aksa amp kits (how difficult)

slowhand6158

« on: 1 Apr 2004, 12:35 pm »
I'm afraid as a newcomer to this forum I run the risk of becoming immediately ostracized by asking one of those "how long is piece of string" type questions during my first posting - but here goes.  I'm wondering just how difficult it is to put together the aksa amp kit.  I've read some great reviews about the kit and read about the sound from the finished product, however, I've also heard stories about people frying themselves when dabbling in power supplies - not with the aksa mind you, with other products.  

The system I'm thinking of putting together would consist of a suitable aksa amp, perhaps Jordan JX92s or selected speakerkit company diys and both analogue and digital sources - perhaps arcam cd player.  Or, if I'm honest and say I'm not all that confident because building the amp sounds a bit daunting, maybe I'd be better off buying an amp from say - Redgum?  They seem to get good reviews. As you can see I've done a bit of homework but need to do a lot more I guess.  

Thanks if you can provide any input.

cheers

slowhand6158

n.b.  I don't have anything against tubes - I'm just not au fait on the subject yet.

Malcolm Fear

« Reply #1 on: 1 Apr 2004, 08:26 pm »
Hi
The AKSA is a fairly straighforward animal to build.
Buy a 2RU case from Altronics.
If your using Jordans (or any other fairly efficient speaker) ask Hugh (you will probably have to cry and beg a little) to provide the pre built power boards (for the 55 watt amp).
You need to be able to put a case together (5.2 minutes), drill 3 holes in the base (for transformers and a tag strip), Drill a couple of holes in the front (power switch and LED), 6 holes in the back (2 for RCA input, 4 for banana sockets), a bloody big rectangular hole in the back (for heatsink), a small square hole in the back (for combined IEC socket and fuse).
So you will need a drill and bits, jigsaw with metal cutting blade, a nibbler ($25 from Jaycar etc).
I am unavailable until mid May. I could help you after then. You could have a look at mine, set up the box (I have the tools). Come back and I could help you wire it up.
Very easy indeed. I've put together about 6 of the AKSA 55's.
BTW, it is a very good amp.

slowhand6158

« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2004, 11:11 am »
Thanks Malcolm for your advice and generous offer of help.  I'm not in any hurry so I'll wait til your back if that's ok.  It would certainly be a big help to have a look at a completed amp and get some tips on constuction.

Malcolm Fear

« Reply #3 on: 2 Apr 2004, 07:54 pm »
Hi
Send me a private message, otherwise I will forget.
I spoke to Hugh yesterday (Mr AKSA). He still supplies the pre-made boards. Costs extra, but well worth it if you're a newbie.