virtuoso piano

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
virtuoso piano
« on: 1 May 2011, 05:28 pm »
Just picked up some Liszt played by Cziffra. Wow.  I had always put Horowitz first on my list of master of technique, but Gyorgy Cziffra may be at the top.  Can any of you recommend any other of his recordings? 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: virtuoso piano
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2011, 05:32 pm »
Yes, his set of Hungarian Rhapsodies is one of the best recordings of anything, ever:

S Clark

« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2011, 06:06 pm »
Yes, his set of Hungarian Rhapsodies is one of the best recordings of anything, ever:

On cd, or do I start the loooong search for a NM vinyl?

Tyson

« Reply #3 on: 1 May 2011, 06:47 pm »
I've only heard the CD version, which sounds fine and is still in print.

S Clark

« Reply #4 on: 1 May 2011, 07:45 pm »
I've only heard the CD version, which sounds fine and is still in print.
Thanks, Tyson.  I've got a copy on the way. 
Other virtuoso performances- Pollini Chopin preludes. IMHO a perfect example of a performer using his technical ability to leave a musical piece devoid of any beauty intended by the composer. I absolutely hate this record as music, but respect the performers technique.  Anybody want a copy for free?

Scott

Tyson

« Reply #5 on: 1 May 2011, 07:52 pm »
I think a lot of the problems with the Pollini recording is the glassy/hard sound that the DG engineers give him.  If I adjust my system to give a little more low-midrange warmth, they come off pretty well, actually.  A bit "straight", perhaps, but not too bad overall. 

Of course, for absolutely first rate, personal interpretations in great modern sound, hard to beat Tharaud:

S Clark

« Reply #6 on: 1 May 2011, 08:56 pm »
Well, I agree with the "hard" recording, but the engineers didn't insist that Pollini take these preludes at breakneck speed.  Every phrase is already by you before you have time to savor it.

Tharaud? I guess it shows how behind I am- never heard of this guy. I'll look for this one as well.

OK, let's hear from some more.  What are the virtuoso performances?

Randy

Tyson

« Reply #8 on: 1 May 2011, 09:52 pm »
ANYTHING by Marc-Andre Hamelin is in the top of the virtuoso class, the guy is just superhuman.  And the sound quality is always excellent as well.  In fact, his technique is so over-the-top great that he never sounds strained in any passage of anything.  It allows him to focus more on musical and expressive qualities instead of just flash:

Randy

« Reply #9 on: 1 May 2011, 10:51 pm »
Speaking of Hamelin, he recorded this work as well, but I like this version better.

http://www.amazon.com/People-United-Will-Never-Defeated/dp/B000000R3N/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1304300548&sr=1-2

« Last Edit: 2 May 2011, 01:43 am by Randy »

holden4th

« Reply #10 on: 3 Sep 2011, 11:41 pm »
I have to agree that Cziffra was one of the greatest virtuosos of the 20th century, yet he was more than just that. His technical facility allowed him to play with musicality and there is another side of him beyond mere bravura fireworks. His Chopin is surprisingly tender in places and he had an innate ability to play baroque composers such as Rameau and Couperin. I have the Cziffra 40 CD set issued by EMI and it's a wealth of musical joy from a much misunderstood pianist.

But if it's sheer virtuosity that you want then try this out on Youtube. As you listen the musical notation unfolds on the page and your jaw just drops at what you see on the page yet it is played with such ease.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3-c5CFVF7g

Jonathan G.

« Reply #11 on: 5 Sep 2011, 08:40 pm »
Also concerning Hamelin, he's giving a recital in Kansas City October 15.  I already have my tickets.