Has anyone heard of the bands promoted by werkshop.com?

meilankev

Sarah McLachlan is the one artist I know. But I am unfamiliar with any of the others.

Their prices for vinyl is ridiculously low, and I'm thinking "Why not? Let's give some of these guys a shot." But any insights would be appreciated.

> The Aquanettes
> Delerium
> Dusted
> The Ids
> Bill Pritchard
> Severed Heads
> SPK

From these bands, they sell 9 titles in vinyl (plus one more for Ms McLachlan - "Remixed"). The total price for all 10 albums is only $71.00. Five of them sell for $5.00 apiece, and one sells for only $4.00. Again, I am itching to try out some new stuff, but any advice would be appreciated.

Kevin

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2004, 12:42 pm »
No real experience, but why should that keep me from posting??? :D
Just a wild guess, but the preponderance of 12" inch singles and the fact that they're offering a Remixed Sarah McLachlan LP makes me think that werkshop might feature dance bands???? I listened to the remixed version of Sarah's "Angel" (the DJ Jazzy Meilankev Mix) and it seemed funkified for dancing (emphasis on bass & beats). Nothing wrong with that as long as that's what's you're looking for.
http://www.werkshop.com/cgi-bin/nw/vinyl.html

BTW, if you're looking for vinyl, I got a 10" EP by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs of their hit "Maps" from Insound for a decent price.  It definitely has a hook to it, MIGHT even be considered a dance single, but I like it (and it's RED!)

meilankev

« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2004, 01:44 pm »
Thanks for your insights.  I stumbled across that web site when looking for the "Remixed" vinyl release.  And their price ($13.00) is less expensive than anywhere else I found.  And then I saw they had these other bands (unknown to me) with full releases on vinyl (for very cheap prices).  Maybe you are right - perhaps it is techno, dance music.

And yes, I'm always on the lookout for new vinyl.  In fact, all of my recent purchases have been vinyl (probably 50+ discs).  I found a number of desirable titles at:

www.the-record-collector.com

Kevin

Thump553

« Reply #3 on: 2 Apr 2004, 04:24 pm »
Did you check www.allmusic.com for any info on those bands? I've found that site to be pretty inclusive and reasonably objective.

meilankev

« Reply #4 on: 3 Apr 2004, 12:30 pm »
Thump,

Thanks for the scoop about allmusic - it is a big help.

Kevin