I discovered this cheap great little NOS DAC from the Netherlands

RCduck7

It's been a while i posted here, i had the DacMagic when it came out and almost immediatly upgraded it internally and there was little improvement to be found. I also had a much more expensive Xindak DAC-8 after that wich was a beautiful component that also looked more expensive for it's price under 1000 euro and sounded very beautiful, especially for the midrange blossem. Still it lacked bass fundament in my system and therefore i sold it and kept the DacMagic as good bass is very important to me. I have experimeted with DAC's in CD players and receivers after that, also a highly regarded chinese MHZS CD88G CD player wich in certain circles get much respect. I thought i couldn't do better in this price range but i was wrong. Yes for it's price for abour 800 to 900 euro's the MHZS is better then some more higher price range gear with it's top loading mechanism cd transport and great DAC but when i read the review and forums of the small but well made looking Metrum acoustics Quad NOS mini DAC from the Netherlands i decided to order it, it's only 345 euro (was 299 euro when it came out) and in the review, the reviewer couldn't decide between this and it's much more expensive and modified reference DAC.
When i got the DAC, straight out of the box it sounded smooth and allready better then my DacMagic, and after some burn in it really sounded balanced and a sense of cohesion that i didn't witnessed before in my system. This DAC in Quad form (there is also a cheaper Duo DAC to choose from) uses 4 DAC's, 2 per channel and becausse of the succes of this review and more then expected sales of this DAC they are developing a new Octave DAC wich uses 8 DAC's and a seperate power supply with a price between 700 to 800 euro dependent of wich power supply you get. Metrum acoustics clearly won me over and i don't have the urge to upgrade anymore as i know more expensive isn't always better, when i start listening to music i just can't drag myself to bed and turn the thing off! Great DAC for the money and certainly one to consider!! But you will need to find a way to not use USB as it is Only coax and optical in. The Website... http://www.metrum-acoustics.nl/hoofdpagina_engels.html

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Isn't it a great time to be an audiophile.

Improvements in technology is making DAC's look easy, small, and cheaper.

Sure you can still spend $$$$ for a DAC, but the bottom end is filling up with options.

RCduck7

Yes it is.

I haven't heard the Easter Electric Minimax DAC yet wich is hailed at this forum it seems, but is more expensive. I wish to compare it some day to this Metrum DAC, only becausse many people like the EE DAC, not becausse i personally feel to compare it though, becausse i don't have much hope to find something better then this now that i have the feeling to live with this little DAC for a very long time, but still... it makes me curious.
« Last Edit: 25 Apr 2011, 07:36 pm by RCduck7 »

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
  Interesting find thanks.

charles

RCduck7

To find more info and feedback about this product in English is almost non existent i believe but here is a dutch review and some good comments about it on a dutch forum if it means something for someone...

http://www.hifi.nl/recensies/4265/Metrum-Acoustics-NOS-Mini-DACs.html

http://www.htforum.nl/yabbse/index.php?topic=106289.0

For those curious about it's design, i think noone still knows what type of DAC's it uses onboard, except it's designers off coursse.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
I sent them an email earlier and they take your order and money then place an order in their system, they gave me these estimated US prices:
 The DUO is    $359
 The Quad is   $445
They pointed me to this review which may be the same...

srb

I believe it uses some of the Philips TD154x DAC chips.  Of course using multiple NOS DACs in parallel is nothing new.  There are certainly many Asian DACs employing 8 Philips TDA1543 in parallel, among them the fairly popular Valab NOS DAC at ~ $200.

My one experience with a NOS DAC, the MHDT Paradisea (single chip), seemed to be nothing out of the ordinary and a little disappointing.  But so was my one experience with a full-range driver speaker, the CSS FR-125, so trying one example of a technology is not enough to make a judgement on the genre.

But as we all know, implementation, board layout, analog stage and power supplies are all key ingredients.  I don't know why I get more excited about European electronics than Chinese electronics, but I do.  Perhaps the expectation of greater precision, longer, more mature development time and more tasteful packaging.

I'll stay tuned to see if anyone else pulls the trigger on this baby.

Steve

RCduck7

I sent them an email earlier and they take your order and money then place an order in their system, they gave me these estimated US prices:
 The DUO is    $359
 The Quad is   $445
They pointed me to this review which may be the same...

When i ordered the Quad DAC just before christmas, december 2010 i had to wait 6 weeks for it, this was a few weeks after the review when i placed my order. But maybe things may have changed for the better rightnow, don't know. Cees Ruijtenberg from Metrum Acoustics should be easy to deal with from my experience.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Very fast to reply, I'm sure they are fine although he didn't give me lead times so I don't know how long they take.

RCduck7

Very fast to reply, I'm sure they are fine although he didn't give me lead times so I don't know how long they take.

If your intrested, don't hesitate to ask him how long it will take. On the dutch forums i yet have to across someone who is dissapointed in this DAC. Allthough system matching is crucial, from my experience this more of a problem with amps and speakers and lesser with sources. The only small niggle i could find when i played this DAC straight out of the box is that the highs are a little held back but after a while it opens up and highs will bthere when they supposed to be on the recording. When listening to an other DAC it just sounds not as right compared to the Metrum. The Duo DAC is a very good partner for small or computer based systems while the Quad DAC supposed to have more finesse in audiophile systems (i never compared these 2 type of DAC's personally). I wonder how the Octave DAC will be when it comes out. But i can't imagine it will be a a LOT better then the Quad DAC.

RCduck7

I guess 6moons is going to do a review on one of their DAC's, propably the Octave DAC.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/metrum/1.html

DavidS

nice review at 6 moons is up today.  The Octave sounds like an amazing value dac although probably not cheap enough for cheap and cheerful.  Only disappointment is its not usb so will need a spdif to usb connector or optical connector.  Know Srajan occasionally reads here - no information in the article that I could see about how you connected the dac to your iMac.  Subject to connectivity this may finally be the dac that gets me to leap into the deep end (currently have dacmagic that only does 16/48) with a modern dac.

Chris Adams

I ordered an Octave a few days ago. Cees said a 3 week wait, not bad. I have a highly modified Teredak Chameleon with 16 TDA1543 chips that I like very much. NOS sound is my cup of tea. The Octave does not qualify as cheap and cheeful according to forum description. About $1000 USD depending on Euro/USD conversion. Considering the gear Srajan compared to the Octave in his review, it is a huge bang for the buck. I'll keep you posted. 

lcrim

The 6Moons review includes a Blue Moon award.  My reaction is that this DAC and its very revolutionary methodology has moved the target for digital source quality.
Progress in the digital source area has always moved very quickly, I think we are witnessing another leap forward with this device.

Larry

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
USB connection
« Reply #14 on: 7 Jul 2011, 03:36 pm »
I mentioned a number of D/Ds like the M2Tech hiFace, Halide Bridge, April Music Stello U3 and KingRex UC192 which would link up to an iMac or any other computer with USB. I used the S/PDIF output of the Zodiac Gold...

Revolutionary? I think not. R/2R chips are how digital started before most everything migrated to delta-sigma converters. Cees simply went back to the roots, just not with the usual old Philips chips or even the remaining modern R/2R variants but dug into the industrial sector where he works to find something normally not used for audio purposes.

The plain fact is, well-done digital today doesn't diverge much anymore. If you take 10 competent DACs, level-match them perfectly and run a comparison, you'll find less differences than in most other categories. The Octave DAC is simply well designed, with a minimalist signal path, a direct-sell approach and really good performance for less - but it's not revolutionary  :nono:

RCduck7

The Octave DAC is cheerful but not cheap (ok, perhaps it can de considered cheap compared to the stuff it was up against), but what i know from the guys from the dutch forums that own both the cheaper Quad and Octave DAC, is that they still could live easely with the Quad DAC, the quad certainly doesn't sound wrong after listening to the Octave. The Quad and also the Duo DAC is certainly Cheap and Cheerful!!

I haven't yet read the review of the Octave as i am writing this, i will do now. :thumb:

BUIZESMURF

Hi,i am new here.From Belgium just below the Netherlands.I used already the Quad dac from metrum for about a year and now i have the octave for a mounth.I am not tecnicaly att all,butt my ears told me it where very good Dac,s specialy for that price.I know hi end hifi must be big,heavy and expensive,but not these.But for me all what counts is the result,enjoying the music so i am proud that a dutch small company is the subject here for us the BIG states.
Regards Rudi

http://my.hifi.nl/index.php?user=100

magic12kenneth

Srajan from 6moon has a review comparison between TotalDAC and Metrum Octave NOS DAC. It is very favorable between two but with a different presentation.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/totaldac2/1.html

"Where TotalDAC and Octave differed was in their extent of mellifluousness. The French deck was more so. It rendered staging as more laid-back. The Dutch double box felt slightly more forward or projecting. Its contrast of sound against silence seemed a pitch higher. Compared to the Delta-Sigma converters' shinier edge/edgier shine, one could be compelled to detect in the Octave a minor remnant which the TotalDAC relinquished altogether. Perhaps. The core takeaway of the NOS approach is a shift in gestalt. There's subjectively less treble energy and as a result less transient-sharpened contrast and pixilation thereof. By softening/lessening attack and adrenaline aspects and diminishing constant sheen and gloss, what comes to the fore are elements of ease, fluidity and heaviness. The latter means material substance rather than ponderousness.Where TotalDAC and Octave differed was in their extent of mellifluousness. The French deck was more so. It rendered staging as more laid-back. The Dutch double box felt slightly more forward or projecting. Its contrast of sound against silence seemed a pitch higher. Compared to the Delta-Sigma converters' shinier edge/edgier shine, one could be compelled to detect in the Octave a minor remnant which the TotalDAC relinquished altogether. Perhaps. The core takeaway of the NOS approach is a shift in gestalt. There's subjectively less treble energy and as a result less transient-sharpened contrast and pixilation thereof. By softening/lessening attack and adrenaline aspects and diminishing constant sheen and gloss, what comes to the fore are elements of ease, fluidity and heaviness. The latter means material substance rather than ponderousness."

wilsynet

Re: USB connection
« Reply #18 on: 12 Jul 2011, 10:54 pm »
Revolutionary? I think not. R/2R chips are how digital started before most everything migrated to delta-sigma converters. Cees simply went back to the roots, just not with the usual old Philips chips or even the remaining modern R/2R variants but dug into the industrial sector where he works to find something normally not used for audio purposes.

Perhaps innovative would be a better word than revolutionary.  But is there another high resolution (ie. better than 16/44.1) DAC that is non-oversampling?

RCduck7

Re: USB connection
« Reply #19 on: 13 Jul 2011, 03:30 pm »
Perhaps innovative would be a better word than revolutionary.  But is there another high resolution (ie. better than 16/44.1) DAC that is non-oversampling?

I am not sure what you mean but even the Quad DAC goes to 174.6 khz and sometimes 192Khz was measured according to the dutch review.

Also be warned that the Octave DAC needs at least 4 weeks to reach it's potential, at first the Octave can sound bright in comparison to the Quad DAC that reaches it's potential sooner.