Which iPad makes a better present for Mother's Day?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Which iPad makes a better present for Mother's Day?
« on: 29 Apr 2011, 01:57 pm »
Loaded 1 or the basic 2?

I don't need 3G as I don't plan on signing on any contract.  So 3G is superfluous.

In a nutshell, 64GB iPad1 (free case) at $569 vs. 16GB iPad2 at $499.  Which is a better deal?

I ask because I don't use it and I don't know if 64GB is really needed over 16GB and whether 2 is functionally much better than 1.

ctviggen

Re: Which iPad makes a better present for Mother's Day?
« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2011, 06:59 pm »
This probably too late, but I bought my wife a basic 1.  That's mainly because all I could see her using the iPad for was to surf the net and I didn't think spending 6-800 dollars (with case, plus tax) for something we're going to use solely to surf the net was worth it.

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2011, 08:35 pm »
The ipad2 is a better deal. Comes with front and rear facing cameras and a faster processor.

The amount of storage on the device is not a big deal unless you are looking to store many, many songs on your ipad.

Buyakasoundman

« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2011, 11:52 pm »
So which one did you end up going with?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 9 May 2011, 01:11 am »
The ipad2 is a better deal. Comes with front and rear facing cameras and a faster processor.

The amount of storage on the device is not a big deal unless you are looking to store many, many songs on your ipad.

Not sure I agree that an iPad 2 is the better deal.

Apps, pics, and movies can chew up the memory in a hurry depending on usage.  16GB can be used in the blink of the eye when adding content.

I have a couple of 64GB version 1 iPad and both are currently using around 50% of the available memory and that is with no music installed.

Unless you must have a camera, I would personally go with the first version and more memory. 

BTW, if it is a Mother's Day gift and you needed it today, you might not have a choice...I know in the Boston area I still can't get an iPad 2 unless I want it with wireless G.

George

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #5 on: 1 Sep 2011, 03:20 pm »
Ended up ordering an Ipad2 64 Wifi.  Phone order from B&H saved me only $.05 but with free shipping and no tax it's better than getting it from a local store.  BTW, it is turning into an anniversary gift.  8)

ctviggen

« Reply #6 on: 1 Sep 2011, 03:35 pm »
I guess it depends on what you do with the iPad.  Currently, we use this as solely a web surfing device.  We have no movies, pictures, music on it.  I use my iPod for music.  We don't play games with it.  I assume in the future, we'll use the iPad for movies and maybe pictures, but we'll see.  I have a 3TB drive with all my movies, pictures, music, home videos on it; we just bring my wife's laptop and watch everything using it.  For us, the 16GB is plenty of space right now. 

skunark

« Reply #7 on: 1 Sep 2011, 09:10 pm »
I would go for iPad 2 for the zippier processor and the additional RAM, both makes graphics and video look better and the interaction is smoother.  As for the storage unless you want access to a few movies or tons of music, i would probably just go for the 16GB.   I skipped the 3G as I feel the plan is overpriced and it's not that hard to find a free wifi hotspot in my area. 

I've owned both, gave my original iPad to my brother, he loves it but not a huge power user.  I don't see myself upgrading from an iPad 2 to whatever is next.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #8 on: 1 Sep 2011, 09:26 pm »
Apple now has the second generation iPad on the refurb page in case anyone is looking for a (relative) bargain.