1.7 vs 1.6

pelliott321

1.7 vs 1.6
« on: 25 Apr 2011, 12:32 pm »
How many of you guys have actually compared the 1.7 to the 1.6 in the same room/system.
Just curious of your impressions.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: 1.7 vs 1.6
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2011, 12:57 am »
Looks like it's only the two of us?

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2011, 01:16 am »
I have not heard them back to back but have help set-up a half dozen pair of 1.6s over the years.  I have heard the 1.7s once in a room at a store I'm familiar with and have heard the 1.6s many times in there.  From first impressions, I do like the 1.7s better.  It's on my to do list one of these days to try a more direct comparison

AVnerdguy

« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2011, 02:00 am »
Looks like it's only the two of us?

Well, if someone wants to send a pair of 1.6 I'll be happy to do a comparison! Seriously, I'd really like to hear them side by side. I guess I'll wait until my 3.7s come in and I'll report on those next to the 1.7s before they leave for their next happy home. I'm sure the wife is gonna love that  :lol:

Bear Heath

« Reply #4 on: 30 Apr 2011, 02:15 am »
Well, if someone wants to send a pair of 1.6 I'll be happy to do a comparison! Seriously, I'd really like to hear them side by side. I guess I'll wait until my 3.7s come in and I'll report on those next to the 1.7s before they leave for their next happy home. I'm sure the wife is gonna love that  :lol:

I'd be happy to bring my 1.6s over for a comparison. Send me a PM if you are interested.
Thanks

pelliott321

« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2011, 12:17 pm »
At first I was prejudiced against the 1.7 from hearing them at a friends house being driven by  high powered SS amps.  They sounded forward and harsh to me.  Then, I next heard the at a local dealers driven by a Rogue integrated (glass, maybe 50watts) and they sounded fabulous.  Then I spent a Sunday morning at Steve's house and we compared the 1.7's to his 1.6's (among other things) driven by some very impressive VTL's.  I have to admit, that I do like the 1.7's better but the differences seem small enough that if I had 1.6's I would not upgrade to the 1.7's.  If you sold your 1.6's for a grand, it would cost you another grand to get the 1.7's and I feel its not worth it.  going from a 1.6 to a 3.7 would be a major gain (albeit, very expensive).
The differences I heard were mostly that the 1.7's played louder than the 1.6's at the same preamp settings.  I can only wonder if that is what most people are hearing.  An increase in loudness even by as little as 1db will always sound better.  I just have the feeling if you matched loudness's between the two and was able to switch back and forth quickly, IMHO the differences would be very little.

BaMorin

• AR turntable rebuilder/modifyer
« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2011, 12:54 pm »
At first I was prejudiced against the 1.7 from hearing them at a friends house being driven by  high powered SS amps.  They sounded forward and harsh to me.  Then, I next heard the at a local dealers driven by a Rogue integrated (glass, maybe 50watts) and they sounded fabulous.  Then I spent a Sunday morning at Steve's house and we compared the 1.7's to his 1.6's (among other things) driven by some very impressive VTL's.  I have to admit, that I do like the 1.7's better but the differences seem small enough that if I had 1.6's I would not upgrade to the 1.7's.  If you sold your 1.6's for a grand, it would cost you another grand to get the 1.7's and I feel its not worth it.  going from a 1.6 to a 3.7 would be a major gain (albeit, very expensive).
The differences I heard were mostly that the 1.7's played louder than the 1.6's at the same preamp settings.  I can only wonder if that is what most people are hearing.  An increase in loudness even by as little as 1db will always sound better.  I just have the feeling if you matched loudness's between the two and was able to switch back and forth quickly, IMHO the differences would be very little.

Which raises the question(s) in me.........if one were to be able to mic the most micro information in the recording of both the 1.6 and 1.7 along with setting both at the same loudness via pink noise. Would the "seemingly" extra loudness you refer to as a greater dynamic range within the music itself?  If so, would this create a wider and deeper soundfield?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2011, 10:10 pm »
The sensitivity is the same for both speakers: 86dB/500Hz /2.83v.
If my VTLs ever go missing I'll know where to look...

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2011, 10:21 pm »
I have heard both and the difference is apparent but not dramatic.  I heard them both here in Minneapolis at Audio Perfection.  They had the first production pair in the country. The 1.7's do sound better but I would not sell my 1.6's for the 1.7's.  I would say that the top end is somewhat better on the 1.7's.  I also prefer the wood trim on the 1.6's instead of the aluminum on the 1.7's, however you can order the 1.7's with the wood trim.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2011, 11:22 pm »

I've read a couple of reviews now that said the Rogue integrated sounded really sweet with the 1.7's. Was this at lower levels or moderate? I don't like ear-splitting volume, but do crank it up on occasion. Do you think the Rogue you heard (I assume it was the Cronus) is capable of providing realistic volume levels for the average listener?

Thanks,

Slush

pelliott321

« Reply #10 on: 16 May 2011, 12:53 pm »
when I heard the 1.7 with the Rogue we did not play it loud. the volume control was just barely above half way.  I did not have a chance to drive it louder.
When I auditioned the 3.7 in another room driven by a Rogue power amp (I believe 90watts) I was alone and could play a bit.  It sounded great at low volume but fell apart as I turned it up which I attributed to not enough guts with the amp 

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 22 May 2011, 11:11 pm »
AVnerdguy,
Did your 3.7s show up yet?
Lynda and I gave a pair a listen today and they're REALLY impressive. 
Picture a big 1.7 with the ribbon for the highs and that's them.

AVnerdguy

« Reply #12 on: 22 May 2011, 11:37 pm »
Not yet. I'm hoping in the next 30 days or so. Last time I took the 1.7s with the standard color scheme from inventory as I didn't want to wait for what I really wanted - but since I have the 1.7s I can wait this time to get the scheme I ordered.

I am getting a bit anxious though. I'm going to keep the 1.7's for a bit after I get the 3.7s and set them up together for a comparison. Will be a bit crowded in the house!

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 25 May 2011, 10:02 pm »
Looks like we'll both be comparing 1.7s and 3.7s as I just pulled the trigger - black with natural oak.
If I may, I'd like to give a plug for The Listening Room in Towson, MD - just down the road from me off of Suicide Circle (Rt 695) which goes around Baltimore and DC.
Real nice people and a great sales approach - you make an appointment and they go here's the stuff, got any questions, have fun and they shut the door.
The ultimate Anti Best Buy approach which suits me to a T.
A great experience and my wife says okay because these speakers will bring me many hours of happiness.  She's a keeper.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #14 on: 25 May 2011, 11:10 pm »
You in Balmer?  I graduated from Towson University a looooonngg time ago.   :thumb:

AVnerdguy

« Reply #15 on: 25 May 2011, 11:37 pm »

If I may, I'd like to give a plug for The Listening Room in Towson, MD - just down the road from me off of Suicide Circle (Rt 695) which goes around Baltimore and DC.
Real nice people and a great sales approach - you make an appointment and they go here's the stuff, got any questions, have fun and they shut the door.
The ultimate Anti Best Buy approach which suits me to a T.

[/quote]
I figured you bought a pair when I saw the 1.6 AND the 3.6 for sale. Someone will get a good deal there.

Same for the dealer in Minneapolis - Audio Perfection. They just turned me loose and let me play as long as I wanted. Seems to be the best way to sell something in my opinion!

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #16 on: 26 May 2011, 01:17 am »
That's the way a B&M store should work.  When I lived in San Antonio there was a store on San Pedro called Audio Source.  We mostly BS'd during store hours but they let me take home stuff on weekends.  I bought everything they loaned me except for one amp, and I still have it all some 35 years later.

Not sure if that's the same store Galen Carol (Carroll?) operated, but great folks anyway!

'brick

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 26 May 2011, 01:33 am »
I'm in Pennsyltucky but Balmer's just down the road a bit. 
Maybe we need a thread for good audio stores?