Project TT help...again

sleepkyng

Project TT help...again
« on: 31 Mar 2004, 09:28 pm »
ok, so my TT is all setup (woohoo!) and my cartridge is aligned (woohoo!) and my table is balanced (woohoo!)

but im still using a crappy felt mat (boo!) and when i put a record on the table, and everything is turned on, the cartridge will make a static noise as if reacting to the vinyl being put on the table...what's up with that???

Tonto Yoder

Project TT help...again
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2004, 11:50 pm »
My TT will do the same thing with its foam mat--it IS static just as you suspect, maybe from the friction of slipping the LP out of its sleeve, maybe just built up in the mat.  My solution is to mute the table when changing records or to use a Mapleshade Ionoclast to neutralize the static on the LP  (it's not safe to Zap near the cartridge).

JoshK

Project TT help...again
« Reply #2 on: 1 Apr 2004, 12:11 am »
happens here too, no biggy I suspect, unless you got the volume cranked.

oracle309

some more help
« Reply #3 on: 2 Apr 2004, 10:55 am »
static here in the Great White North is pretty bad in winter. You can always ground yourself to something prior to handling any turntable/record, etc. Some up here have used liquid fabric softener that they have diluted to help reduce the amount of static "picked up" from walking on carpets, etc. Try a mat that is not made of felt. How's the pro-ject sounding?

sleepkyng

Project TT help...again
« Reply #4 on: 2 Apr 2004, 03:53 pm »
thanks for the tip

the Pro-Ject is singing!

only problem is, since my dorm room is so small, i can't isolate it from the rest of the stuff on my desk (mainly me crunching away at the computer) so i get a lot of noise from that (is that called floor noise?)

but i am quite happy with it, now i just need a better mat and phono stage!

oracle309

glad to hear it.
« Reply #5 on: 3 Apr 2004, 01:13 am »
loose the mat, make one. and if you're really handy make yer own phono stage (or what amp do you have, perhaps an intergrated amp w/phono may be a better solution. As for "noise floor", no, the isolation  of the turntable is the problem. You can make a isolation platform that can mount to yer wall....

sleepkyng

Project TT help...again
« Reply #6 on: 3 Apr 2004, 06:09 pm »
can't do much about the room (it's a dorm room and they're really bitchy about puttin holes in the wall)

i think i'll try a cork mat, could i get cork at Home Depot or Wall Mart?

i use two asl wave 8 monoblocks and the asl wave line preamp. i'm thinking of eventually getting the eddie current hd300 preamp so...

i'm using some no-name mcm phono preamp, i was looking at those gram slee amps that are 150 bucks maybe?

cheers!

sleepkyng

Project TT help...again
« Reply #7 on: 3 Apr 2004, 06:19 pm »
NEW PROBLEM!

my TT's max volume is signifigantly lower than my Cd Players!

it just happened today, otherwise, they've been about the same.

when i get to about 11'oclock on the volume knob when using the TT, the volume maxes out there and the speakers won't put out sound any louder. it's really not loud at all. i'm kinda worried!

thanks in advanced!

colitas

felt mat
« Reply #8 on: 14 Apr 2004, 03:31 am »
If you can't find what you wre looking for, try amusicdirect.com. They have replacement mats for the VPI cleaners, at $12 a piece.