Nightingale Review

Pirate

Nightingale Review
« on: 1 Apr 2004, 08:05 pm »
I recieved this from AC member 1000a. He asked me to post it so here it is.

I have had my Nightingales for about a month, love em. With a good subwoofer they are incredible, I mean incredible.

Without the sub mine produce bass down to no kidding (20hz @ 58db) (25hz @ 68db) (31.5hz @ 73db) albeit with the starting figure of 80db @ 1 khz. I really was not expecting that kind of extention out of these.

With out the sub they are all of the below mentioned but with it they just open up that much more, their character if I might call it that is simply enhanced.

Open very open sounding spkrs
venue ambience conveyed easily
grt soundstage (walk right in it)
excellent imaging (center image holds even when I move quite close to speakers)
good impact-dynamics
wonderful-very tuneful harmonically satisfing bass that is quite tight.
smooth, effortless flow to music
very good with jazz and classical
and they stand up and bark with hard hitting rock and roll, example-say Joe Jackson- I'm the man

Placement is a little difficult, happy to help email me.

please place a copy of this on the forum (I am new to this) if you would like- there is really very little feed back on these speakers and needs to be.

george

Thank you 1000a  :thankyou:

Now if I can just get mine delivered (Klaus?)

Brian

Nightingale Review
« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2004, 05:50 am »
Sound nice.

I can't wait to get my new set-up:

Tempest, Stratos (120.000uF) and the Nightingale.

P.S. Which Sub are you using?

Eduardo AAVM

Nightingale Review
« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2004, 08:02 am »
I almost can't wait until Klaus comes back from Canada and ship my long awaited Nightingales...

TheeeChosenOne

Nightingale Review
« Reply #3 on: 2 Apr 2004, 04:50 pm »
Nightingales sound like the Loreleis, but with a tad less bass.....not a problem, as you can add a sub.  The Nighties don't need a sub, however, as they have a bottom end to satisfy the grand majority of users.

I believe Klaus has a pair in his living room--the ultimate vote of confidence for the sonics of this speaker.  ;)

They are a very good floorstander indeed, with very high WAF.

Marbles

Nightingale Review
« Reply #4 on: 2 Apr 2004, 07:23 pm »
Quote from: TheeeChosenOne
Nightingales sound like the Loreleis, but with a tad less bass.....not a problem, as you can add a sub.  The Nighties don't need a sub, however, as they have a bottom end to satisfy the grand majority of users.

I believe Klaus has a pair in his living room--the ultimate vote of confidence for the sonics of this speaker.  ;)

They are a very good floorstander indeed, with very high WAF.

I was at Klaus's last Tuesday and he had Lorelies and Bel Cantos in his living room.

I heard the Circe a very long time ago and very much liked the sound and the looks of them.  I can only imagine the Nightingales to be better.

1000a

Nightingale Review
« Reply #5 on: 2 Apr 2004, 07:57 pm »
I use the HSU VTF-2 subwoofer, here is a link to a review:

http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/hsu_vtf2.htm

The review also has a link to the HSU website, this is a whole lot of (musical) subwoofer for 500.  Although HT is not my thing it is highly rated in that regard also.  If this does not have the reach you want (flat to 25hz) you can select the one just above it at about 700. and go flat to 20hz.

I have found a SPL meter very helpful in integrating (and helping me in general) my Nightingales with my sub, here is a link to info on such a meter:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/spl-meter_e.html

Please be patient as you wait for your Nightingales the designer and builder Alain Courteau is not a "factory" but a passionate speaker builder and designer, although I can relate to the excitement, while I also waited for mine   8)  

Gee, Klaus this would be a great time to get Alain involved in this thread so we might give and get feed back on these wonderful speakers from the man behind them!?  :D

While a sub is not needed becuase the Gales reach quite low, I am biased towards them because it gets me to a full range thats just not available until one spends ridiculus amonts of money on speakers and has things in the room the size of humans.

Another thing I really love about these speakers is they have a pretty small face and foot print making them much more like small monitors on stands (without the hassell or expence) which helps them to hide themselves very well while presenting music, one of the things that make really good small monitor speakers so loveable.  The sound stage is there with very little indication of how it got there.  While listening to 6,500. 6 foot tall, 2.5 wide Legacys it is very hard to forget the music is not coming from the cabinets themselves.

While I continue to praise another contributing factor to my purchase of these was the downward firing port as opposed to rear firing, this gave  me more placement options.  Although I seriously listen with the grills off I really prefer having grills for all the passages of time when I am not in the sweet spot.

This is an awful lot of speaker for 1,300. and really deserves ink along with the likes of the Ellis Audio and other homegrown excellent speakers discussed at length in the other forums such as 2 channel audio and the critics circle.

Marbles

Nightingale Review
« Reply #6 on: 2 Apr 2004, 08:09 pm »
Over two years ago I posted this review of the Circe, the little brother of the Nightengales.

http://www.harmonicdiscord.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3607&highlight=vanessa

These speakers SHOULD get more run then they do.  A lot of speaker for not that much money in a high WAF cabinet.

Pirate

Nightingale Review
« Reply #7 on: 3 Apr 2004, 01:48 am »
Arrrgh…This wait is startin te gets to me  :banghead: . Seems like months have gone by since me order was placed. Now I hears Klaus has gone on holiday :wave: . The poor man obviously stressed out countin all those gold doubloons he’s a makins. :jester:  I be waitin on the Nightingales too. All this here talk has gotten me timbers a shiverin for mees upgrade. UPS better not screw these up or someone is walkin the plank :flak: . In the meantime please keep the reviews commin :thumb: . And thanks to all that have chimed in here. :thankyou:

klaus@odyssey

Nightingale Review
« Reply #8 on: 12 Apr 2004, 05:53 am »
Thanks all.  Yep,  I'm really hot for teh Nightingales.  For the $$$ they're absolutely stiunning.  BTW,  Pirate,  yours are being shipped tomorrow,  Monday.

Pirate

Nightingale Review
« Reply #9 on: 12 Apr 2004, 04:28 pm »
:hyper:  :hyper:  :hyper:  :hyper:

Thanks Klaus!

Please take care of that little one. Glad to hear he is doing better.

Pirate

Nightingale Review
« Reply #10 on: 20 Apr 2004, 01:29 pm »
Their here!  Their here! :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:

Out of the box the dark cherry fits well in thir surroundings. I must say these really hit my wife as good looking speakers. Already a big 5 stars for WAF!

After attaching the bases and hooking up, they are already performing substantialy beyond my previous speakers. I will wait to post a review at a later date till I have had a bit more time with them. :mrgreen:

PS....UPS did their best trying to damage them by the look of the box.

pugs

Nightingale Review
« Reply #11 on: 26 Apr 2004, 02:08 pm »
How are they coming along?

jasonc

Nightingale Review
« Reply #12 on: 26 Apr 2004, 11:38 pm »
Also Pirate, do you have any pics?

Eduardo AAVM

Nightingale Review
« Reply #13 on: 27 Apr 2004, 12:07 am »
I feel soo happy for you, I hope I'll be in the same situation soon....

Pictures yes... Post some...

randog

Nightingale Review
« Reply #14 on: 27 Apr 2004, 05:24 am »
Anyone have some good pics of these speakers? Is the rear finished as well? Binding post location, etc?

I'd also like to see the darker cherry finish.  8)

Eduardo AAVM

Nightingale Review
« Reply #15 on: 27 Apr 2004, 06:03 am »
I just keep wondering how better or how different will be the sound with the Nighingales instead the Epiphonies. What will I win ? Will I loose something ?

Pirate

Nightingale Review
« Reply #16 on: 2 May 2004, 02:55 pm »
I have some photos. But I can't paste them.  :banghead:  Any suggestions?

Marbles

Nightingale Review
« Reply #17 on: 2 May 2004, 04:14 pm »
Go to the Galleries section, create a gallery and up load them there.

Then copy the URL from your gallery to this section.

It's really pretty easy.

Pirate

Nightingale Review
« Reply #18 on: 3 May 2004, 05:18 am »
Ok,  Here is a photo of Nightingales Dark Cherry.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=294

:P Added Four more pictures to above :wink:

Captain Humble

Nightingale Review
« Reply #19 on: 3 May 2004, 07:48 am »
Pirate,
Nice job on the pictures.
If they sound as good as they look you've hit a homer!
Enjoy,
Jeff