Troublesome restarting 4B-SST2 after disconnect/ new: solving the issue

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
I was disconnecting my 4B-SST2 to try some different single ended RCA instead of the balance interconnects I had.
Anyway I unplugged the unit before i switched it off (it was 'off' via the 12 volt switch from the preamp.
But afterwards when reconnected it was a pain to get it to turn on.
After I did this and noted the problems were the same as when I first got the unit. I realized IF I followed the rule having the 12volt turn off off from the preamp end. Then turn off the front panel switch THEN flip the switch on the rear before unplugging.
And when back, plug in, then the rear panel switch, then the front.
The Amp alway starts  up perfectly.
So This may be part of the issue like when i got my new amp and it was hell to get it up and turned on. as it just would not turn on. And only a variety of fiddling on off. unplug switch front back etc, got it started.

So if i follow the exact procedure of:
To take off: first off via the 12 volt from preamp. then front panel off, the rear panel off, then unplug.
To start, plug in, rear panel on, front panel on.
then the 12 volt trigger works perfectly straight up.
Just a comment about this issue that I had, and I have heard others complain about at times.
(PS and when I do the connect procedure, I can hear a relay go on when i push the front on button, even though the unit does not go completely on because of the remote 12 volt control is connected but NOT turned on.
Just a heads up on this.
 :D

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature

Whatchoo doin' messin' around with different cables anyway, Elizabeth ? Aren't you the one responsible for starting a thread a while back about how a wire is just a wire? :wink: :D

D.D.

Elizabeth

i was the one, however I used to (years ago) be of  that persuasion. Though i was not a die hard. i thought (and still do) that cables can be 'better' but to spend huge dollars for a cable instead of better equipment, is foolish.
Power cable i thought were BS, and i made some from the Audio Asylum. but finally tried a cheap Pangea and was suprised that i could hear a definite improvement.
So I bought a pile of Pangea... enough to last me forever. I guarantee they are the last powercords I will buy.
In that post you refer to I was merely asking folks who have been beaten back by the pro cablers to step forward. However THAT did not work out, as some wire crazies hijacked the thread and no one who was a non-wire person would have dared to post.

Anyway, I made some cables out of some teflon wire I had laying around and wanted to try them. They sucked. The Kimber Hero was much better, that i already had on the pre to amp interconnection and the Hero went back on as it was much better.
And yeah that Kimber Hero cost me $750. as it is a seven meter long pair..
That is totally crazy money IMO and the ONLY reason I bought it was i had a ton of cash at  the time. Today: I would just use the wires i made. period.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Did you try the Bryston speaker cable? It's only $9 US a foot.

werd

I remember the when i first tried to fire up my 4bsq. It wouldn't work, i sat through dinner thinking about my defective amp.....a big downer. I was able to get it fired up after following the turn on rules listed above ( they sound about the same).  That breaker switch is key somehow.

Elizabeth

Speaker Cable I am 100% stuck on Kimber 8TC. i would never bother to try another cable, gifted for free even. Just not interested.
I like 8TC a lot.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Speaker Cable I am 100% stuck on Kimber 8TC. i would never bother to try another cable, gifted for free even. Just not interested.
I like 8TC a lot.

Cool. That's supposed to be a very good cable.