Clearaudio Syncro Power Generator: Help!

orthobiz

« on: 1 Apr 2004, 12:28 am »
Just received my AC Sine Wave generating wonderful turntable power supply. Read the instructions. Plugged it into the wall.

On the back is a weird looking (female?) IEC jack. I guess the turntable plugs in here, except even my wimpy plug from my old Linn Sondek doesn't fit into the little holes! It looks like the IEC connector on the back of a Macintosh computer: the one you plug into the monitor for automatic screen power on startup of the main CPU.

Needless to say:
Nothing about it on amusicdirect.com (and they are closed for the evening)
Nothing in the manual except you are supposed to connect your "SPG-AC output secondary adapter or other unit" into the back of this thing
Nothing on the clearaudio.de website
(that I can find)

Also needless to say:
I feel kinda dumb 'cause I can't plug the dang thing in!

Anybody know what I might be dealing with here?

Thanks!

biz

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 1 Apr 2004, 12:31 am »
Any chance you can take a picture (digicam)?  I am not sure I can help w/o a picture, as it is hard to know exactly what it is.

orthobiz

« Reply #2 on: 1 Apr 2004, 01:24 am »
I put the photos here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;user=2336

But I can't figure out how to name the album except "untitled" and it doesn't show up in "Gallery."

This is a bad karma day. The outlet looks like the end of an IEC connector with a surrounding rim. Maybe Clearaudio turntables have a weird plug, too?

Thanks JoshK!

biz

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 1 Apr 2004, 01:29 am »
I am an admin of the gallery, what do you want it named as?

orthobiz

« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2004, 01:32 am »
Please name it "orthobiz gallery"
Hopefully I'll add to it when I have better stuff to show off.

Any idea on that connector? How do I plug my two prong turntable in?

biz

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2004, 01:34 am »
my crappy monitor at home (have a 19" LCD Viewsonic coming) makes everything too dark so I can't see anything.  I will have to lighten it in my picture editor.

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 1 Apr 2004, 01:50 am »
indeed that is a female IEC.  I can reterminate your power cord for you with a cable that will work if it is detachable.

orthobiz

« Reply #7 on: 1 Apr 2004, 01:57 am »
Thanks for looking, Josh. I have a Linn, have not popped off the base to look, but would assume I can replace the power cord somewhere under the table.

The connector on the left looks like a regular female IEC, the power cord supplied has a regular male IEC. That one hooks into the wall outlet.

The turntable is somehow supposed to plug into the connector on the right. I have never really seen a connector/adapter/cord that plugs into that kind of hole! Except on my Macintoshes.

Maybe you could point me to a site where they sell all of these things? Or a commercially available product? I might otherwise take you up on your offer...

I'm just bummed because I waited so long for this thing and here it is unusable (like buying a printer that doesn't include a USB cord!).

Thanks again.

biz

PS I tried to upload another picture: my album's renamed (thanks) but I dont' know how to add to it. I'm a mess today...

JoshK

« Reply #8 on: 1 Apr 2004, 02:02 am »
The plug that hooks into the wall isn't an IEC that is why it won't work.  They sell adapters for this purpose on various websites.  I will have to find you one later on when I get a chance.

orthobiz

« Reply #9 on: 1 Apr 2004, 02:03 am »
Hey, I did it! Added a giant photo of the offending IEC.

biz

orthobiz

« Reply #10 on: 1 Apr 2004, 02:48 am »
This may be the solution:

http://www.dedicatedaudio.com/inc/pdetail?v=1&pid=609

Please reply if any better answers to my dilemma. Sorry so many posts, but I was freakin' out!

biz

JoshK

« Reply #11 on: 1 Apr 2004, 03:51 am »
That will do.  That is what I was referring to.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 1 Apr 2004, 03:53 am »
Glad you got it figured out!  I figured JoshK would know.

orthobiz

« Reply #13 on: 1 Apr 2004, 10:28 pm »
Apologies to all! The gosh darn cable connector that I needed was in the box. In my haste yesterday to admire the unit, I left the cable on my desk. There it was this morning!

I'll plug it in and hope to tell you all how well it works...

Thanks!

biz

JoshK

« Reply #14 on: 2 Apr 2004, 02:24 am »
Haha  :lol:  glad it worked out for you!   Where did you get it? Sounds like a great device.

orthobiz

« Reply #15 on: 2 Apr 2004, 03:23 am »
Bought the Clearaudio at amusicdirect.com.
They made the mistake of sending me a 10 percent off coupon.
The unit is totally cool, light green liquid crystal display, either Hz or VAC.
Purple blue LED's. Pushbutton 33/45 (at 900 bucks, much less than a 1600 Lingo, with no installation hassles).

Seems to sound good. Here's the rub: I'm not sure I can hear all the differences I read about with every little tweak you fellow audionuts make. What would be the best type of music to listen to to hear the differences between my wall outlet and the Syncro? Piano? Specific album I could buy? I read in the past that records shouldn't be played twice in a row, to allow for pressure deformation recovery...maybe that was an old wive's tale?

So far I've been crouched on the floor, listening through headphones and rapidly moving the turntable plug...

Well, at least I don't have to change that damn pulley to play my 45's!

biz

JoshK

« Reply #16 on: 2 Apr 2004, 04:06 am »
you should play the music you are accustomed to.