With 8th Nerve gone, what options are out there for room treatment.

buckeyefanandy

I have recently finished building out a 600 square foot attic "man cave"  it has a sloped ceiling that starts about 5 feet from the floor on one side and about four 3 feet from the floor on the other.  There is a stairway on one side that opens up and a small "room" about 8 by 10 that is all peak.  (storage for gear, source material, etc. 

The room is great, but only have two real options for placement of the audio.  Is is better to go along the long wall and go "near field" with one side that has a wall and the other wide open or would it be better to face the rectangular part of the room with the open space behind the listening position.

If neither is ideal, are they ways to counteract the room dynamics.

sebrof

I'd start with the open space behind me for sure.

richidoo

Congrats on finishing the new room. IME, you have to try orienting speakers both ways to know which will sound better. Going lengthwise I agree that you want the side walls as equal as possible to get symmetric soundstage illusion.

Slanted ceiling angles are usually obtuse, which will not aim corner midrange reflections toward you like right angle corners do. So you might find that the 90 degree corners more valuable for treatment than the 135 degree ceiling angles.  Since the slanted ceiling walls are different heights, to achieve soundstage symmetry when shooting lengthwise, place speakers more toward the taller sidewall so the distance from tweeter to ceiling is more equal. Speaker placement has as much effect as treatment, but it takes a long time to do a good job. 

Often the most valuable place for bass absorption in a small room is right next to the speakers, leaning against the wall on their side, starting at the front baffle and coming out into the room from there. Covering the floor/wall seam in front of speaker. 

Don't blindly follow any rules until you hear and compare for yourself. Sidewall and ceiling reflections as well as front wall SBIR absorbtion are common rules, but they have side effects, especially in lively room. Try it and see. Have fun Andy!

Michael Green

• http://www.michaelgreenaudio.com
greetings

I haven't been on Audiocircle but a couple of times and not sure how to set up among the manufactures circles (I will find out and do so). I think it would be good however to introduce myself to you in this case.

My name is Michael Green original designer of RoomTune. Since 8th Nerve was a spin off of my product I will be happy to help in any way I can with your product questions.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
I have recently finished building out a 600 square foot attic "man cave"  it has a sloped ceiling that starts about 5 feet from the floor on one side and about four 3 feet from the floor on the other.  There is a stairway on one side that opens up and a small "room" about 8 by 10 that is all peak.  (storage for gear, source material, etc. 

The room is great, but only have two real options for placement of the audio.  Is is better to go along the long wall and go "near field" with one side that has a wall and the other wide open or would it be better to face the rectangular part of the room with the open space behind the listening position.

If neither is ideal, are they ways to counteract the room dynamics.

It is always best to face the short wall to have a further throw for the monitors. See the following for a set up.
http://www.gikacoustics.com/room_setup.php

Glenn Kuras
GIK Acoustics
www.gikacoustics.com