switching drives from c to using e

bummrush

switching drives from c to using e
« on: 26 Apr 2011, 10:59 pm »
 How come i switch  and use drive E when my C drive is filling up?Its windows pc.

pjchappy

Re: switching drives from c to using e
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2011, 11:52 pm »
Not sure exactly what you are trying to ask.

If you are asking what I think, your main drive is close to full and you are now storing stuff on another drive?  If this is an internal drive (interval v. external for speed purposes), make sure your temporary folder(s) (such as your temporary Internet cache) is set to the E: and not the C:.

OR when one drive is close to full, Windows is writing to another drive???  If this is the case, I haven't dealt with this before. . .but it sounds like the way Windows is managing your drives.  A drive should never get 100% full.  That leaves no room to defrag, etc.  Not sure what your issue with this is?

Hope this helps.  If not, please clarify your concern.

Paul

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2011, 03:39 am »
Here was the original question and my general answer

Quote from: bummrush on Today at 10:04 AM

Can I ask a quick ? My drive c is filling up.  Can I or can't I use drive e with all it's open space? How the heck do I get the computer to use it.   Thanks sorry for side comment. Also I would take your imputed in and let clean insides professionally it's pretty amazing

You have a Windows PC or Mac PC? I will assume Windows...

The operating system and application such as Office (Word, Excel) or other apps, such as your web browser will all install on the C: drive by default.

Since this has probably already happened before you got the PC (and there is nothing wrong with having apps installed on C: in addition to the OS), you can now move your application data and document files to your E: drive, and also begin saving any new data to your E: Drive. Much of your data is probably in "My Documents". I like to create folders on the non-C drives for my data, such as Pictures, Paid (paid bill screen-shots, excel spreadsheets, etc.), Documents (text or Word documents, pdf files, etc.), Music, Games, or whatever. All this data will fill up your C drive and you will run out of space, slowing down your PC and causing other problems.

You can (and usually should) also move your 'paging' file (or 'swap' file) your E: drive. That file size would typically be 1x to 2x the amount of RAM on your PC. If you want to pursue this I suggest starting a new topic in the IT Circle.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2011, 03:59 am »
It takes some understanding and skill to move your data from C: to E:

If you just want to move a folder or directory which holds only pictures or music files, you can just copy the folder or directory from c: to E:  For example, drag the folder from C: to E in the Explorer window, or from the DOS prompt,  C:\> XCopy c:\MyMusic\*.* e:\MyMusic

More difficult tasks include moving your paging file from C: to E:, or changing your default user data from "C:\Documents and Settings\user_name" to "E:\Documents and Settings\user_name".

Here are links to tutorials for those 2 tasks:

http://www.chotocheeta.com/2007/12/21/move-your-page-file-virtual-memory-to-another-drive/

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307886

http://computeradvisors.net/windows-xp/move-user-profile-from-c-drive-to-another-drive-in-windows-xp/

If you change the registry you need to make a backup first so you can restore it if you make a mistake!

I got these tutorials by searching on Google - if you have Windows 7, seach using "Windows 7"

These tasks basically require following a tutorial until you learn more about moving the data, and you will have to make decisions about what you specifically want to do on your PC.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2011, 05:04 am by jqp »