Let's talk about Bybee Music Rails

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Let's talk about Bybee Music Rails
« on: 28 Apr 2011, 12:11 am »
Lets talk about them.  Who uses them and where do you use them? 

What are your results?

http://www.bybeelabs.com/uploads/Product_Sheet.pdf

roscoeiii

Re: Let's talk about Bybee Music Rails
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2011, 12:16 am »
Here is hoping that you use them on your new Atmas and report back to us here...

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2011, 12:18 am »
Here is hoping that you use them on your new Atmas and report back to us here...

That will probably be on the yet to be released 4.0 upgrade.   :wink:

Wayne1

« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2011, 12:59 am »
Bybee Music Rails are not and will not be sold for DIY. They can only be installed by the manufacturer or an authorized modder.

I have used them for lower voltage, lower current power supplies for a SqueezeBox Touch. They DO make a fairly large difference in the perceived noise floor. I can hear deeper into the music. There is more space and depth with the lower noise floor.

For higher voltage (above 25 volts) and higher current (above 2 amps) additional circuitry is required. Large resistors that will displace the excess voltage and/or current will generate quite a bit of heat. This needs to be considered when considering mounting the components. This can be a bit tricky with certain pieces of gear that don't have much free space internally for add-ons.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2011, 01:05 am »
Bybee Music Rails are not and will not be sold for DIY. They can only be installed by the manufacturer or an authorized modder.

Well, that stinks!  I didn't know that.  So one would need to send you a PS to have it installed?  What's that cost?

roscoeiii

« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2011, 01:12 am »
I do believe that Atma-sphere gear was being used in the same room that the Music Rails were being demoed in at CES or RMAF. They weren't being demoed on Atma-sphere gear, but maybe Ralph got to give a listen...

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2011, 01:14 am »
I do believe that Atma-sphere gear was being used in the same room that the Music Rails were being demoed in at CES or RMAF. They weren't being demoed on Atma-sphere gear, but maybe Ralph got to give a listen...

I can ask but that wasn't why I started this thread.  It was really about learning more about them as to who and what people have used them on and the results. 

TomS

« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 2011, 01:50 am »

I have used them for lower voltage, lower current power supplies for a SqueezeBox Touch. They DO make a fairly large difference in the perceived noise floor. I can hear deeper into the music. There is more space and depth with the lower noise floor.

For higher voltage (above 25 volts) and higher current (above 2 amps) additional circuitry is required. Large resistors that will displace the excess voltage and/or current will generate quite a bit of heat. This needs to be considered when considering mounting the components. This can be a bit tricky with certain pieces of gear that don't have much free space internally for add-ons.
Wayne,

I thought the same thing but it looks like anyone can buy them from PartsConnexion now http://www.partsconnexion.com/bybee_musical_rails.html

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 28 Apr 2011, 01:52 am »
Wayne,

I thought the same thing but it looks like anyone can buy them from PartsConnexion now http://www.partsconnexion.com/bybee_musical_rails.html

Oh sweet Tom!  I went to Wayne's site and they're $300.  What am I missing now?

http://www.boldercables.com/servlet/Search?category=Bolder+Cable+Products+with+%22Bybee+Inside%22

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #9 on: 28 Apr 2011, 02:13 am »
Oh sweet Tom!  I went to Wayne's site and they're $300.  What am I missing now?

http://www.boldercables.com/servlet/Search?category=Bolder+Cable+Products+with+%22Bybee+Inside%22

You're paying for Wayne's time as well, as he probably installs them etc...

Wayne,

The last time I spoke to Doug Hall about 2 weeks ago, he was planning on having it available to DIY'ers through Parts Connexion but with somewhat limited customer service support as they don't have the time or staff currently. Basically, if you don't understand the instructions or white paper, don't try it. Be that as it may, their instructions are quite thorough:

Bybee Labs Music Rail Applications and Data

Anand.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 28 Apr 2011, 02:15 am »
You're paying for Wayne's time as well, as he probably installs them etc...

The last time I spoke to Doug Hall about 2 weeks ago, he was planning on having it available to DIY'ers through Parts Connexion but with somewhat limited customer service support as they don't have the time or staff currently. Basically, if you don't understand the instructions or white paper, don't try it. Be that as it may, their instructions are quite thorough:

Bybee Labs Music Rail Applications and Data

Anand.

See below..

Wayne,

JohnR

« Reply #11 on: 28 Apr 2011, 02:18 am »
Anand - are they a shunt regulator similar in concept to Broskie's Janus? (Except done in SS).

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #12 on: 28 Apr 2011, 02:21 am »
Anand - are they a shunt regulator similar in concept to Broskie's Janus? (Except done in SS).

No clue whatsoever. I do know they use a Mosfet but Jack Bybee is pretty tight lipped on what is exactly in it. There's a whole thread on diyaudio about how it is targeted for audiophools and floobydust etc...however, testers who I trust have been pretty impressed with the results so...I'll probably give it a shot.

Anand.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 28 Apr 2011, 02:26 am »
They look like high current, low dropout, voltage regulators.   

Will be interesting to read some of the listening trials with these in DIY uses.

Wayne1

« Reply #14 on: 28 Apr 2011, 02:37 am »
The fact that they are being offered through Parts Connexion is news to me. When I first started using them, I was assured that they were not going to be offered to the DIY market.

I guess they didn't have enough sales.

They are not voltage regulators. You will need to regulate the voltage before the Music Rails. They do take a certain amount of voltage and current to operate. That needs to be taken into consideration when installing them. They are NOT plug and play.

I do need to change the operating voltage when I install the Music Rails in the SB power supplies. It does take a decent amount of time and effort to get everything working correctly.

The Music Rails do take at least a week of 24/7 use to start to sound decent after installation. They do sound absolutely awful during that week.

mgalusha

« Reply #15 on: 28 Apr 2011, 03:29 am »
I've installed them in two devices so far, my DAC and a pair of Nuforce REF 18 amps. I spoke with the owner of the Nuforce amps last night and he's very happy with the results and no longer has the urge to stop listening, said he was up to 2am last weekend enjoying his music.

In my DAC I seem to get better dynamics and improved bass; I too am happy with the results. As Wayne and Anand mentioned, if you don't understand the docs and know the existing parameters of your power supply it would be best to leave the installation to someone who does understand what is needed to ensure a successful result. 

Rclark

« Reply #16 on: 11 Oct 2011, 07:25 pm »

Anyone else try these yet? I'm considering having my dac upgraded, rather than sell it.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: 11 Oct 2011, 07:29 pm »
Anyone else try these yet? I'm considering having my dac upgraded, rather than sell it.

I find it hard to believe that installing these would be the deciding factor of keeping it or selling it.  If you don't like the way it sounds now chances are you will still be unhappy. 

Rclark

« Reply #18 on: 11 Oct 2011, 07:38 pm »
No I like it a lot. It's not a case of dislike, especially with the LDR, and with my amp on batts, it's a case of want to improve performance to possibly keep long term.

Mostly curious. Not a lot of talk about these.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #19 on: 11 Oct 2011, 07:48 pm »
Ok, have one of the 2 Amp Music Rails and the PC Board coming from PC. 

Will see what happens with them installed in my DIY DAC.