speedcenter

• http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/audio
Re: new member / new owner 8)
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2003, 12:56 am »
Quote from: mgalusha

Welcome to AC!

I used FedEx ground to ship mine back for the upgrade and had no problems. I have had UPS kill two seperate amps (not Odyssey) and won't use them again. Hopefully you have the original cartons, if not perhaps Klaus will provide some to protect your precious cargo. :)

Mike

I've had a long fight with UPS and a vendor over a $2000 computer monitor that was dropped off in totally demolished condition (tucked in a corner where the person who signed the slip couldn't see that the other half of the box had been hit by a train or something like that)

took me and my credit card company about 6 months to finally get these guys off my back - I ordered a new product, not a repaired product (which is what UPS offers when they drop your stuff and break it - their insurance doesn't mean you get the insured value, as it is self-insurance and at their discretion what they do with the damaged goods).

Anything bigger than a small envelope, I ship with FedEx - I have never had a problem with them.

hairofthedawg

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jan 2003, 01:30 am »
Don't know whether it was the company that shipped it or DHL, but they got a pinball machine to me in Cyprus from Florida in perfect working order.  I've yet to hear anyone brag about UPS except a good friend from HS who works for them.

cheers,

Dick

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2003, 05:52 am »
Thanks for the ink and the kind words.  Well,  we use UPS and so far, we've had rather few problems.  The biggest hhmmmmm????  was last year,  when a cargo train did a booboo somewhere in Nebraska (Kansas?),  disrailed, and hundreds of boxes were destroyed.  In the accident was one of 2 boxes shipped to CA.  Hehehe,  can you say turning merchandise ?

Anyway,  UPS is usually fine,  if you'll use our factory packaging.

Late,

Klaus

randog

« Reply #6 on: 7 Feb 2003, 05:34 pm »
Thanks for the welcome guys! yea, I'm pretty excited to get this system up and running.  :smoke:

Randog

JoshK

« Reply #7 on: 7 Feb 2003, 07:11 pm »
Welcome!