Salk Soundscape Jr Loudspeaker

fine tunes1

Salk Soundscape Jr Loudspeaker
« on: 22 Apr 2011, 06:56 pm »
How many guys would love to have a Soundscape Loudspeaker but it was to big for your little room , or the high cost. Jim may be looking at a 8 inch woofer version
that will still punch out Bass flat to 30hz+.
if interested in this possibility let Jim know that is how possibilities
becomes reality !!

jsalk

Re: Salk Soundscape Jr Loudspeaker
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2011, 01:44 pm »
Just so this does not get off track, we currently are working on something and may be able to announce it shortly.  However, unless our plans change (and we go back to the drawing board and start over), it will probably not have an 8" woofer.  It will probably have a pair of 7" woofers (which will result in higher sensitivity and greater total cone area for the woofer section).  But until we have a design we can sign off on, it is all pretty much speculation.  So I can't really comment further.

- Jim

fsimms

« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2011, 02:53 pm »
It will probably have a pair of 7" woofers (which will result in higher sensitivity and greater total cone area for the woofer section).]It will probably have a pair of 7" woofers (which will result in higher sensitivity and greater total cone area for the woofer section) .

Sounds like a very kewl idea! Being able to use cheaper solid state amps and more reasonably priced tube amps would be an advantage.

Bob

PS That being said, my McCormack 225 does a good job with my SoundScape 10's.  They are only about $1300 used on Agon now.
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2011, 09:48 pm by fsimms »

bummrush

« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2011, 03:16 pm »
Skimp on electronics all you do is skimp on sound

cujobob

« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2011, 03:51 pm »
This sounds like a great idea and one very cool speaker!  I expect it would be quite popular as most audiophiles can't go above $10,000

And skimping on electronics cost doesn't have to mean worse sound.  We live in a world where people have budgets.  Speakers/room make up 80%+ of the overall sound (so long as the rest of the system meets the basic requirements) IMHO.  Spend it where it counts.

fsimms

« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2011, 09:50 pm »
Skimp on electronics all you do is skimp on sound

At 84 db, it would probably take, at least, $4k to buy a used tube amp that would have the quality that I would want.  That amp would probably double my air conditioning bill during the summer.  At 88 db, I could get a very fine tube amp at $2k used that would work wonderfully.  It probably wouldn’t change my A/C bill either.  A great solid state amp is not nearly as big an issue.

Bob

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2011, 10:43 pm »
Jim- Now this is something I could see being really nice for everyone, keep it going Jim. :thumb: :thumb:

ratso

« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2011, 10:24 pm »
sounds great, hope it pans out! something to dream about.

Nuance

« Reply #8 on: 25 Apr 2011, 01:06 pm »

Sounds like a very kewl idea! Being able to use cheaper solid state amps and more reasonably priced tube amps would be an advantage.

Bob

PS That being said, my McCormack 225 does a good job with my SoundScape 10's.  They are only about $1300 used on Agon now.

What a great amp!  I wonder how the newer DNA's perform, such as the 250?

This sounds like a great idea and one very cool speaker!  I expect it would be quite popular as most audiophiles can't go above $10,000

And skimping on electronics cost doesn't have to mean worse sound.  We live in a world where people have budgets.  Speakers/room make up 80%+ of the overall sound (so long as the rest of the system meets the basic requirements) IMHO.  Spend it where it counts.

Well stated, sir!

Jim,

I look forward to this new development.  As was proven (again) at our GTG this past weekend, Salk speakers are still an absolute bargain when it comes to sound quality for your $$$.  And no one touches them as far as build quality and looks go, at least not in their price ranges.

saygrr

« Reply #9 on: 28 Apr 2011, 02:03 am »
The McCormack amps are amazing when they have the Platinum + upgrade from SMC. I have 2 DNA-1 that have been monoblocked, plus the Patinum + up grade. The finest amps I have owned.
I hope to hear more about the Jr. speaker also.

fsimms

« Reply #10 on: 28 Apr 2011, 02:14 pm »
What a great amp!  I wonder how the newer DNA's perform, such as the 250?

Thanks, I agree.  I only know of one review of the new DNA 250.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/power-amplifiers/697-mccormack-ld-2-and-dna-250.html

Bob

Indiansprings

« Reply #11 on: 28 Apr 2011, 10:56 pm »
I bet it would sound great. :green:

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #12 on: 29 Apr 2011, 10:43 pm »
Just so this does not get off track, we currently are working on something and may be able to announce it shortly.  However, unless our plans change (and we go back to the drawing board and start over), it will probably not have an 8" woofer.  It will probably have a pair of 7" woofers (which will result in higher sensitivity and greater total cone area for the woofer section).  But until we have a design we can sign off on, it is all pretty much speculation.  So I can't really comment further.

- Jim

Thanks, Jim. I'm looking forward to this as a future upgrade to pair with Quicksilver Silver 88 Monoblocks. Though, I do hope this "Jr." design keeps the Soundscape's upper tweet/midrange module design.