Nasty storm, in time lapse

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Nasty storm, in time lapse
« on: 20 Apr 2011, 02:28 am »
So, the weatherman called for all Hell to break loose tonight, and dusk was coming.
Tornadoes have been spotted, baseball sized hail has been seen. All the local channels have pre-empted programming to show the radar and warn all to seek shelter in the lowest part of the house.

The kids are scared, the wife is concerned, and you're the man of the house. Everyone is looking to you to "fix" the situation.
What's a guy to do? Remain calm, stay level headed. Be The Man8-) 
Grab the cat, take the family downstairs, and then.......take the camera outside for a time lapse.

Of course.

Every ten seconds the shutter snaps, in all 275 pictures taken. The video is replayed at 4 frames per second.
The camera is pointing East, North-East. Note the direction, color, and speed the clouds are traveling, and remember that.
The video starts off slow, but..........{be sure to watch, full screen with the lights off}

http://vimeo.com/22635331

jvc

Re: Nasty storm, in time lapse
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2011, 03:42 am »
Nice video Bob. I think my camera has that feature too, but I haven't tried it yet. I'll probably get around to it one of these days. I'm sure you've seen on the national news about the storms we had around here Saturday. Missed us, personally, but destroyed a lot of property and quite a few lives. We were lucky.

I'm especially glad I don't live in a trailer any more. Haven't for about 30 yrs. It's documented fact that Mother Nature doesn't like a trailer! I hope the bad storms are over for awhile, for everybody.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2011, 04:53 am »
Pretty cool Bob.   :thumb:

George

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2011, 01:54 am »
Nice I will have to try that

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2011, 01:57 am »
Thanks for the complements fellas!  :D

Those of you with the ability, I'd highly recommend it. It's pretty interesting.

If you want to see what REALLY good time lapse looks like, check this out: http://vimeo.com/22439234

That is stunning.

Bob

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2011, 03:26 am »
Bob,

What were the settings on the camera?

Did you use auto-exposure?

George

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2011, 01:12 pm »
Hey George,
Everything is [auto] except for the focus, I leave that manual.

That's only out of ignorance though, not by design. I keep saying "One of these days I'll learn to use the damn thing", but that hasn't happened yet.  :oops:

I do turn off the 'instant image view', otherwise it would eat up the battery in a big hurry.

Bob

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2011, 01:25 pm »
The second one you linked has some serious contrast enhancement - almost looks like HDR. I think your video is cool but from the perspective of someone who wasn't there, it's a little hard to see what the impact is really. Images are not supposed to be "what was there" but "what was felt."

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2011, 02:57 am »
Yes, the other video looked like something seen on NatGeo. Better equipment, more knowledge, etc....
Granted it was "tweeked", but was still some fine photography, in my very humble opinion.

Mine, well...yea, I thought the frantic direction and color change of the clouds was pretty cool.
For my next trick, I'll add some epic music to it. That should help with that "feel of being there".  :thumb:
I'm slow, but I'll get there.

I did find a place with a "zero royalty"/"no copywrite" policy regarding playback for music.
It's harder than it seems choosing music for things like this.

Bob