a couple more VPI 19 Jr. questions

rcag_ils

a couple more VPI 19 Jr. questions
« on: 30 Apr 2011, 03:36 pm »
Do the MK IIIs and MK IVs use the same springs?

Can these springs be used on a Jr. without the split plinth?

Thanks

bside123

Re: a couple more VPI 19 Jr. questions
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2011, 03:47 pm »
Many of us with the MKIV spring suspension found that the table sounds better WITHOUT the springs. I took them out and went back to a rigid suspension. Better imaging, stronger base, more detail, etc. This was my personal experience. YMMV  8)

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2011, 09:19 pm »
Not sure, no, and yes.

I don't know of a difference in the springs, but with the answers below, it doesn't matter.

No you can't use either set of springs with the Jr plinth.  The two best mods for the plinth and frame part of the table is to replace the MDF plinth with something better.  What is better is a hotly debated topic.  Corian and faux granite are the popular choices, although both have been trashed by naysayers for various reasons.  The second mod is getting rid of the stock feet and replacing with any good cone.  The threads are odd size so it's sometimes hard to find a direct replacement.   

And yes, bside123 is correct, many HW-19 owners have either replaced their springs with pucks or installed dampers inside the springs.

rcag_ils

« Reply #3 on: 1 May 2011, 02:27 pm »
Many of us with the MKIV spring suspension found that the table sounds better WITHOUT the springs.

Part of the major Jr upgrade is to replace the rigid to spring, and replace the one piece MDF plinth with a more rigid two piece plinth. If that doesn't improve the sound, what is the improvement.

VPI still sell a one piece stainless plinth for the Jr for $300, but once the tonearm hole has been cut, there's no turning back. $300 for an arm board is kind of spendy.

bside123

« Reply #4 on: 1 May 2011, 04:09 pm »
VPI has a stainless steel plinth for the HW-19 that allows you to change arm boards. It is one piece underneath and splits into two pieces on the top. You can use/order more than one arm board (or make your own) without having to change the plinth.

Even though VPI made the springs as an "upgrade" for the HW-19, virtually everyone I know who has worked with this particular model table has found that the spring suspension degraded the sound. Go figure. Some have gone back to the sorbothane pucks, isolating pucks of other materials, and me... I created a suspension of inverted cones underneath the plinth.

Agreeing with Letitroll98, the stock feet must go and be replaced with much better isolating feet, such as cones, etc. In addition, the table should be isolated from any vibration, just as much as possible. Play the HW-19 without the dustcover in place... it's just a big resonator. Use the dustcover as just that... a "dustcover" after you're done spinning tunes.

Hope this helps. 

rcag_ils

« Reply #5 on: 1 May 2011, 04:23 pm »
VPI has a stainless steel plinth for the HW-19 that allows you to change arm boards. It is one piece underneath and splits into two pieces on the top. You can use/order more than one arm board (or make your own) without having to change the plinth.

I would assume the board underneath is a one piece stainless steel with a bigger hole by the tonearm area, and the board on top is replaceable? If anyone could post a close up pic, I would appreciate it, so I know exactly what does it look like.

Even though VPI made the springs as an "upgrade" for the HW-19, virtually everyone I know who has worked with this particular model table has found that the spring suspension degraded the sound.

So theoretically the Jr. sounds better than the MK3 and MK4?

Waynefi

« Reply #6 on: 6 May 2011, 02:36 am »
I would assume the board underneath is a one piece stainless steel with a bigger hole by the tonearm area, and the board on top is replaceable? If anyone could post a close up pic, I would appreciate it, so I know exactly what does it look like.

They were stainless, but the last ones they were selling were painted steel. The one I bought and sold, I never checked, but the guy I sold it to said for sure it was steel. Now you are correct, you can only buy them assembled with a one piece acrylic top. Actually in the end it was thought that the more solid one piece plate was better then with a seperate arm board. Though a lot of work if you want to change to another arm. But there is always something given up one way or the other.

No, the Mark III  and IV would be considered better because of the heavier platter assy.

Hope that helps

Waynefi

« Reply #7 on: 6 May 2011, 03:13 am »

Here is the one I sold. I stole this pic of it from the guy I sold it to ! :nono:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=249357&d=1294677302

rcag_ils

« Reply #8 on: 6 May 2011, 11:31 am »
Thanks for the pic.

I didn't know it was a hollow piece. Is the top also a one piece that would make arm swapping impossible?

Waynefi

« Reply #9 on: 7 May 2011, 12:47 am »
Thanks for the pic.

I didn't know it was a hollow piece. Is the top also a one piece that would make arm swapping impossible?

Impossible no, but a lot of work. They silicone the acrylic to the steel, and that seal can be broken. But even if you do that you need to have a complete new top plate made.

Hopefully you got the PM I sent you.