Need help making loudspeaker boxes in Brisbane!

fishball79

« on: 2 Apr 2004, 02:09 am »
Hi all,

I'm a student currently studying in QUT.  I am interested in trying out diy hifi, starting with a pair of bookshelf sized speakers first.  Have gotten loudspeaker parts already designed the crossover and enclosure.  Unfortunately I have yet to find any carpenters/cabinet makers willing  take up the task of cutting mdf to size w/ holes and rebating.  

Can suggestions, specific wood working co or advice?

Christof

« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2004, 02:45 am »
Chris

I don't know anyone in AU but as the owner of a custom wood shop in the States I would recommend you get some pieces of MDF, maybe half sheets or quarter sheets (something easy to handle) and just show up at a local cabinet shop.  If you call first they might say they are too busy but if you show up with $20-$30, the materials and a drawing of the cuts you want they should be willing to do it.  Tell them you'll leave it there and come back the next day.  Surely someone in the shop will make a few cuts for some quick cash.  

Peace
Christof

Malcolm Fear

« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2004, 04:10 am »
I use Mr Ply&Wood for cutting. They sell MDF snd ply. They will cut to a cutting list for about $10.00 a sheet. That gets your job half done.

Check them on the internet.

fishball79

« Reply #3 on: 2 Apr 2004, 08:44 am »
Wow!  Fast response!  Even from outside Australia!

I sent an email to Mr Ply, hopefully they'll answer soon so I can order stuff n spend the easter break assembling them up.

A cabinet maker did want my business but i had to wait 'a few weeks'.  I read in woodworking forum that Bunnings, a local warehouse hardware store no longer cuts MDF and the other few places cant cut accurate enough.

I reckon i need pretty accurate cuts as i dont have any tools so i hope i can go to shop, pick up boards, come home, glue immediately, no fuss.  I did consider www.theloudspeakerkit.com but i got some Scanspeak woofers cheap and decide to diy all the way.

Thanks guys and let's hope i wont have to reply to this thread about needing more avenues.

Rocket

mdf cutting
« Reply #4 on: 2 Apr 2004, 09:00 am »
hi,

who designed your xover and speaker?

just curious.

regards

rod

fishball79

« Reply #5 on: 2 Apr 2004, 09:45 am »
Hi Rocket,

Sorry to disappoint you but I did and without any previous experience.  I have limited experience with diy but chose a (temporary one that i hope shouldn't screw up the sound too much) 1st order high pass crossing at 5khz.  There is no low pass filter.

The drivers in question are:-

Vifa DN26-15 older neodymium tweets (might be replaced with Morel CR103 car tweets later) &
Scanspeak 5.5" 15w8530k00 woofers.

This xo is also cheap and simple enough to get the speaker up and running.  I'll have to hear how they sound like and tweak the xo.  

Since i havent heard this combination the crossover will probably change over time till they sound more right than wrong.  Then we go on to getting them sounding musical, smooth, (insert additional positive audiophile superlatives here), etc.

What a poor student has to do get afford good sound ,sighs :)

Rocket

xover design
« Reply #6 on: 2 Apr 2004, 09:48 am »
Hi Chris,

Well you already sound like you know more than what i do.

Good luck with you cabinets, please let us know how it all pans out.

regards

rod

EchiDna

« Reply #7 on: 2 Apr 2004, 11:12 am »
back in Australia Fishball?

seems like only yesterday you were here in Singapore for the NOISing DIY event ;-)

fishball79

« Reply #8 on: 3 Apr 2004, 04:18 am »
Rocket,

You got it, updates as it happens!

Echidna,

Yeap, am back and halfway thru a semester already.

Yes, NoiSING was such a memorable event it does seem only like yesterday to me too!

Rocket

xover design
« Reply #9 on: 3 Apr 2004, 09:24 am »
Hi,

When is the next DIY event in singapore?

I'm thinking of going for a trip in June, lot's of good hifi at cheap prices.

regards

rod

fishball79

« Reply #10 on: 8 Apr 2004, 07:04 am »
Rocket,

The event Enchidna and i went wasn't officially annual as yet as it started off as a small get-together but blew up into event sized with more than an hundred participants (my guess).

check out
http://classifieds.singnet.com.sg
http://ww.echoloft.com 's forums for deals in SG

- Update -

Mr Ply & Wood estimates costs to be $560 excluding wood costs to make 2 pairs of speakers.  I'm need another source!

fishball79

« Reply #11 on: 28 Apr 2004, 01:44 pm »
Got Mister Ply & Wood to cut out the basic panels of speakers.  Will have to drill and rout holes meself :(  Total cost $130 for enough panels to make 2 pairs of speakers and some make shift T shaped stands.

bluesky

« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2004, 01:25 am »
Hi Fishball

I have just looked at this site and wonder if you still need a hand with your DIY speakers?

I am building my Aksonics and have a Triton to cut the panels with accuracy,  I am still assembling my router table.

I may be able to help you with doing some cutting, I have also found a local source for well priced MDF and particle board that is already veneered.

PM me if you are interested.

Ian

fishball79

« Reply #13 on: 31 May 2004, 07:19 am »
Hi bluesky!  You got PM!   :P

fishball79

Wood cut!!!
« Reply #14 on: 6 Jul 2004, 02:25 am »
Have to give Bluesky a big thank you for loaning me his garage chockful of wood working equipment.  Couldn't have done what I have now without him!

Anyone in brissy wanting to make your own speakers but have no tools, do check him out!

I have managed to cut holes needed for 2 pairs of speakers, 2 pairs of simple T shape stands for them as well as boxes for 3 90litre sub woofers.

Will post pictures very soon.  [/img]

fishball79

« Reply #15 on: 5 Aug 2004, 06:23 am »
*Update*

Speakers are up!  Anyways, here they are.

http://sg.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fishball1979/album?.dir=/fa63&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//sg.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

The drivers are vifa DN26 or Morel Rennaisance Car audio tweeters on top with Scanspeak's Revelator 5.5" woofers in a 8 litre ported box tuned to 60hz.  The box is made of 18mm mdf with no braces joined together with Liquid Nails.  The box design was sort of a compromise to allow me to place them on my desk when i'm too busy to sit down and listen in the lounge room.

Currently the woofer runs full range but has a zoebel and baffle step correction circuit that also helps flatten a 3db plateau that starts at 1khz.  Tweeter comes in gently at 6khz, 1st order xo.  So far the sound is OK, no nasty bumps or dips anywhere, rather pleasant.  Being on a desk and near a wall helps reinforce the midbass.  

This was a pretty shoddy job based solely on specs from D-S-T.  Will be testing with a 3khz crossover point later on with the morel tweeter... experimenting with xo parts  from jaycar can get costly!  I've spent about $80 so far!

If funds permit, will want to employ a simple electronic xo based on sallen-key circuits in the future... along with actual t/s parameters.  

Many thanks to Bluesky for loaning me his garage o' tools.  Thanks mate, will be coming soon with Peter, our speakers and a case of beer!

bluesky

« Reply #16 on: 5 Aug 2004, 06:46 am »
Hi Chris

Great to see and hear that you have your speakers up and running.

My Aksonics are finished and sound quite good.  I also got the Shanling I wanted for so long.  Had endless trouble with hum and ground loops. I finally took the preamp out and connected it directly to the amp, now it is perfect!

I have also built an ESP phonostage and power supply and think I will add his preamp as it is well isolated from transformers through a power pack and therefore I hope no more hum and ground loops.

I am currently working on new cases and did some work on the Triton this afternoon cutting out the sides which are wood with the front/base and rear panels in stainless steel.

Last week I came across a local club that does woodturning and metal work.  I hope to join and learn a heap of stuff and get to use all their lathes etc.  They are mostly retired tradesmen but they are the best to learn from! :D

All the puppies (except one) are gone after pretty much trashing the loungeroom and back yard! :(  

Look forward to seeing you and Peter again.

Bluesky