Cheap and Cheerful DAC's!!!A thread about DAC's under $500-

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Cheap and Cheerful DAC's!!!A thread about DAC's under $500-
« Reply #80 on: 21 Aug 2011, 01:34 pm »
So the XDA-1 was a big or small step up from the onboard DAC in the ERC-1?  Next, the transport in the ERC-2 was better than the 1, or the DAC in the ERC-2 was better than the XDA-1?  Not doubting you here, just trying to get it straight in my head.  I think I remember you saying something about connectivity options in the ERC-2 being the difference?  I'm old and easily confused.   

I started last summer with the ERC-1 player. I liked it so much I preordered the XDA-1. I liked that so much I sold my ERC-1 as soon as the 2 was announced and bought that. That's called loyalty. I'm loyal because it is a superior product for the money.

Rclark

« Reply #81 on: 21 Aug 2011, 08:41 pm »
It's actually an admittedly small step from the ERC-2 at least. But I use that as a transport anyway. But it is a noticeable improvement over the 1 for sure. The 2 has fully balanced, the 1 doesn't. The 2 has a bunch of little refinements, new loader, stuff.

Rclark

« Reply #82 on: 21 Aug 2011, 11:29 pm »
- Not to overly wave the flag or become an Emotiva fanboy. I will move upwards in this hobby much like everyone does. Ill try other gear, my dac will eventually be replaced by something super fancy in the quest for ever higher fidelity. Although I can't ever forsee the need to replace the cdp. But for those just starting out or looking for really excellent inexpensive gear from a company that's going to be around, offering a killer warrantee , customer service, and constantly introducing new gear, Emotiva is a safe bet. My $.15.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #83 on: 22 Aug 2011, 01:07 pm »
No worries, you're just answering questions.  It's when you go on and on without anyone requesting you to that you get referred to by that nomenclature whose use is banned on AC so I can't spell out. 

ttan98

« Reply #84 on: 23 Aug 2011, 11:54 pm »
Hi,

A different version of WM8740 DAC is sold here:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DIR9001-PCM2706-WM8740-Parallel-Mono-DAC-Coaxial-USB-/110675633109?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c4c823d5#ht_3335wt_905

and discussed here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/186213-wolfson-wm8740-dir9001-pcm2706-diy-dac.html

lots of choices, even a fully assembled and cased unit is now very well priced, you can buy a very good unit for about $300. Those who are looking for variety and choices should head of to this site:

http://www.head-fi.org/f/7/dedicated-source-components

There are plenty of reviews and discussions here on many brands of DACs. I bought 2 units here based on their reviews and discussions.

Cheers and have fun.

Jfondell

« Reply #85 on: 23 Sep 2011, 10:01 pm »
Has anyone done a comparison to between the Emotiva DAC and the Peachtree IDAC? I need a DAC for my SONOS.

Thanks