Need Help With a Speaker Review Word

Mass. Wine Guy

Need Help With a Speaker Review Word
« on: 24 Apr 2011, 03:36 pm »
In reading a lot of speaker reviews I often see the term "compressed." This is how the reviewer describes how the speaker sounds (or does not sound) at high volume levels.

What is compressed and what does it sound like? What's the antonym of compressed?

Thank you.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: Need Help With a Speaker Review Word
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2011, 03:53 pm »
The opposite term would be Dynamic.

It means when the music should get louder, it does not go louder.   This squashes the peaks of the music signal as reproduced by the speaker.

werd

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2011, 03:57 pm »
Thermal compression, coils heat up and shrink the speakers response capability. Its sounds starved but it isn't its just overheated. Amps can suffer from thermal compression. Its the same outcome.... shrunken soundstage with a shitty little beat.

werd

« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2011, 04:10 pm »
In reading a lot of speaker reviews I often see the term "compressed." This is how the reviewer describes how the speaker sounds (or does not sound) at high volume levels.

What is compressed and what does it sound like? What's the antonym of compressed?

Thank you.

Opposite to compressed here would be effortless imo.

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2011, 04:19 pm »
Thanks guys (and/or gals). Basically, compressed means the music just ain't singing and flowing in a toe tapping way.

richidoo

« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2011, 04:22 pm »
The size and efficiency of the drivers determine dynamic accuracy. Bigger is better, but $$.

werd

« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2011, 04:39 pm »
Thanks guys (and/or gals). Basically, compressed means the music just ain't singing and flowing in a toe tapping way.

Nailed it ....  :thumb:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2011, 05:50 pm »
 Werd I expected you to have the word. Compression to me is "held back" and" smaller" in size. Size matters.

charles